What is your biggest problem, struggle with Social Anxiety?

What is your biggest problem, struggle with Social Anxiety?

• Total voters

steve faza

Please choose from the list what is your biggest problem, struggle with Social Anxiety.

I am very afraid of starting medication. A doctor wants me to start Lexa Pro medication.
I have also more struggles that I list below.
It is for me private and I don't want to say my name. I am reading the posts and start to think I am not very alone in this. it is a good feeling.

Please share your real think and don't be holding back because I didn't and I am ok with it.

Thank you very much

steve faza

Thank you. It is very good for my feeling to read other member speaking about it without being shy.
Can you please show me other pages I read about other people's experiences and feelings?
I still haven't said yes to lexapro.

LoyalXenite

Lexapro isnt bad, I was on it quite a few years ago and didnt have any bad experience with it, however it wasnt effective for me and I ended up changing to a different kind.

Sacrament

I guess the biggest struggle is seeing other people feel so comfortable (or apparently comfortable) in social situations while I'm sitting there constantly examining every sentence I want to say and wondering if it's interesting/funny enough to say.

LoyalXenite

in what way?
if you're misunderstood, all you have to do is explain yourself and that'll be fine.

Its hard to get the right words sometimes, sometimes no matter how much you explain some people just think differently and dont understand properly.

theoutsider

in what way?
if you're misunderstood, all you have to do is explain yourself and that'll be fine.

It's nowhere near that simple. Usually, when I'm misunderstood, it's gone beyond a simple explanation by the time I even find out I've given the wrong impression. And a simple explanation doesn't do with people who don't understand what social anxiety or OCD really is about. Try telling the average person that the reason you behave in a particular way is because you have anxiety and you will likely get a blank look in response and or a belief that you're just weird. Try telling someone you have OCD and you'll get an answer like, "Oh yeah, I'm a little OCD too. I know this because a messy room drives me crazy" That's not understanding, that's jumping to conclusions based on prejudged notions. Lastly, you can't just explain yourself to people who are committed to not understanding you.

lily

Yes!! Some people won't understand or care if they don't have it but hopefully they'll learn and be more understanding. Sorry to hear that you're going through this.

LoyalXenite

cd6731ba7cc5c09951995224ba36be24.jpg

lily

really good 1! i don't know why i still have social anxiety!! lol i already have a different opinion of myself than before but it's like there's still sth stuck there like i have to do affirmations in my head? i tried it but it didn't work though i didn't try to keep doing it. :idk:

w*n*c*a*m

I know I have improved a lot compared to myself in highschool but aside from social anxiety, I struggle a lot with expressing myself well. I know it’s not just the anxiety because I am comfortable with my husband and my sister but when I’m sharing stories or giving an in depth opinion about something, I always find it hard to say things in an organized way. Like I need to pause a lot in conversations so I can get the right word to say or to remember the order of the story in my head. Because I’m comfortable with them, We just laugh it off when I’m making them confused and I eventually get to convey my message.

Having said that, whenever there are times that I feel like contributing to a conversation with a colleague I’m comfortable with, I start getting anxious when I see their puzzled expression. Because of that, I limit myself to giving direct answers and that is holding me back to having a more meaningful conversation with people.

Another struggle is my normal voice is very monotone and sometimes I sound angry when I’m not. I’m very much aware of it because people who are close to me even make fun of my “bitchy sounding” voice. I find it funny personally but at the same time, my voice is making people misunderstand me sometimes. I tried using fake soft sing songy voice that normal people have and it only exhausted me. Because of that, especially at work, I struggle being assertive like giving instruction to co-workers or requesting something to them because I might sound bossy or being demanding.

I also have a resting bitch face, I have naturally droopy eyes so I look sleepy or bored all the time... and these things only makes me less friendlier to others.