What is the "silliest" setback you've had?

SadSally

I don't mean silly in a mocking way, just in a "it shouldn't be a huge deal, but it is" kind of way.

I want to go to beauty school and I was about to apply but then I read that for make up and hair demonstrations you'd have to find your own models, people you know. Well, I don't have friends, so I didn't apply.

What about you?

Sacrament

Not traveling more and explore the world and myself because I keep thinking I might get robbed or worse. The joys of a sheltered life, or childhood/teenage years.

Cogoam

Well I don't think it's a set back my whole life been that ! But at x mas works drink /dinner someone sitting next to me asked what I was going to do for Christmas are you going to be with you're family ??? Shit my whole insides churned ( never had that when I was a child just my mum and dad ) now I am married but my wife's has decided to go back to her own country so shit what have I got apart from her and her family miles away¿??????? Any way I just kept talking about going to a friends and visiting my niece hope I sounded convincing that was bloody horrible. I dread being in situations like that I always try to avoid this time I tried. I faked it to make it. Whew?????

PhantomPod

Not traveling more and explore the world and myself because I keep thinking I might get robbed or worse. The joys of a sheltered life, or childhood/teenage years.

This holds me back too. I want to plan a trip to California this year, but the biggest thing holding me back is that I'd be going by myself and I'm nervous about how I would handle going out especially at night cause I'm afraid of getting robbed. I feel like I might just explore during the day then stay in the hotel when it gets dark.

I worked at Target for a week and I ended up quitting the job because I was having major anxiety about having to use the walkie-talkies to check on things with my colleagues. It was a very silly reason to quit a job, but this was at the height of my phone anxiety. And I told my mom that I quit because they were giving me too many hours and I couldn't keep up with my school work. She still doesn't know the truth about why I quit LOL.

Megaten

Not applying to Grad school because Ive been told that I would have to commit a certain amount of hours teaching undergrad classes. Also Applying to work under the professors was nerve wracking because its essentially a job application.

There's also a lot of jobs Ive passed over because I didnt feel confident enough to promote myself in the application. So I didnt even try.

Kiwong

For the last couple of years I have lost motivation to run, because of the crap that gets thrown at me. It's as if watching someone run is a spectator sport, and the ignorant *****s in this town think they can dish bullshit out, and they become all indignant when I return serve. I might have anxiety, but I have a belligerent side that can be pretty scary when someone gets up my nose enough. In the end I start to avoid, because there's only so many attacks by off the leash dogs, near misses from cyclists, car swerving to hit me that I can tolerate.

Sacrament

Don't stop doing things you like because of what others might say. Either turn your music up, or go somewhere else for your run. Or go biking.

Kiwong

I get going earlier, before people are out of bed. I've changed my courses several times where there are less issues. Don't use an Ipod, love listening to the bush birds. I haven't stopped, but is a battle. Like this morning I did 20km, and I know the last few kilometres my body is going scream at me to stop, but you have to push through. The feeling of accomplishment at the end is always massive.

Megaten

Do you think youll ever try again SadSally? I dont know anything about beauty school but maybe someone else attending could be your guinea pig while you go.

williamreinsch

I feel for you :( I kind of had a similar situation with college, I couldn't deal with those sorts of things popping up, presentations and grouping with others I weren't comfortable around. Seemed silly back then that I left just before getting my final grades but now I look back I can kind of understand and don't really regret it. Sometimes you gotta realize that you're just not in the right mental state to deal with things like college etc. Some people though sadly don't have much choice, very sad really, i was quite lucky my parents still kept me while i sorted myself out.