what is so attractive about felons?

I don't care mrb I am 43 and fabulous and untouchable by mod things ;)

* I have started so I might as well finish*

(who said that ??)

anyway , had you heard of them before ?? I never have , I came across that quite by accident tbh !!

but

in my defense it is very relevant to the thread :rolleyes:

Truthseeker

Big muscles, tattoos and the fact that they were tough/crafty enough to survive prison is pretty bad ass.
I disagree, there is absolutely nothing admirable about being a criminal and spending time in jail. There must be something terribly wrong in western societies that makes people say or think such things.

Felgen

I've never heard of anyone being murdered in a Norwegian prison, nor are your average prison movie style rape "common". ::p:

This is a Norwegian prison:

norwegian-prison4.jpg

norwegian-prison2.preview.jpg

norwegian-prison10.jpg

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I disagree, there is absolutely nothing admirable about being a criminal and spending time in jail. There must be something terribly wrong in western societies that makes people say or think such things.
It has nothing to do with society, western or otherwise.

She didn't say she admired criminals.

The ability to survive in prison is a positive and (arguably) manly quality, even though the stereotypical morality of a convict is not. That's why there are so many movies about a moral man (typically there through no fault of his own, or there somehow for moral reasons) kicking ass in prison.

Pookah

It has nothing to do with society, western or otherwise.

She didn't say she admired criminals.

The ability to survive in prison is a positive and (arguably) manly quality, even though the stereotypical morality of a convict is not. That's why there are so many movies about a moral man (typically there through no fault of his own, or there somehow for moral reasons) kicking ass in prison.

I love Rorschach from Watchmen. "I'm not stuck in here with you, YOU ARE ALL STUCK IN HERE WITH ME!"

rorschack-prison.jpg
<3

Last edited:

Felgen

I don't think there's anything wrong with prefering strong men. Strength is a genetic trait that nature wants to pass on to future generations; therefore, both humans and animals will find it attractive. However, most people who get thrown in jail in any industrialized country will come out again alive, with the exeption being any country that frequently executes people.

Felgen

This can't be where they keep individuals who are high security risks? I'm referring to rapists, murderers and serious violent offenders.

This is a medium-security prison. Serial killers, child rapists and so on will be moved to a psychiatric department of the prison. However, psychiatric cells will also hold a high standard here. This man is a convicted murderer and child rapist, and his IQ is only 83, but he's still allowed to get an education and live in a cell with a high standard:

1220689403775_192.jpg

Having said that, he's being handled with caution and has been denied parole.

Allthough it may seem "stupid" to treat criminals that way, Norway has one of the lowest murder rates in Europe, despite having the most firearms per capita.

Felgen

Ah! That's what I figured. I wouldn't say that it's "stupid" to treat criminals this way, but I don't think that I would want to pay taxes for this man's (in particular) education, and high standard prison living if he had raped my child. I'd want him dead.

In a human way (in a stupid way) I do feel a small amount of pity since this man is dull-witted. I realize that he's being denied parole, but I think that people like him are a burden to our society and are better off being executed. Yes, I know how cruel that sounds, but I wouldn't want my tax money to pay for his food, clothing, education, medical/psychiatric treatment and housing even if it isn't my child he raped. That is, assuming that his care and housing is paid for by your countrymen and women.

With an IQ of 83 he is hardly deficient. 90 is where the average IQ begins. An IQ of 50 to 70 is considered mild retardation and his intelligence quotient is closer to average than it is to mild retardation.

Actually, an execution costs more than life imprisonment. ;) He only has access to education, the library, the gym and so on as long as he does manual labour, though.

mrb

Actually, an execution costs more than life imprisonment. is that right :confused: how can that be right ... its only a quick lot of juice isnt it , or the injection , i cant see how that would cost more than being kept in prison for years :confused: but then hey what do i know lol

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Actually, an execution costs more than life imprisonment. is that right :confused: how can that be right ... its only a quick lot of juice isnt it , or the injection , i cant see how that would cost more than being kept in prison for years :confused: but then hey what do i know lol
Execution in the U.S. costs a lot more than life in prison, too. It's because of all the legal fees, appeals process, etc put in place to ensure that innocent people don't get snuffed. In theory.

mrb

@ Felgen. I've heard that before. That execution is more expensive than life imprisonment. Though, I'm more inclined to agree with MRB on this one. I can't say for sure because I don't know much about this issue, but I will look it up to see for myself. One this I'm sure of...even if execution is more expensive, I would still rather pay money for a child rapist to die than live.

give em all to 2 gun annie .... she will burst in guns ablaze :eek: problem over ;)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Ah! So all of the above adds up to being more expensive than food, clothing, housing, medical/dental, possible psychiatric care, and education? For an entire lifetime?
Apparently so, from what I've read and heard. That seems to indicate that lawyers are overpaid and the system is broken.

Now if we let a case like that guy Felgen posted live the remainder of his life serving as a test subject for various drugs and such, that's a deterrent even to people who don't fear death! :)!

coyote

Surviving an execution attempt - now that's really bad-ass....

If you don't mind the rope burns and extra long neck.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've never thought of it that way, but you've made an excellent point. It otherwise does not seem to make any sense why execution would be more expensive than life in prison.

You mean like test lipstick and various cosmetics on him to make sure that they don't cause any allergic reactions? ::p: I'm sure that can be arranged if he's placed in the general prison population. Ooh! That was low!

Hahah. Yeah, from what I've heard that's what usually happens to child rapists in prison. Though I was thinking more like, say...experimental radiation treatments for rectal cancer, for example. Let them give back to society as much as possible!

AutonomousAutomaton

I've never been attracted to a felon. A lot of guys seem to think that women only like bad guys, but there are a lot of women who think men only like mean, vindictive women. I don't believe any of it. Plenty of nice people are in relationships. The reason we social phobes have trouble getting dates is not because we're too nice, it's because we're too shy and don't have the right social skills.

agoraphobickatie

I've never been attracted to a felon. A lot of guys seem to think that women only like bad guys, but there are a lot of women who think men only like mean, vindictive women. I don't believe any of it. Plenty of nice people are in relationships. The reason we social phobes have trouble getting dates is not because we're too nice, it's because we're too shy and don't have the right social skills.

very well said :) it's too bad a lot of people around here are a little more closed minded and like to generalize....

and about y'all talking about the execution speak and whatnot... i was watching some show on tv last night called "LOCKUP" about different prisons in the US.. it was pretty interesting! there are definitely a lot of scum in our prison systems.. obviously, i guess! haha.. i'm down for execution as well.. taking a few needles and falling asleep to die seems like the easy route to me anyway! it shouldn't be about the money, we just don't have all the room for the damn criminals! lol