What is schizophrenia?

HeadFace

I imagine a lot of people here would have a very broad knowledge on psychology, so I'm wandering if someone can define this for me?
Basically I'm getting three different sources and they all give me a different answer.
But so far I have a my perception of it is this:
A kind of autism that is mixed with a permanent case of paranoia, and gives you a developed sense of "flat affection or emotion. Followed with mass hallucinations and delusions. Basically, people who have it bad enough, couldnt tell what reality is and is not.
Is this correct? I'm just looking for a straight answer to be honest :p

kylesesh

Its a severe form of fear and paranoia of the unknown... This can be for a variety of issues, including, the end of the world, aliens, people out to harm said sufferer... They normally need medication, counselling and psychiatric help to prevent them harming themselves and others.

dannyboy65

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and here is what happens to me I hear voices and sometimes see things. I am very paranoid of people and I have terrible depression cause I'm so lonely also I have terrible anxiety and worry about everything. half of the people with schizophrenia are drug users and alcoholics that they use to cope with depression loneliness and boredom and anxiety. I have been a drug user for 2 years and recently clean, also most of all the schizophrenics are smokers I also smoke and I'm only 17. Also people with my condition are more likely to commit suicide then others and we have 5 to 10 years shorter life expectancy because of the suicide rate. I can go on and on but I already typed a lot hopefully this helps.

Nanita

I guess it would be good to read articles about it to understand it. I know that it is a disease with many aspects. My grandmother developed schizophrenia efter years of being in a violent marriage.
I myself have a mild schizoid personality disorder (mixed with other disorders...) For me, this schizoid aspect of me means that I´m very withdrawn from people and the outer world/reality. I have lost interest in many things. Participating more in an inner world of fantasy, imagination, ideas, fears. And I get slightly paranoid.
Obviously, the actual disease schizophrenia is so much more severe than a schizoid disorder.

Last edited:

Diend

Well according to my psychology 101 class schizophrenia is basically you're hearing voices in your head Feeling that people are out to get you and paranoia. My friend had it this year out of the blue and one out of every 100 people will have schizophrenia and you are genetically Geared to have this disorder