What happened to SPW?

LoyalXenite

Over time people moved on, some left due to conflicts, others got better and didnt need to come on here as much and faded away, some seemed to just vanish. In the end many people moved on and there havent been enough new people coming in to make up the difference.
RNxU.gif

FriendlyShadow

When I first joined SPW,(around 2012 I think), I remember the chat box being filled with lots of people. Sometimes people would chat with me but after a few months I'd never hear from them again. Kinda sad really. Threads that I post now don't get as many replies as they did back then. I'm assuming either people got bored or they're probably too busy nowadays.

PeterO

That's too bad. I'm guilty of it too -- I was usually here for a couple of weeks then drifted away -- but I finally quit Facebook for good and was surprised how quiet things had gotten here in the interim...

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I think the SA in itself has a part to play in this.

It is after all a public forum, so when people with SA start interacting with others - no matter how much it is - some are bound to feel uncomfortable and withdraw.
Other than that there are other reasons, some need time away, some need everything their own way, some don't like other people having the same rights of freedom of speech as they enjoy. Some just need a sanctuary for a time. And don't forget the lurkers.. not everyone likes to post every time they log on.

FriendlyShadow

I've had a few people I chatted with on here who were mostly interested in having sexual conversations. Not gonna lie, but it makes me feel super awkward

FriendlyShadow

Oh seriously??

Yeah, I didn't wanna be rude to them or anything so I played along. One of them was desperate to know my facebook account. I had a couple of guys who'd quickly turn the conversation to sex, trying to entice me. Nowadays, I try to stay away from those guys. It's pretty much a lesson to be learned.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
It's funny, these types of threads have popped up consistently for probably a half decade now - and they're not wrong, every time it has been slower than the past. It's so relative though, I was curious how active a site like SAS was, so I read one of their threads on how slow their site is, and there were comments talking about how the fact that they only get five or six messages in the first five minutes of a new thread being a clear sign of regression. We're lucky if a new thread gets that many posts period :LOL:

I think this has always been a smaller forum, and when forums in general start to lose their steam the effect on smaller forums in notably more pronounced. I notice a lack of younger people on forum sites. 10 years ago when I joined a forum was one of the best places to connect with people or find support. I imagine if I had fresh eyes, I'd look at something like Reddit or Discord, or even Facebook and Twitter, and find those communities easier to jump into and incorporate into my life. I love SPW, but for me it's probably the comfortableness and a little nostalgia that keeps me around.

LoyalXenite

I think this has always been a smaller forum, and when forums in general start to lose their steam the effect on smaller forums in notably more pronounced. I notice a lack of younger people on forum sites. 10 years ago when I joined a forum was one of the best places to connect with people or find support. I imagine if I had fresh eyes, I'd look at something like Reddit or Discord, or even Facebook and Twitter, and find those communities easier to jump into and incorporate into my life. I love SPW, but for me it's probably the comfortableness and a little nostalgia that keeps me around.

I've noticed the same, which is a shame. First the chathouses and chatrooms died, then the forums started to die off too, its getting harder and harder to meet people and make connections now. Or maybe its just coz I havent moved onto the new methods with the same vigor... I just find it less connecting and more about the follows and likes on things like Twitter, it just seems harder to even initiate contacts. let alone form bonds for us old forum dwellers.