What do you think of people

proudmummy

It makes sense.

But only if the best free treatment to get them off the benefits & out having a normal life & working (and cured, obviously). Benefits and being at home...surely it will make it worse??

I guess it depends on the person and how severe their condition is. I think that people should try working first and then figure out whether they just can't do it or not. I wouldn't consider social phobia a disability though. I don't like how it's called a disability.

GloomySunday

proudmummy said:
It makes sense.But only if the best free treatment to get them off the benefits & out having a normal life & working (and cured, obviously). Benefits and being at home...surely it will make it worse??

I agree with the sentiments here. When benefits are provided for Social Anxiety they should be given on the agreement that the recipient undergoes counselling or other care aimed at helping them. An incentive needs to be given.

Also, when people are on disability benefits the emphasis always seems to be on what a person cannot do. The emphasis should be shifted onto what they can do. A person with Social Anxiety is not totally incapacitated and there may be work that they could do (i.e. working from home) and they should be given help and advice to help them find work compatible to their condition.

BIG_FRINGE

they should only get job seekers. in my eyes, inless u cant physicaly get to work, you can work.
i dont see why, say people in wheel chairs who manange to go to work, should pay tax for people who cant work who are social phobic. they should be on job seekers until they find work of they feel a relative level of comfort. (not absalute comfort). i dont think people with SA should have to work in jobs when they are litterally having a panic attack, coz that would be against their human rights.
but to not work, purely because you are afraid of people is not fair on the tax payer.
we all hate work. we still have to go.

MrDooBee

I think they are in a really bad place right now and that there is no reason for them to be homeless or starving. When you cant help yourself employers dont come knocking on your door and offer you a job, basically no one gives a crap. It happened to me and i would of killed to have a job, not even the govenment assistance people helped me get work.

jschuley

Over the summer my uncle asked me why I didn't try to get on disability, I had not discussed my SA with him or anyone so it upset me that he even noticed it, he said, "if you have problems with people, you could sign up."

It offended me a lot. I am prfctly capabl of working and hav had many jobs, and I don't nd a govrnmnt hand out. Not that I would look down on that if somon had a srious disability, as both my mothr and fathr draw social scurity disability, mom for schizoaffctiv disordr and dad for kidny failur.

My 'e' key stoppd working, but you undrstand

Richey

I used to be against the idea but now my view is completely changed, i say go for it, benefits are there for a reason to get you through a rough patch .. im currently on benefits while studying full time but when i did work i had to pay tax and a big chunk of it as well, so i feel no guilt at all ..

and i'm going through a stage of angst against wage slavery and how im in the city alot watching these business people on their phones all day running around like desperate madmen its sad to watch, for what? how does this benefit them when they are being told what to do everyday and how to live for usually a basic salary five days a week for these big companies, it completely takes away your time to live and then you get home late and want to relax then you wake up again and repeat the process all bloody year, its insane especially when its for the profit of a company more so then productivity for yourself ...

i'm sorry but i just cant get to grips with people involving themselves in these meaningless jobs and i feel people only do it because they are conditioned to believe this is how you must live, get the car, the big house, pretty garden, live for consumerism, by these clothes, pay this much for petrol, registration, insurance ...

i'd rather be in poverty and spending my days drawing, making music and fending for myself but at least i know im being sincere to how im spending my days living ...

i seriously have a major problem with being an employee and being told how to act even for money, its never sat well with me and i usually have poor relationships with staff and management because it eats me up when the alternative is no money at all..

money is the root of all evil is about right

i say stay on benefits for as long as possible until you are ready to work if you even want to

sleepysparrow

Richey said:
I used to be against the idea but now my view is completely changed, i say go for it, benefits are there for a reason to get you through a rough patch .. im currently on benefits while studying full time but when i did work i had to pay tax and a big chunk of it as well, so i feel no guilt at all ..

and i'm going through a stage of angst against wage slavery and how im in the city alot watching these business people on their phones all day running around like desperate madmen its sad to watch, for what? how does this benefit them when they are being told what to do everyday and how to live for usually a basic salary five days a week for these big companies, it completely takes away your time to live and then you get home late and want to relax then you wake up again and repeat the process all bloody year, its insane especially when its for the profit of a company more so then productivity for yourself ...

i'm sorry but i just cant get to grips with people involving themselves in these meaningless jobs and i feel people only do it because they are conditioned to believe this is how you must live, get the car, the big house, pretty garden, live for consumerism, by these clothes, pay this much for petrol, registration, insurance ...

i'd rather be in poverty and spending my days drawing, making music and fending for myself but at least i know im being sincere to how im spending my days living ...

i seriously have a major problem with being an employee and being told how to act even for money, its never sat well with me and i usually have poor relationships with staff and management because it eats me up when the alternative is no money at all..

money is the root of all evil is about right

i say stay on benefits for as long as possible until you are ready to work if you even want to

I like how you put this. I feel the same way.

Ursula

I agree with what Richey said and I don't think people with moderate or severe s.a. should be made to feel guilty about claiming disability benefits even if they've never paid any tax in their lives. Some people with s.a. can hold down jobs, others can't- I think the more able s.a. sufferers get irritated by the ones who can't work as they think 'I've got s.a., I find it hard going into work everyday so why should these other s.a. people get let off the hook?' It's understandable to feel like that but I still think there are people with s.a. (including me, inevitably) who just can't cope with full-time work without having a complete breakdown. Someone was saying that there are jobs going where you don't have to leave the house- I can report that I have tried incredibly hard to get one of these but to no avail. It's much easier said than done to find work when you're prone to panic attacks and find it hard going out. Why do I always end up going on about this subject on forums? I guess it's because I take it really personally when people suggest it's somehow immoral to be on disability with s.a.

rylie

thats life boys n girls eh?...mayb its how richey put it, i didnt like it, handouts "until you are ready to work, if u even want to" then putn down those "mad business men"..mmmm maybe im being an ass but its those buiness men payn for u with there taxs to do ur studys n all, i duno, its rough i know but sumtimes u dont geta choice yeah?