What do you consider bullying?

Anxy

Sometimes I wonder what bullying really is, because I don't want to overreact about people's words and actions, but maybe what they're doing actually IS bullying? Please help me to understand what bullying is, what it isn't and how do I know if I am bullied? I know this thread might be stupid (and probably is), but I just want to be sure.

Steiner

Bullying is a very broad word I find. I think if you are feeling threatened I guess then you could consider it bullying. I have a hard time understanding it too. It could mean anything from words to physical abuse. I guess? I don't like the term bullying.

If it's a kid it's bullying. If it's an adult it's verbal harassment.

If it's a kid it's bullying. If it's an adult it's physical abuse.

If it's a kid it's bullying. If it's an adult it's stealing.

Wikipedia says:

Bullying is repeated acts over time that involves a real or perceived imbalance of power with the more powerful individual or group attacking those who are less powerful.[10] Bullying may consist of three basic types of abuse – verbal, physical and emotional. It typically involves subtle methods of coercion such as intimidation. Bullying can be defined in many different ways. Although the UK currently has no legal definition of bullying,[11] some US states have laws against it. Bullying is usually done to coerce others by fear or threat.

Last edited:

goblin

I would consider any focused act of aggression that isn't part of a two-way fight (an argument, rivalry, etc) bullying. If you're too loose with the definition, then calling someone a name or getting into an argument winds up in the same category as ganging up on someone, beating them up, and stuffing them in a locker, and that's just dumb.

Toxickitty

How I define it

I consider bullying to be repeated harassment. Harassing a person just once is just being an @$$, the way I see it.

Bullying to me is if you consistently degrade or put down someone especially if you know it bothers them and they tell you to stop. Bullying is definitely broad because sometimes people claim bullying and it's just friendly teasing.

darrens

I think it all comes down to how the person on the receiving end takes it,if they feel they are being bullied or belittled then it's bullying if they don't then it's not.
I think it doesn't matter how slight it might be if it happens more than once and the person on the receiving end feels bullied then it's bullying.