What chance do I have in the real world?

live

So im a freshman in college, just finished my last day of finals, and pretty sure im going to get over a 3.5. My GPA in high school was a 3.5, with a 4.1 my senior year (3 AP classes.) I have always put all of my time and effort into school... I always thought that I was "smart," I got the grades, and my dad always called me the "smart kid." But the thing is, school has always stressed me out. When I go to write an essay, it will take me FOREVER, I will sit there and think about what to write and just stare at a blank screen for hours. I do well on tests because I put hours and hours of time memorizing and studying for each one.

From all other aspects, it looks like I have college under control. But the thing is... I can't express myself. I can't hardly display any critical thinking skills, I can memorize two facts, but fail to see how they connect. I -think- I used to have better critical thinking skills, so I'm not really sure if they've actually decreased due to my depressive state of mind recently or if they've always been low.. what im trying to say is the reason i do good in school is because school is literally all I do. I dont have any hobbies, videogames only frustrate me anymore, i'm in clubs at school but im disconnected with everyone, socially akward, of course. I dont have many interests, and therefore I think people see me as uninteresting...

I have mood swings... like really bad.... not the severity of them, but the instantaneous flopping from depression to euphoria...

idk what im doing here, on these forums...

like others, I kinda just wanted to say this.... you'll probably get more in the future...

If you can relate to anything i've talked about, please say something, idk what to do...

Silatuyok

I understand. I always used school as a way to gauge my own intelligence. And I'm an excellent test-taker, but always felt like I was way behind everyone else in comprehension, even though I was doing well grade-wise...after college, I didn't seem any smarter than anyone else out there in the real world, and most of them seemed better able to use what intelligence they had to get important jobs and things like that...it's only since I started writing profusely as a hobby that I've started to feel like I know where I stand in this world.

You can always take time off school to explore other options, or try to find out what you are really passionate about and interested in. I think one of the huge flaws in the way life is set up is that people graduate from highschool and are immediately pressured into attending and finishing college, when in fact they are much too young and inexperienced to know what they want to get out of it. Try it. Take a semester off, or more if you like. See what happens.

lonely_drummer

You can always take time off school to explore other options, or try to find out what you are really passionate about and interested in. I think one of the huge flaws in the way life is set up is that people graduate from highschool and are immediately pressured into attending and finishing college, when in fact they are much too young and inexperienced to know what they want to get out of it. Try it. Take a semester off, or more if you like. See what happens.

I agree with Marie, time off could be beneficial. That's exactly what im doing now and I have rediscovered myself. I traveled and now I'm back and trying to pursue a life as a musician and still try to continue my education on my own. I realized school was too stressful and I was forced to learn alot I didn't really have any interest in. I was going to go back and get my masters next year but it doesn't seem to be the case, I am happier this way.

Silatuyok

I agree with Marie, time off could be beneficial. That's exactly what im doing now and I have rediscovered myself. I traveled and now I'm back and trying to pursue a life as a musician and still try to continue my education on my own. I realized school was too stressful and I was forced to learn alot I didn't really have any interest in. I was going to go back and get my masters next year but it doesn't seem to be the case, I am happier this way.

I'm glad to hear it!

live

When I had last summer off, I was feeling better, but really it was only because I didn't have very much social contact with anyone... and I know I need to start being more socials, but it drives me crazy...

I really don't think taking the next semester off is a very good idea right now, but I have until January to decide, so I will put some thought into it... unlikely though... I

Say I didn't go to school in the spring? Waht should I do? get a job? Lay around? Be more social?

Silatuyok

Say I didn't go to school in the spring? Waht should I do? get a job? Lay around? Be more social?

I don't think lying around is going to help you figure out what you want from life. I would suggest getting a job, or volunteering with some place that sounds interesting to you. Or try taking just fun and interesting classes for the semester, like art electives or guitar lessons or something. Or you could travel, if you have the means. There is a whole world of possibilities out there, all you have to do is find something that looks interesting and go do it.

LazyHermitCrab

Good job. I have a 2.9 and really want it to be over 3. Keep it up :) maybe you should join a sport or learn an instrument for fun?

MercySparx

I understand the moodswings sometimes I just go bat****. I have a harder time relating to problems with critical thinking, BUT I do feel frustrated because I have a raw talent for art, and I love it. I pick up on the technical parts really quick buuut I never know what to draw, I can recreate, but I can't come up with any good original ideas. I'm like that with everything. I LOVE Sci-fi and tv, I can remember every detail about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I couldnt write a story if my life depended on it. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. A solution to your problem though, university offers anaylitic studies, they teach you how to think critically. I don't know how it works in your program or country, but in Canada these classes are a requirement for a Bachelor of Arts.

live

I don't think lying around is going to help you figure out what you want from life. I would suggest getting a job, or volunteering with some place that sounds interesting to you. Or try taking just fun and interesting classes for the semester, like art electives or guitar lessons or something. Or you could travel, if you have the means. There is a whole world of possibilities out there, all you have to do is find something that looks interesting and go do it.

wow, now that's a nice thought.... taking fun classes would give me some time to relax, but still be connected the the school environment. In fact, I could take all electives but stick to one hard class, like chem... it would still keep me connected to school... now this is something to think about!!! Thank you so much Marie!!

Silatuyok

wow, now that's a nice thought.... taking fun classes would give me some time to relax, but still be connected the the school environment. In fact, I could take all electives but stick to one hard class, like chem... it would still keep me connected to school... now this is something to think about!!! Thank you so much Marie!!

:D Yay!! Glad I could help. I think your plan sounds like a good one.