What are your thoughts about anime dubs?

Forgotten-Children

In my opinion, it's VERY hard to find a good one.

*Edit* This is something I said in the "How are you Feeling" thread.

Not really sure what to feel at the moment. I mean... My boyfriend got pissed off at me because I said I didn't like the voice actors for the new Bayblade Metal Fusion. They just sounded like adults trying to play overly hyper children. Not to mention, one of the characters sounded like his voice actor had just got his script and was just reading them aloud so that he could memorise what he was saying and the dubbing compainy just said "HEY, DIS GAI'S A NATURAL!!1! HE DIDN' EVEN PRACTICE AND HES GUD!1 8B".....

I didn't mention the dubbing company part because I knew James would be even more angry with me than he already is. I wanted to say that this was my opinion, but by then, he just told me to shut up. :/

He gets a lot of passion from hearing the voices from these so-called "children's anime" (I still think they should be for everyone. And yes I DO take them seriously, that's why I hate 95% of dubs for anime. It's very rare for there to be a good one say like Full Metal Alchemist was great!)

I mean, with these anime's supposedly aimed at children, they act as if they don't even try. Is it REALLY so hard to ask your children to do the voices of the characters and not have to do it yourself so you sound completely FAKE?!

Ugh...

I don't even really bother talking about the dub of Pokemon anymore to him because I know he just loves 4Kids because he thinks they do a good job making the anime they bring over into great shows that teaches kids great things and also, the edits they made were needed!

However I think that's total bullcrap. They change so many unneeded things, like say... by going by 4Kids logic Riceballs are called donuts in America!! x-x No... And even in the later series, they EDIT the riceballs to either look like sandwiches or crackers!! Racist much?

(Video to prove it.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XRp-R9s7A&feature=related

Oh. In speaking of racist... Take a look at this edit from One Piece and Dragon Ball Z Kai (and mind you, I don't watch One Piece at all, and I stopped watching DBZ right when GT came out, but that doesn't change how much I'm appauled by the fact that they did this, those racist bastards...)

jjvkba.jpg
From One Piece. The top is the Japanese version and the bottom, the 4Kids version. Yeah... They changed the guy from African American to Caucasian!

i3cg02.jpg
Mr. Popo from DBZ. Yeah... He's blue now. HOW long has he been black?! Do you think that nobody would notice?! God 4Kids is stupid (And yes, 4Kids does the dub for DBZ Kai. I know in the past, DBZ was always dubbed by Funimation which I really hope they'll eventually come and fix what 4Kids ruined)... And he isn't even African American, he's an alien. If anybody takes the fact that he's a black alien as racist, then you're just stupid... He's from no race of this planet! x-x Nor does his race even exist.

Anyway... I guess my real emotion is being annoyed. I try to avoid having these debates about dubs being good or not with my boyfriend because he says he respects everything for all the "effort" put into everything. He just says I don't like these dubs because I'm picky but well... you guys be the judge. I just say it's my opinion. :/

These people describe what I think about the good and bad of anime dubs very well.

---The Worst---
YouTube - Top Ten WORST English Dubs of Anime: part 01
YouTube - Top Ten WORST English Dubs of Anime: part 02
YouTube - Top Ten WORST English Dubs of Anime: part 03
YouTube - Top Ten WORST English Dubs of Anime: part 04
YouTube - Top Ten WORST English Dubs of Anime: part 05 (And I agree. This dub pisses me off to no end. Actually it was so bad, I just stopped watching the English version of Pokemon completely. The only time I'd ever watch the English version was to humor my boyfriend or to just watch and laugh at the horrible voice acting. As much as I hate the 4Kids version of Pokemon, this... was the worst. Like they said, I'm NEVER gonna get used to the new Ash.)

Oh. Also. The new Ash's laugh will give me nightmares for years... "NAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"
YouTube - The Most Surreal Thing You Will Ever See 4

---The Best---
YouTube - A-List Top Ten BEST Anime English Dubs - part 01 (The only dub from Ghibli that I didn't exactly like was for Ponyo. The voice acting was OK, but what I really didn't like was the fact that they "popped-out" Ponyo's theme.)
YouTube - A-List Top Ten BEST Anime English Dubs- part 02
YouTube - A-List Top Ten BEST Anime English Dubs- part 03
YouTube - A-List Top Ten BEST Anime English Dubs- part 04
YouTube - A-List Top Ten BEST Anime English Dubs- part 05

To explain the Ponyo theme here are the two in comparison. You be the judge of what you like more, but I personally like the the Japanese version more because it didn't suffer from "pop-syndrome" which alot of anime brought over from Japan, unfortunatly, suffers.

Japanese version: YouTube - original japanese ponyo theme
English version: YouTube - Noah Cyrus & Frankie Jonas// Ponyo Song

What do you guys think of the whole thing? (you can post what you think are the worst/best dubs)

Last edited:

Luke1993

I would like to get into watching animes/reading manga because I think it's something I'd enjoy.From what little I know, some fans make their own dubs for animes which are japan only.

Oh. Also. The new Ash's laugh will give me nightmares for years... "NAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"
YouTube - The Most Surreal Thing You Will Ever See 4

ha it's been a very long time since I have watched pokemon, I actually thought that it was the same original voice actor, but that laugh gave him (or her?) away! lol

Forgotten-Children

I would like to get into watching animes/reading manga because I think it's something I'd enjoy.From what little I know, some fans make their own dubs for animes which are japan only.

ha it's been a very long time since I have watched pokemon, I actually thought that it was the same original voice actor, but that laugh gave him (or her?) away! lol

Well there's all sorts of anime and manga for everyone. :3

It's another woman doing Ash's voice but she doesn't do NEAR as a decent job as Veronica Taylor... -_-;

Some dubs are really annoying XD, it depends on the voices.. :p
But sometimes i like dubs, but sometimes i prefer subtitles :p
i love anime and manga :)

Forgotten-Children

Guys, I found the really bad dub from the new Beyblade anime. x-x Just watch some of it. I think it's worse than the dub for Pokemon.

YouTube - Beyblade Metal Fusion Episode 34 Shine, Virgo! English Dubbed Part 1/2 HQ

Either WAY over-acted, or they acted like they just got their script and started to say there lines with weird pauses in between the sentences...

I don't remember the original Beyblade being this bad. :/

*searches for an episode*

YouTube - Beyblade Episode 01 Part 1 Dubbed

I mean yeah... The intro song is a hell of a lot better and catchier.

I mean, the voice acting isn't great, but atleast it seems more believable than the crap we have now (the grampa's voice actor was kinda... blech... but whatever). I mean, Tyson actually sounds like a normal kid rather than an adult trying to be a kid. x-x

Last edited:
I don't really like dubs. Only if they're like REALLY well done, by fans of said anime/program and by people that know what they're doing. I've seen many things get destroyed by bad dubbing, quite horrendous.

In most cases I prefer subtitles.

tiscircle

Well I know that 4kids tries to modify of all its shows to suit its western audiences for all ages. I just find it relaxing and funny with its clever use of puns lol. I don't dismiss the original japanese versions though, it has a great storyline, and every battle between the good and bad guys is always epic ;D

Snowdrop

Wow I never knew about the changing One Piece skin colour thing... 0_o
In any case, I honestly can't stand dub, unless it is really good.
So far, the only animes I could ever stand in dub were: Full Metal Alchemist and Ouran High School Host Club. Just because Vic Mignogna who voice acts Ed and Tamaki is just awesome. I hear he does a pretty wicked Dark Mousy too xD
I guess I watched Pokemon, Cardcaptors and Dragon Ball Z in dub when I was little but that was when I was little and I was a kid so kiddy-adult voices didn't make me shudder as it does now.
Anyways. Subs for the win!!! :D

Last edited:

Luke1993

Guys, I found the really bad dub from the new Beyblade anime. x-x Just watch some of it. I think it's worse than the dub for Pokemon.

YouTube - Beyblade Metal Fusion Episode 34 Shine, Virgo! English Dubbed Part 1/2 HQ

Either WAY over-acted, or they acted like they just got their script and started to say there lines with weird pauses in between the sentences...

I didn't know Beyblades had an anime based on it, I thought they were just the spinning tops. I remember them being pretty cool you could customise them and stuff by putting different parts together. But that anime takes it to a whole new level with demons coming out of them! :D

But yeah that voice acting was hilariously bad! Particularly that main character lol

mismeek

SUBS RULE!!!!!! Full metal panic is my favorite anime!!

wanna hear some really bad dubs? watch dubbed hentai...wtf they dont even try to act in those...it cracks me up.

Forgotten-Children

SUBS RULE!!!!!! Full metal panic is my favorite anime!!

wanna hear some really bad dubs? watch dubbed hentai...wtf they dont even try to act in those...it cracks me up.

Judging from anything PRON related, I haven't seen anything well acted so I think that's understandable, but yeah you're right. xD