wanted: social phobic sales assistant

Claudia21

Ok. so I just came back from a job interview, and I just need to let of some steam. I was so damn nervous, sheesh. Now Im left wondering did I smile too much? could they tell I am socially anxious?:eek:h: (I think I articulated myself well, most of the time at least), I was sweating so much I wonder if they could they smell my armpits from afar?. But what the hell why would I want to smother smelly hand cream to rich snobs anyway? F#ck dis..

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hahaha god... I used to feel so aweful after interviews. Now I just let it go. You did what you could, you'll never see them again if they don't hire you, this episode is over. Just let it go and keep your mind busy with something more useful.

sahxox

Aww hate those feelings.
For some reason, when I first meet someone, I have this urge to be really charming and friendly. Then I become scared of them, sometimes permanantly. It is so weird. When I first met my boss, we got on really well in the interview. Now I get anxious everytime I have to talk to her... o_O 6 months later. Weird, all in my socially-phobic head.

lonerism

Aww hate those feelings.
For some reason, when I first meet someone, I have this urge to be really charming and friendly. Then I become scared of them, sometimes permanantly. It is so weird. When I first met my boss, we got on really well in the interview. Now I get anxious everytime I have to talk to her... o_O 6 months later. Weird, all in my socially-phobic head.

Yes, I think I understand what you're saying. I can definitely relate to this. Earlier in my life (before I deteriorated further) I could sometimes manage to "put up a good front" when first meeting someone. This wasn't always intentional, and it definitely was not scripted - it was just a surge of "energy" I would get as I did my best to compensate for my social anxiety. This mostly only worked in settings that weren't too informally social though - like a job interview, or the first day(s) on the job. I could "perform" in those types of interactive settings - at least at first.

With "normal" people - familiarity (repeated exposures to a person, or a group of people) increases their comfort-level - but with me, it often does the opposite. I have found that the more that I'm around a person, the more internal pressure I feel to be social - which has a paralyzing effect. As time with a person (or a group of people) goes on - I feel more and more exposed as an abnormally quiet, anxious, withdrawn, socially-maladroit person - which exponentially increases my feelings of shame and unease around people. It's bad enough that I am this way - and it's even worse when people are able to "see" it. The high level of shame and self-consciousness I have simply cripple my already-weak relations with people - for I'm always worrying about what they think of my quietness and awkwardness.

And often, getting off to a good start - or leaving a strong first impression with a person - can make things worse. When this has happened, I've felt enormous pressure to keep things going - but the "real me" puts in a stubborn bid to make an appearance. I don't know what it is about first meetings that can temporarily obscure some of the worst symptoms of my anxiety.

For example - I remember when I was in the eighth grade - and I went in for an interview for this private school that I was applying to. From my interview, I bet that they had scarce idea that they would be admitting a student with such severe, crippling social anxiety. During the interview, I didn't feel overcome with social anxiety - they may have thought that I was a pretty poised, "mature" person. Well it would all start to go downhill about 8 months later - when I was an actual student at this school. Somehow, the day-to-day social strains that I encountered at this school weren't nearly as easily-handled as the interview! The feelings of extreme self-consciousness and shame that I discussed above set in. The more the school-year progressed, the worse it got.

jaim38

^You have perfectly described my problem, especially this passage:

With "normal" people - familiarity (repeated exposures to a person, or a group of people) increases their comfort-level - but with me, it often does the opposite. I have found that the more that I'm around a person, the more internal pressure I feel to be social - which has a paralyzing effect. As time with a person (or a group of people) goes on - I feel more and more exposed as an abnormally quiet, anxious, withdrawn, socially-maladroit person - which exponentially increases my feelings of shame and unease around people.

It's like I could never break the ice with other people. When I first meet someone, I could pretend to be confident and social, therefore breaking some ice, but afterwards the ice reforms and I'm back to square one. I also learnt not to be too social to avoid getting people's hopes up. I don't want them to think I'm a social creature and expect the same thing when I meet them again.

This is one of the reasons why I don't have many friends. I go through many acquaintances in life, whom I spoke to once or twice, but most of them never became my friends.

I'm not sure how this problem could be overcome. Does anybody have any suggestions?

sahxox

Yes, I think I understand what you're saying. I can definitely relate to this. Earlier in my life (before I deteriorated further) I could sometimes manage to "put up a good front" when first meeting someone. This wasn't always intentional, and it definitely was not scripted - it was just a surge of "energy" I would get as I did my best to compensate for my social anxiety. This mostly only worked in settings that weren't too informally social though - like a job interview, or the first day(s) on the job. I could "perform" in those types of interactive settings - at least at first.

With "normal" people - familiarity (repeated exposures to a person, or a group of people) increases their comfort-level - but with me, it often does the opposite. I have found that the more that I'm around a person, the more internal pressure I feel to be social - which has a paralyzing effect. As time with a person (or a group of people) goes on - I feel more and more exposed as an abnormally quiet, anxious, withdrawn, socially-maladroit person - which exponentially increases my feelings of shame and unease around people. It's bad enough that I am this way - and it's even worse when people are able to "see" it. The high level of shame and self-consciousness I have simply cripple my already-weak relations with people - for I'm always worrying about what they think of my quietness and awkwardness.

And often, getting off to a good start - or leaving a strong first impression with a person - can make things worse. When this has happened, I've felt enormous pressure to keep things going - but the "real me" puts in a stubborn bid to make an appearance. I don't know what it is about first meetings that can temporarily obscure some of the worst symptoms of my anxiety.

For example - I remember when I was in the eighth grade - and I went in for an interview for this private school that I was applying to. From my interview, I bet that they had scarce idea that they would be admitting a student with such severe, crippling social anxiety. During the interview, I didn't feel overcome with social anxiety - they may have thought that I was a pretty poised, "mature" person. Well it would all start to go downhill about 8 months later - when I was an actual student at this school. Somehow, the day-to-day social strains that I encountered at this school weren't nearly as easily-handled as the interview! The feelings of extreme self-consciousness and shame that I discussed above set in. The more the school-year progressed, the worse it got.

Exactly. This is exactly it.