Want tattoos but mom doesn't like them...

Insanewoman389

I really want some tattoos, quite a lot actually but my mom doesn't like it she says as long as you can't see them its fine :kickingmyself: I just.... I know she doesn't mind a few of them like two or three and I can kinda see where she's coming from that so many is just.... it can come off bad but I've really thought about them and I really want them and it really hurts my feelings that she seems so mad and disapproving of them :sad: Since I still live with her and they still provide for me I'm not gonna make a big fuss about it and she is willing to let me get SOME it's just hurtful that she disapproves and I don't like being at odds with her. Has anyone else felt this way? Any advice on what I should do? I just..... like I said it's really hurtful and its starting to really get to me and I guess I just want some one to talk to about this :crying::crying:

Steiner

I don't have any tattoos so I have no clues. I guess really you should try and keep the number you get down and choose wisely what goes on your body. It should have some deep significance or just be completely badass.

I guess just don't get so many tattoos to where people can officially ask you, "would you like some skin with that tattoo?"

images

postin because i can.

Last edited:

Insanewoman389

I don't have any tattoos so I have no clues. I guess really you should try and keep the number you get down and choose wisely what goes on your body. It should have some deep significance or just be completely badass.

I guess just don't get so many tattoos to where people can officially ask you, "would you like some skin with that tattoo?"

images

postin because i can.

Yea I don't PLAN on getting a butt load and I myself am not a big fan of sleeve tattoos(whole arm) so yea I'm gonna try and not get too many but you know what they say you can never just get one lol

Pretty much all the ones I want are significant in one way or another, the main one I really want (and the one she really doesn't mind) is one in honor of my dog that passed away in February, I'm gonna get her name (Sunshine) under my breast and then a flower under that with the words "I love you pretty baby" around it so yea..... lol But I get what you're saying and I'm definitely not gonna have more tattoo's than skin XD

Steiner

Yea I don't PLAN on getting a butt load and I myself am not a big fan of sleeve tattoos(whole arm) so yea I'm gonna try and not get too many but you know what they say you can never just get one lol

Pretty much all the ones I want are significant in one way or another, the main one I really want (and the one she really doesn't mind) is one in honor of my dog that passed away in February, I'm gonna get her name (Sunshine) under my breast and then a flower under that with the words "I love you pretty baby" around it so yea..... lol But I get what you're saying and I'm definitely not gonna have more tattoo's than skin XD

then good. it shouldn't be a problem then. Just don't get tattoos like my sister did where she and her exboyfriend got "to infinity, and beyond!" on their wrists where one got "to infinity" and the other had "and beyond" so now its just stupid because you have "and beyond" on your wrist without the "to infinity".

Flanscho

Don't get one.
- health risks (for example the ink often contains unhealthy stuff)
- a lot of people want their tattoo removed later (and you can't remove it just like that, it's a permanent thing)
- tattoos are either very expensive or crappy looking, simply because good tattooists can demand a lot of money for their skills, whereas the crappy ones don't have that option
- there are many ways to decorate your body, it doesn't have to be permanent
- you are young, you will change, your tastes will change, your tattoo will not change, it will not fit to you anymore after a while, and then you are stuck with it. it will tell people not who you are but who you were
- problems when applying for jobs can arise
- your mother seems to be against it. your mother lives longer on this planet than you and knows more than you. listen to her

Odo

Banned
If your parents are actually willing to pay for your tattoos and you're just upset about them not letting you get one in a visible place, then all I can say is 'oh how times have changed'.

If it means that much to you, get a job, make some money, and then get them done on your own time... I can't say you won't regret it when you're older, though.

Phoenixx

My mom is really against tattoos also. I love seeing tattoos, but I'm not sure if I could ever get one only because I get bored easily. I'm just afraid that eventually I'd just get bored seeing the same kind of ink on my body for the rest of my life. I've actually always been more drawn to piercings, something she's also against, except for the ears. I've always wanted to get an eyebrow piercing, but that one isn't going to happen until I move out. That way I don't have to listen to her complaining about it all the time. ;)

Anyway, to answer your question, I think you should just compromise with her since she's at least letting you get some. Have you talked to her about what you want and where you're putting it? The one under your breast sounds good and I don't see how your mother would disapprove of that, since it'll be covered.

Insanewoman389

then good. it shouldn't be a problem then. Just don't get tattoos like my sister did where she and her exboyfriend got "to infinity, and beyond!" on their wrists where one got "to infinity" and the other had "and beyond" so now its just stupid because you have "and beyond" on your wrist without the "to infinity".

:D lol I actually like the idea of that "to infinity" "And beyond" tattoo but I can see how it looks ridiculous although with tattoos like that where it's just a few words that don't quite make sense cause then you can tell a story about it. But thanks for being so nice and taking the time to help me out :)

Insanewoman389

Don't get one.
- health risks (for example the ink often contains unhealthy stuff)
- a lot of people want their tattoo removed later (and you can't remove it just like that, it's a permanent thing)
- tattoos are either very expensive or crappy looking, simply because good tattooists can demand a lot of money for their skills, whereas the crappy ones don't have that option
- there are many ways to decorate your body, it doesn't have to be permanent
- you are young, you will change, your tastes will change, your tattoo will not change, it will not fit to you anymore after a while, and then you are stuck with it. it will tell people not who you are but who you were
- problems when applying for jobs can arise
- your mother seems to be against it. your mother lives longer on this planet than you and knows more than you. listen to her

Yea I've thought about all that and while I do agree that I will change and my taste will change I've really given some thought to the tattoo's I want and they all have great meaning to me and I feel that I won't come to regret them. As for the health reasons I am looking into the best tattoo shops I can I'm not just willy nilly going into this I promise, that and millions of people all over the world get tattoos everyday and most of them turn out just fine. I am being responsible and thoughtful about all of this, from the type of tattoo I want, to where I want it, to what tattoo parlor to get it from so while I appreciate the advice I am still going to get them.

Insanewoman389

If your parents are actually willing to pay for your tattoos and you're just upset about them not letting you get one in a visible place, then all I can say is 'oh how times have changed'.

If it means that much to you, get a job, make some money, and then get them done on your own time... I can't say you won't regret it when you're older, though.

Oh no!! I mean I get that but it's not about them not letting it's more about the being at odds with my mom cause I'm so close to her it just really upsets me whenever she disapproves of something I do or want.

Yea I am trying to get my life in order and do things for myself so hopefully soon I will be able to pay for my own stuff ;D And yea I know and while I admit I can be fickle and do change my mind a lot most of the one's I want really mean something to me and I've wanted tattoos since I was like 13 lol But I am keeping that in mind and not rushing into getting any, thanks for the reply :]

Insanewoman389

My mom is really against tattoos also. I love seeing tattoos, but I'm not sure if I could ever get one only because I get bored easily. I'm just afraid that eventually I'd just get bored seeing the same kind of ink on my body for the rest of my life. I've actually always been more drawn to piercings, something she's also against, except for the ears. I've always wanted to get an eyebrow piercing, but that one isn't going to happen until I move out. That way I don't have to listen to her complaining about it all the time. ;)

Anyway, to answer your question, I think you should just compromise with her since she's at least letting you get some. Have you talked to her about what you want and where you're putting it? The one under your breast sounds good and I don't see how your mother would disapprove of that, since it'll be covered.

Sucks don't it? And I understand that but I think your tattoo could remind you of happy times or if it's quote like I wanna get it remind you to keep going and to BE happy lol I'm not trying to make you get a tattoo I'm just giving my opinion on that getting bored with them thing. lol Yea I really like piercings too! I've got my lip pierced and now I want another one next to it XD Wow! An eyebrow piercing? I'm much too scared to get one there but they do look pretty cool. Hope you get to enjoy one soon :D

Yea I will and I told her if she really doesn't want me to get them then I'll just wait till I get my own money. And yea I have that's how I learned of her disapproval, cause she originally thought I just wanted like two or three and told her I wanted like ten lol But they're all small and spread out and I'm not sure if I'm even going to get all of them so yea.... The only one I'm really adamant on is the one for my dog cause she meant so much to me. But she doesn't mind that one so that's good haha Thanks for the response I really enjoyed reading what you had to say.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I think parents disapprove visible tattoos because they think it will stigmatize you as being an outcast, and that you'll have more trouble getting a job, and that it will make your life more complicated in general. Which is not ENTIRELY false. Especially if you already have trouble finding and/or keeping a job.

If it bugs your mother that much and you don't want to be at odds with her, why not just be happy with the little hidden tattoos for now, and you can get the bigger ones once you'll be more "settled" into the system so that you're mother won't have to worry so much about tattoos jeopardizing your future, or something.

Odo

Banned
I agree with Pacific Loner.

Your mom is being protective--which is what mothers are supposed to do. You should be happy that you have a mother that cares about you!

Insanewoman389

I think parents disapprove visible tattoos because they think it will stigmatize you as being an outcast, and that you'll have more trouble getting a job, and that it will make your life more complicated in general. Which is not ENTIRELY false. Especially if you already have trouble finding and/or keeping a job.

If it bugs your mother that much and you don't want to be at odds with her, why not just be happy with the little hidden tattoos for now, and you can get the bigger ones once you'll be more "settled" into the system so that you're mother won't have to worry so much about tattoos jeopardizing your future, or something.

I agree and she did say "People will judge you" and "It can make getting a job tough" so yea I'm sure that's what she was getting at it just hurt my feeling and being such a "momma's girl" I didn't like being at odds with her especially over something so important to me. Honestly I have no tattoos right now I was just telling her which one's I'd like because we were discussing the main one I want right now which is the one in honor of my dog and that's when she started saying all that so yea.... lol But for right now I am just gonna focus on a few and make sure they're really what I want, and more an likely by the time I get most of them I'll be out on my own so it shouldn't be such a big thing. On a good note she did come to me later today and say she still loves me and would no matter how many tattoos I have so that really helped me feel better about it.

I've thought about getting branded instead of ink. I just don't know if a brand will last a lifetime like ink. Decisions.

Insanewoman389

I've thought about getting branded instead of ink. I just don't know if a brand will last a lifetime like ink. Decisions.

Really?! That's..... interesting lol Not trying to be mean or condescending it just sounds really really painful!! You're a lot braver than I am that's for sure

Really?! That's..... interesting lol Not trying to be mean or condescending it just sounds really really painful!! You're a lot braver than I am that's for sure

I'm still researching the idea. Yeah it is more painful I've heard. Gotta be just a little different.

I agree and she did say "People will judge you" and "It can make getting a job tough" so yea I'm sure that's what she was getting at it just hurt my feeling and being such a "momma's girl" I didn't like being at odds with her especially over something so important to me. Honestly I have no tattoos right now I was just telling her which one's I'd like because we were discussing the main one I want right now which is the one in honor of my dog and that's when she started saying all that so yea.... lol But for right now I am just gonna focus on a few and make sure they're really what I want, and more an likely by the time I get most of them I'll be out on my own so it shouldn't be such a big thing. On a good note she did come to me later today and say she still loves me and would no matter how many tattoos I have so that really helped me feel better about it.

People judge anyway. All the time.

I thought about getting a tattoo when I was 19 or 20 so I got a henna tattoo on my back to test the water see how I liked it. BIG MISTAKE. My body did not react well to the ink. I had never had an allergic reaction to anything before that, not even hayfever! I had a massive allergic reaction. I had to be hospitalised. The henna tattoo (supposed to last a few weeks) was scalded into my back for almost a year. Because that happened, I can no longer do things I used to do like dye my hair or read a newspaper because of developing extreme sensitivity to a chemical in all permanent and most semi permanent dyes, any kind of exposure to even a tiny amount would be very serious for me, I can never dye my hair again. I have to wash all new clothes a few times before wearing them, I read the paper online because I can't get newsprint on my skin. Over exposure to PPD made me allergic for life.

There are an array of potential allergens in tattoo ink, I understand you can get some hypoallergenic tattoo ink but even so I would always always insist on doing a small patch test first before getting any tattoo. Most tattoo ink manufacturers aren't the most forthcoming about ingredients, research is required, be careful of PPD and Nickel and be aware if you have a latex allergy because they stretch your skin during tattooing and it could inflame the already inflamed skin if your sensitive to latex. Be careful of yourself.

Other advice I give you: tattoos are highly addictive, everybody thinks they'll be able to stop after one...I am yet to see a friend of mine stop after getting one (they all say they only want one to begin with)

don't get a kitten...over the years those kittens stretch into tigers...I've seen that happen lol

Last edited: