Violence/aggression.......thoughts?

coyote

IMO - the violent games, movies, etc. don't give someone more violent impulses - but they can desensitize someone to violence - they may begin to view the violent acts they witness as routine or ordinary. As a result, the person may act upon the violent impulses they have, rather than suppressing them, because they feel like it's something acceptable.

DarkSeeker

It's funny someone brought this up, because obsessing over violent video games is the only thing that ever kept me from doing it for real, and becoming one of those kids everyone keep talking about in the news.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't think a game causes them. You were already troubled and those thoughts are not something to worry about, many people have them, the game might even work as your stress reliever.

dooby-duck

In the 80's there was a big fuss about video nasties, all this talk about video games and violence is just the modern version of that. The truth is the people who are the most vocal on this subject often don't have a clue about video games. They complain about kids playing these games, but like movies games have age ratings, and so often should not even be playing them. They are made for adults and adults control who buys them, and should control what their kids play. If the entertainment industry only catered for the lowest age of viewer we'd all be watching baby programmes.

I don't think these games are nearly as realistic as some people try to make me believe, and I think that for these games to have the affect of making you more violent you have to be well down that road already.

What about books anyway, no one ever talks negatively about them. Your mind interprets the words and your imagination creates the scene, I think this gives more potential for triggering violence in people.

LockieKermit

well, before I had my fear of harming others and intrusive thoughts (normal for pure-O) I had an obsession of being gay, and before that I was always worrying about my health...
So yes ive had obsessions before these ones...Look it's not like I think about bashing people over the head everytime I walk in the room, I just read this article and was wondering what you guys thought

dooby-duck

Yeah, I know what it's like. I can read articles and then it triggers off the ocd. Sometimes it seems to be a series of stories that gradually add up to equal something. Intrusive thoughts are no fun and they do make you question things that don't even cross other peoples minds.

LockieKermit

yeah, and I think OCD anxiety tends to turn create fake emotions aswell, for example when im anxious, I sometimes get irrated easily, which doesn't help if you have a fear of harming someone or being violent etc...

well, before I had my fear of harming others and intrusive thoughts (normal for pure-O) I had an obsession of being gay, and before that I was always worrying about my health...
So yes ive had obsessions before these ones...Look it's not like I think about bashing people over the head everytime I walk in the room, I just read this article and was wondering what you guys thought

so gay, health, violence.. see how it changes.. its always going to be smthg. its ocd..just in different ways.. see now u havew to be able to recognize a true thought from the ocd one..so think, if it helps a bit.. I used to have gay issues, ythen health ones, now its violence.. u already know it s ocd, but just trying to help :)

Lea

Banned
I really don't know about this. Each of your answers seem to be interesting and have some truth in it, but where is it really? I know people, who don't play games and are violent, on the other hand some who play them are quite nice.

LockieKermit

yeh..well so far I havn't played games for almost a week, except before, where I played for like 15- 20 minutes but didn't find it that enjoyable..

EgoZero

That's bull****. I've played violent games, I've watched violent movies from childhood. Never did anything violent in my life and really don't feel the urge to do so. It's hard for me to hurt even a cockroach. :p