Violence/aggression.......thoughts?

LockieKermit

I have read a few reports about video game violence making kids more aggressive and violent, well...Im now no longer playing games as I feel this is true. I have played games most of my life....I fear I may have been "effected" by the violence part...

Im going to go off games for 2-3 weeks (omg bored as hel) and try and avoid particularly violent shows, ie crime shows to see if there are any changes, it cant hurt and who knows, maybe my aggression levels will reduce (not that im a violent person, but sometimes I do just wanna smack some people in the face, like bullies or people who bully)

I was having my anxiety just reading the article, so I can tell im not super violent and im in the process of trying to teach myself to be more diplomatic rather then "bring it on, fist fighting" but it never hurts to try...

What are your thoughts on this?

Kat

Yeah, it is possible we do subconsciously assimilate to the things we expose ourselves to. If you feel it's having a negative affect then yes it’s probably better to feed your brain with more positive stimulus.

Last edited:

Vecis

Violent video game does not make you violent, you play them because you are violent. You got some violent traits in you which are hidden and you expose them by playing violent video game. Theory that games make you violent is created by conservative lobby. If you would be a completely positive person you would not bother playing violent game.

LockieKermit

well that helps me.......not.

By that logic, that means I would have had to be born with violent traits which is impossible if you believe in Darwins theory of evolution...anyways.

By your logic, if someone was to play grandtheft auto everyday for a year, they wouldn't become atleast slightly more violent, aggressive simply because they already had those traits?

Vecis

I don't know about Darwin, but every man has its own dark side. Most people will not show their dark sides because they are educated, living in good conditions and they will not have a reason to show their dark sides. Mostly these people will show their real face in event of war, revolution or disaster. In Nazi Germany or Soviet Union many educated simple people turned monsters when war started. In modern world where everything is under control people with hidden aggression watch violent movies and play games to fulfill themselves. But not all of them will turn in school killers, the level of aggression is different in every person.

I am talking more about Freud in here. Most people are walking with masks they don't show their real faces or their real capabilities. And because moon has two sides human has its dark side also. Its a question how significant is your dark side?

If you haven't bothered about becoming violent before you read those reports than you don't need to worry. But you can stop playing its good for your eyes and time.

LockieKermit

You make a good point, the whole dark side scares me...like I said, im gonna stop playing video games, reducing the violent show intake for a few weeks and see what happens.

I have as far as I know shown no real indications that im a violent person, like I said, I have imagined me clobbering a bully to protect someone but I dont fantasize shooting people or anything...

This whole instrusive thought, anxiety thing, screw it I hate it, I just want to be normal and balanced...

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
(not that im a violent person, but sometimes I do just wanna smack some people in the face, like bullies or people who bully)
This is perfectly normal. All of us have occasional violent thoughts or impulses. If you look at history, there was a heck of a lot of violence before video games.
By that logic, that means I would have had to be born with violent traits which is impossible if you believe in Darwins theory of evolution...anyways.
I think you need to brush up on your evolutionary biology. We are born with violent traits. All of us. It's a primate thing.

People end up in prison because they have impulse control issues, not because they have impulses that others don't.

I don't know about Darwin, but every man has its own dark side.
Mark Twain said:
Everyone is a moon and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody
:D

LockieKermit

I suppose your right... Nathaniel, it helps me to know violent, aggressional thoughts are somewhat common, im just worried if it can be reversed...
For example, not watching violence, playing violence, avoiding it as much as possible will reduce my brains violent emotions? (bad english lol)

I have 3 sisters and 2 parents that are splitting up, small verbal arguments are common, do you think if I were to restrain myself in yelling at them, going all out, it will kinda re-train my brain?

Sorry if this is confusing

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
For example, not watching violence, playing violence, avoiding it as much as possible will reduce my brains violent emotions? (bad english lol)

I have 3 sisters and 2 parents that are splitting up, small verbal arguments are common, do you think if I were to restrain myself in yelling at them, going all out, it will kinda re-train my brain?

Sorry if this is confusing
This stuff is hardwired into your brain, just like mine. So you can't really re-train that. If our behavior, acting on it, becomes a problem, that part we can retrain.

I'm pretty sure everyone who has parents and/or siblings has wanted to strangle them at some point. Maybe more often, depending on their behavior.

Yelling isn't likely to help anything. That you could change.

LockieKermit

I understand instinct is wired into the brain and you cant really change it without evolving :p

But, I dont want to murder anyone, certianly dont want to go to jail, never harmed animals like all those serial killers did and im pretty social and a nice person in my opinion.

But I feel I may get angry to quickly, for example tonight at my friends party one of the girls came like 1 hour late, and I was spouting out before hand how she always does this and shes so annoying blah blah....looking back, im a prick...

Vecis

In my avatar there In and Jan symbol. Its shows balance between positive and negative, if you can't balance them you have problems. You cannot be 100% good or evil it will be harmful for you. You must trust your reason, do what you think is right, and what is reasonable.

LockieKermit

thats the thing, I have pure-o, I get anxiety, I freak out in pressured situation...my fear is what I think is right is the wrong descision...

well, im going back to my psychologist soon so hopefully we can get things sorted....

When I read your thing about balancing, I got scared...god anxiety is gay..

Vecis

I cannot balance either... Its a hard thing to do, but if you at least try its a good effort.

mrb

we all can get violent you just have to push the right buttons , now take me im not violent but i was driving down the rd the other day the this bloke was walking his dog suddenly god knows why it was only a little dog he lifted it up by its lead off the ground and started hitting it , the dog was hanging in mid air and being whacked around the head again and again and again :mad: so i shouted out you fu....ng assehole , why own a dog if your gonna treat it like that , he just carried on , i was in a que at traffic lights , so i put the hand brake on got out of the car and it nearly turned into a punch up , i hate people who hurt animals :mad: i even said if you dont want the dog give it to me ill take him , but he wouldnt give up his dog , cars were beeping there horns i was holding up all the traffic , so i had to get back in the car and drive off ...... i do wonder about that poor little dog having a horrible owner like that .... as i said why own a animal if all your going to do is be cruel to it , it really pisses me off ....

LockieKermit

mmmmmmmm.....I get intrusive thoughts aswell, you probaly do to (if you have pure-o) and they certainly do not help....whats your outlook on life?

Im 15 and have no view...I kinda just go with the flow, but it's chaotic... so not really flowing...

LockieKermit

we all can get violent you just have to push the right buttons , now take me im not violent but i was driving down the rd the other day the this bloke was walking his dog suddenly god knows why it was only a little dog he lifted it up by its lead off the ground and started hitting it , the dog was hanging in mid air and being whacked around the head again and again and again :mad: so i shouted out you fu....ng assehole , why own a dog if your gonna treat it like that , he just carried on , i was in a que at traffic lights , so i put the hand brake on got out of the car and it nearly turned into a punch up , i hate people who hurt animals :mad: i even said if you dont want the dog give it to me ill take him , but he wouldnt give up his dog , cars were beeping there horns i was holding up all the traffic , so i had to get back in the car and drive off ...... i do wonder about that poor little dog having a horrible owner like that .... as i said why own a animal if all your going to do is be cruel to it , it really pisses me off ....

Good on you for doing that....cant understand people like that...

Vecis

I have another disorder diagnosed, but I have violent intrusive thoughts for many years I have 21. My life is just beginning because I will finish university but mostly I am go with the flow as you. I have negative outlook on my life and I wish I would live differently but right now I cant. But I try to improve myself as much as i can.

mrb

Good on you for doing that....cant understand people like that...

no nor can i ::(: poor dog bet it has a horrible life with that owner , gets into a bad mood then takes it out on the dog , a dog will love you to bits if your kind to it ... god knows whats going through the dogs mind being treated like that , in fact you hear a lot of stories in the papers about dogs attacking kids , i bet there being miss treated by there owners , so they get vicious , well thats my view anyway ....