Videotape yourself

TheTemp

It works!
I filmed me and my best friend interacting and the eye contact, body language, everything, was so perfect and natural. It gave me the confidence that I look perfect when I interact. I no longer have the fear of looking awkward or giving bad eye contact. I'm great. :) You should definitely try it if you have that thought in the back of your mind that you're not "doing it right". It really helps. :applause:Also really helped with my BDD which I've been complaining about a lot! My face looks fine and my expressions are perfectly fine! It really is all in my head. :)

MikeyC

I don't like my voice when I'm recorded. I think it sounds too nasally.

I don't like my face, either.

Good lord, maybe I do need to do it more to realise there's no issue.

EDIT: Wow, less about me, more about the OP, eh? Good on you, TheTemp. I'm glad you've found something that works because I do know you've been struggling with BDD for some time. :)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I found recording myself talking and listening it to it back helped me a lot, along the same lines. It sort of desensitized myself to my voice, so that I got used to it enough so that just hearing it wasn't such a "woah...I just said words" type of moment. Also allowed me to practice speaking at the correct volume for speaking. I definitely found it helpful and recommend it to anyone who has issues with their voice

aNOTfox

This really works, I would highly recommend it. We're not used to seeing ourselves so it can seem weird at first, but after a while you start to get used to seeing and hearing yourself and realise that you are "normal".

Let me know if anyone wants to start a youtube channel about social anxiety if their feeling confident enough. I still haven't given up on that idea!

ImNotMyIllness

I'm so hideous I can't even look myself in the mirror. I wouldn't be able to videotape that.

It's a good idea, though.

I hate looking at myself in the mirror. Even when I am looking at myself, I'm not really aware of my appearance. I look but I don't see. That being said, I need to gain more self awareness. I know that I am awkward. I need to see what awkward looks like in me. Then work on changing it.
I might have to take baby steps. Maybe start with taking pictures-Another thing I hate!

w*n*c*a*m

I've watched my younger self in several videos and I clearly noticed how I act so princessy when I was 6 years old; when I was 10, I act so proper and rigid and even when I'm laughing I can see how I try to be in control of myself; when I was 13, I act like gay especially my frikkin hand gestures; and in those videos, I noticed that my usual habit is to fold my arms and I sooooo hate it! I can show how insecure, cautious and so self conscious I am since I was a kid! I tried videotaping myself talking in front of the camera and I look like a frikkin clown when I smile, I look weird, I look like a 'trying-so-hard-loser',,,, so, in short videotaping just triggers my self-criticizing behaviour, no it won't help at all. But hey, good for ya! Keep it up.

laure15

I would like to try this sometime, not using a webcam (because my webcam is dark and quality sucks) but with a camcorder. Nowadays I rarely take pictures or videotape myself so when I see myself recorded in media, I become very surprised by my appearance.

ImNotMyIllness

I've watched my younger self in several videos and I clearly noticed how I act so princessy when I was 6 years old; when I was 10, I act so proper and rigid and even when I'm laughing I can see how I try to be in control of myself; when I was 13, I act like gay especially my frikkin hand gestures; and in those videos, I noticed that my usual habit is to fold my arms and I sooooo hate it! I can show how insecure, cautious and so self conscious I am since I was a kid! I tried videotaping myself talking in front of the camera and I look like a frikkin clown when I smile, I look weird, I look like a 'trying-so-hard-loser',,,, so, in short videotaping just triggers my self-criticizing behaviour, no it won't help at all. But hey, good for ya! Keep it up.

That's my concern too. Somehow, I need to bypass the tendency to self criticize. But, for someone like me, this is playing with fire. But, since I'm already burning, figuratively speaking, I might as well!