Us social phobics pull some weight. We represent 7 % of the population...

Johno

We can do more than complain about our situation... You see we have power, we represent 7 % of the population.... There is a forum for people like us... Furthermore most people relate to what we struggle with.. You do the sums...............

Felgen

No, most people do not relate to what we struggle with. Social anxiety is the most common form of anxiety--yet it's the most poorly understood form.

I agree that we can do more than complain over the situation, though. To get better at socializing, you need to leave your comfort zone. Luckily, people here are quite supportive of each other.

Ignace

I bet that 7% includes every little problem one has, not the actual % of really sa people.

Johno

The number one fear of most people is public speaking... Do you agree??? Most people understand our anxiety if you explain it in these terms.... If you tell them every day life is a stage (public forum) they get you... Cheers, Johno

Johno

Back in a minute... Some hot chick just messaged me on a dating site.... Probably a fake, I know.... I don't speak French.... Do you??

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
We can do more than complain about our situation... You see we have power, we represent 7 % of the population.... There is a forum for people like us... Furthermore most people relate to what we struggle with.. You do the sums...............
What exactly are you suggesting we do? :confused:

this_portrait

The percentage is probably higher than 7%, as many people with SA go untreated. It's actually surprising how many people have (or had) it. I used to be open about my SA when I had it bad, and no one around me seemed to understand. Now that I keep it to myself, I seem to come across more people who either have it or had it in the past.

Complaining about your situation will get you nowhere, though. That's all I did for a while. If anything, I was using my SA as an excuse. I was also just way too worried about what people would think of me if I became more outgoing, so I felt miserable for a long time.

Eventually, though, I got to the point where I just didn't give a sh*t anymore. I got fed up. I didn't want to conform to societal norms, but unfortunately if I didn't, I'd get nowhere. Now I hardly ever experience SA, and I feel a lot happier.

Remus

Staff member
Well Johno, a member got banned a few weeks back for being unsensitive with a 'pull yourselves together' thread and dug their own grave throughout that thread, so they got banned for a while.

Now, this is a support site, I appreciate your point of view but the first rule of SPW is....respect, so lets make surte we show some. I've met a few SAers, some are very badly SA, some have other mental health issues, let's remember that, I feel lucky that I managed to get a career and a good relationship, though I have slipped at times. things got bad and agorophobia crept back in. Still I keep fighting and I always will. I hope that's what you were trying to put across.