University bullshit

Klaus

I'm 24 and had quited University 4 times and I feel so sad with myself when I see pictures of my old friends as doctors, lawyers and etc. Why not me? Because of Social Phobia.

And now I plan to return, because I'm dealing better with Social Phobia, I'm taking efexor at the maximum dosage,
But I feel like a grandfather returning to University...

Anyone relate to all that bullshit?

nope1

Hey! Don't give up! The important thing is that you keep on trying!
I'm 24 also and I've had my share of disappointments. I entered one college at age 18 only quit 5 days later because of Social Phobia.

I've had a depression for almost 3 years... and I did absolutely nothing. And now, I'm trying to go to university. And I plan to force myself to stay there,

What I want to say is that it's NEVER too late to enter uni. Some are 40 years old and go back again to change their career.

So hey, as long as you keep trying, you're a winner, because Social Phobia is a f#$@ piece of shit of a disease that nobody understands but if you keep on trying, believe me, you'll be proud of yourself.

Nicholas

I'm 24 and had quited University 4 times and I feel so sad with myself when I see pictures of my old friends as doctors, lawyers and etc. Why not me? Because of Social Phobia.

And now I plan to return, because I'm dealing better with Social Phobia, I'm taking efexor at the maximum dosage,

Sure! Same here! My problems have been a bit different (I also have Hyperhidrosis, which increases my SA) but the result is the same. I haven't been able to study the way I wanted, I haven't been able to do anything and I feel like a failure (I am a failure in fact). I need to fix my problems and find a solution... and study something I love and which would be perfect for me. I don't know what, maybe psychology or something, since I already understand psychological problems.

But being so old (more or less your age) and being a failure, feeling like you should actually be at least five years younger... makes me feel so bad bro, yeah.

pufferfish

its really difficult... just remember to try your best to focus on what you need, what you want & your personal goals. age has nothing to do with it :)
good luck!

neko

Heck I think you're lucky you got yourself to Uni... I dropped out of high school because of social phobia... I feel pathetic! Everyone I knew goes to Uni now, I'm not.

klytus

Although the initial situation was different, as he already had a degree in CS, a friend of mine went back to university when he was around 40 and has now completed a PhD program in physics. An academic career is largely independent of your age. You can't be too old.

Focus on your studies. Ignore the people around you and interact with them only professionally, if more intimate contacts are unpleasant. Going to university is about acquiring professional skills and knowledge, as well as technical experience. Of course, the ability to team and manage a group of people is significant, but at the beginning it's more important to succeed in the classes.

I dropped out of high school because of social phobia..
Go back to high-school, get some sort of academic entrance qualification;

Most people alive will never see a university from the inside anyway.

Last edited:

recluse

I can relate. I used to go on facebook but got depressed when i saw schoolmates with good jobs, married etc.

I'm a wastrel, i have no ambitions.

Anubis

To be honest with you, 24 is not that old. You should be able to blend in with the 18-22 year olders pretty well. And if they ask, either don't say anything or just say you had medical complications that forced you out until now (You technically did, it's called severe anxiety).

klytus

In fact, that's the standard age of second year university students throughout mainland Europe. In Germany, most people are 20 when they finish high-school.

shield

That is really good you should be proud of yourself. 24 isn't old!! You have the best years of your life ahead of you. The main thing is your not being a quitter; you lost a few battles but you will win the war if you keep going as you have been. Best of luck.

Jannah

Banned
I am going to start college this year and I am 21 years old, so trust me I know how you feel. I am even hoping that there will be people around my age or older so I don't feel like I stick out.

dooby-duck

Don't worry about your age. University and college isn't a bit like school.You won't stand out like a sore thumb. There are people there of all ages. When I was at Uni, in our small class there were several people a few years older than normal, and even some in their thirties, forties, and fifties. They all fit in well and had friends to work with.

JCS008

It's never too late to start or go back to school. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Shinigami

Ive been told that the more facebook friends you have the less friends you have in real life so to speak. Part of me is saying thats rubbish really but you've got to have hope. However if your always catching people being online via the chatbox thing you can tell that there are plenty out there, even the socially confident who are bored out of their minds. I try to limit my time on that site, twice a week usually. Finding constructive things to do with my time no matter how small helps me feel good about myself.

mimi1988

I dropped out of college too. But it wasn't because my SA prevented me 4rm going to school all together. I just got frustrated because I didn't know EXACTLY what I wanted to do. (I kept changing my mind). I don't see the sense in going to school if you don't have a clear plan. To me, that's just a waste of time. I will say this much (though), my SA has and will continue to prevent me from even trying to go after a lot of jobs.

Richey

yeh this is my first attempt at the final year however i enrolled two years ago for the final year and stopped attending at the start because of social phobia and i felt lost in the world, i actually ended up driving my car past the college and drove around avoiding classes until it got to the stage where i felt too embarrassed to turn up at all, this lasted for months, it looks silly to the average person but at the time i literally had zero confidence in myself to do anything except what was within my comfort zone, everything else felt impossible. the average person wont understand that sort of behaviour but many people do understand it as well.

The people who seem to progress in university and a career tend to have this blissful ignorance to the fear of failure, its like they dont have a consciounce and they arn't afraid to adjust or take risks at all, that's the real key to approaching university. if you fail a test or a project there will always be opportunities to re-submit or gain a pass if you simply communicate with your mentors or teachers.

if you have symptoms of social anxiety on any level it can become more intense if you let the pressure of passing take over rather then just trying to learn the content and focussing on the content itself. i know i would sit down trying to tackle a problem and all i could focus on were the other students and the fact that i might fail if i attempt a problem so by the end of class i'd read and studied and didn't take in alot. however some days i flew through and worked harder then ever that it impressed other class members.

sometimes mood can dictate how you behave. its easy to walk into the halls of a university/school with a sense of dread and self hatred. you really need to find a positive reason to take everything in your stride. its like when you see a smooth talker trip over, you dont find it funny and nobody really cares all that much but if that was you, or just say you start talking for the sake of it, we believe everyone is judging us harshly and its not true.

i just wish i had the knowledge i have now that i had when i was 18 years old, so i could start my adult life at an earlier age rather then struggling just to obtain a diploma, i mean its humiliating to me now, but thats how it panned out and i have to learn from it. its not as bad as people who i noticed enrolled in the course and they had no interest in the subject, whats the point in that?

anything is possible with a little effort and energy, if you put in you'll be rewarded eventually and social phobia is not something i wish upon anyone because it has the potential to stop you in your tracks by avoiding everything and that is why its such a big deal and needs combatting as soon as you can even if its painful.

the age group of people in my class is quite varied, we have people in their teens, 20s, 30s. 40s. 50s and so forth, they are all there for different reasons, chamge of career, starting a career, age doesn't have to be an issue when it comes to study.

Last edited:

Richey

there are people in my class who have an incredible aptitude of memory and conceptualising content that its quite startling. they can listen to theory for a couple of hours and understand it all with sheer ease, problems and content that i have to study for days and days just to pick the fruit with ....

i'm so jeolous of their ability to just "get it" and then to explain it...

i want that. they also regularly obtain 90 percent with little study and its complex problem solving.

i hate them, laugh out loud.

Last edited:

Avery

I can definitely relate. I started (community) college at 20. I progressed slowly, because I kept withdrawing from classes I couldn't pass (math especially), and because I spent the summers looking for jobs (and failing to find them) instead of catching up. I'm a 22-year-old sophomore about to earn a useless associate's degree in general studies.

So don't let it drag you down too much. No one even knows I'm as old as I am, and hell, I'm going bald already.