Unemployment

Littlewilly

I know this sounds unbelieveable but I have been out of work now for nearly 10 years. I live in the uk & I used to work for the BBCTV until i was made redundant because the place where i worked the operation closed down. Afterwards i then became a paid carer for my elderly parents, mainly just doing the shopping,cleaning & washing then unfortunatly they both died within 6 months of each other, my dad first then my mum (bless them both) then after that i had to try to find work which wasn't easy so in the last 4 years i've been working through various agencies with a minimum wage & lousy jobs which didn't last very long & i also have this seasonal gardening job working for an organisation called AGE UK doing gardening for the elderly with really low pay & not always reliable customers. oh how i wish those days at the BBC were still here. I didn't realise how valuable they were or have i just not moved on. Its not easy when you've worked for a company like the BEEB for 25 years to change:confused:

bsammy

wel you havent actually been out of work for 10 years, youve been working lesser jobs, correct??

i know someone thats been out of work due to SA/depression for 13 years..i wouldnt even know how to get out of that rut :(

MikeyC

Being a carer is not unemployment. You had to do what you had to do. Hopefully that, plus your experience working with the BBC will help you out soon.

MollyBeGood

I know this sounds unbelieveable but I have been out of work now for nearly 10 years. I live in the uk & I used to work for the BBCTV until i was made redundant because the place where i worked the operation closed down. Afterwards i then became a paid carer for my elderly parents, mainly just doing the shopping,cleaning & washing then unfortunatly they both died within 6 months of each other, my dad first then my mum (bless them both) then after that i had to try to find work which wasn't easy so in the last 4 years i've been working through various agencies with a minimum wage & lousy jobs which didn't last very long & i also have this seasonal gardening job working for an organisation called AGE UK doing gardening for the elderly with really low pay & not always reliable customers. oh how i wish those days at the BBC were still here. I didn't realise how valuable they were or have i just not moved on. Its not easy when you've worked for a company like the BEEB for 25 years to change:confused:

wow the BBC. *jealous* I used to have decent work for good pay for the last 10 yrs myself till I wrecked my body doing physical labor-I am a petite blonde female. Now I am trying to get back into working again after a divorce I worked in construction with my X. I loved the work, outside in nature and always felt like I got something accomplished. Mostly I just loved being outside. Anyhoo now I am feeling worthless and useless because i cannot do that kind of work anymore so I know how you feel..
I am with you..

028ellie81

I have just been made redundant 2 weeks ago. i am actually enjoying not working at the moment I have so much I want to do. I dread meeting new people again as someone with SA and learning a new job in case I get rejected or people think i'm weird because I am quiet. I know I will want to work soon as the money dries up and I develop more confidence. But just for the moment I am going to try andenjoy my freedom

Feathers

Oh Wow, you worked for BBC!!

Sorry that is completely unrelated, but did you ever work with Hugh Laurie or Stephen Fry? (Or Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy or such)? Sorry but I'm such a fan lol!!

Yeah these 'TV jobs' can possibly be hard to come by? (sis told me of someone else with this/similar problem) Some people record weddings or work for smaller/local TV stations or such? There are some paid jobs for carers too, different people/organisations may pay differently?
Or do you know anyone from 'back then' who could help?

You can make these smaller jobs look good on CV too, there are tips online!!

Hope you manage to find some good things!!

Littlewilly

Yeh! signing-on is to make sure you attend the Job centre every 2 weeks to sign a little form which enables you to claim your benefits while your seeking work & they also supposed to help you to find suitable employment & try to get you on these stupid idiotic courses like (Employability courses) which they probably think those of us that effectivly seeking work are a bunch of idiots or dossers that need to know how to act on a job intv. They also expect you to fill in forms to show that you are actively trying to find work which there is not much in the uk at present & expect you to live on £67 a week soon to go up to £71 a week but it is soul destroying when you have worked for 25 years solid & suddenly your off down to this god forsaken place claiming benefits just to keep your head above water. The only available jobs are in warehouses which i loath & even then you have to apply like everyone else,you just don't get the job if its available which as said before there's not alot. When i was working at the BBC i worked in the section of the now defunked BBC/OPEN UNIVERSITY which was the reason why i was made redundant because that setup has now closed so didn't come into contact with many celebs.::eek::

MikeyC

Yeh! signing-on is to make sure you attend the Job centre every 2 weeks to sign a little form which enables you to claim your benefits while your seeking work & they also supposed to help you to find suitable employment & try to get you on these stupid idiotic courses like (Employability courses) which they probably think those of us that effectivly seeking work are a bunch of idiots or dossers that need to know how to act on a job intv. They also expect you to fill in forms to show that you are actively trying to find work which there is not much in the uk at present & expect you to live on £67 a week soon to go up to £71 a week but it is soul destroying when you have worked for 25 years solid & suddenly your off down to this god forsaken place claiming benefits just to keep your head above water. The only available jobs are in warehouses which i loath & even then you have to apply like everyone else,you just don't get the job if its available which as said before there's not alot. When i was working at the BBC i worked in the section of the now defunked BBC/OPEN UNIVERSITY which was the reason why i was made redundant because that setup has now closed so didn't come into contact with many celebs.::eek::
Ah, I understand. I have no idea how anyone could survive on £67 a week, but I guess something is better than absolutely nothing...right?

I have heard that the UK is going through a "lost generation" of young people who simply can't find work. I hope you're not going to be part of that, too. ::(: