this thread must stay alive or the world will end

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
*Feeds thread post* That was a close one. I think I read somewhere threads can only survive a few weeks with a healthy supply of posts. Or that may have been humans and food....

hoddesdon

What, don't you people care? It is 5 minutes to midnight. I made it just in time. If I hadn't, you would not be reading this now.

I hate this thread. I have to waste my hard earned characters keeping this thing alive. Why can't we put it on a ventilator or something?

MrJones

4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah, I just saved the world, you're welcome.... I'll be back in 108 minutes

Sorry all, but further posting has now become obsolete.

Give the world my regards as I watch it crumble from my secret moon base.. eh.. I mean.. Lake cottage that is totally located on Earth somewhere.. and not in space. Truth. Pinky swear.

Rembrandt Broam

Has anyone wondered why people say the show must go on?

Because if you let the show go off, it starts to stink the place up.

Is there really no business like show business? I'm sure there must be businesses that are very similar. Accountancy, for example.

Has anyone wondered why people say the show must go on?

Probably a rough copied analogy from actual show performers whom consider ''the show'' priority number one. There are cases where there are deaths within the cast/co-workers staff, and the show still continued because they deemed the show to be that important.

Calling an event you dread (because of a recent other negative events) a ''show'' takes some of the edge off. And using it in the context of a performer, however emulated, boosts moral ever so slightly. Metaphors also have the tendency to sound somewhat funny; ''The show must go on.'' sounds a whole lot less negative then ''I really don't want to do this. But I'll do it anyway.'', also taking some of the edge of for the person you're saying it to.

But a better question yet, why is the phrase not applied when they bin yet another good movie/television show/theater performance? Apparently, the show does go on whenever enough money can be retrieved from it.

Last edited: