[This cures your anxiety?] ->Keeping yourself busy/Involvement in activities?

LovelyAmor

Ok so I am a member of another website called Social Anxiety Forum - Powered by vBulletin. I found it to be really similar to this one but I wanted to join it anyways. ::p:

This guy made a post that I find very interesting:

(REMINDER: I did not write this.) [Link to post if you want to see responses : Just move on with life. don't be on these forums. - Social Anxiety Forum]

(It's the same way he wrote it, just in a different font ::p:)

---------------

I have done CBT , hypnotherapy , grouptherapy everything and nothing really worked always depressed looking on websites like these to not feel so alone.

But in the end it only made it worse , you are constant reminding yourself of your anxiety and helpless situation with no light at the end of the dark tunnel.

After years and years blaming my self of not having a job , friends and living sa & gad/depression everyday hell.

Then at my lowest point I decided that there need change now or im kill my self if I need to live this for the rest of my life.
It was like switch in my mind, I decided to not anxiety influcence what I did in my life , from mind set : I never will get a good job , I will fail , im a victim of my own anxiety I decided to think : I have control over my life I don't let anxiety control me anymore.

Then at first stopped researching my anxiety disorders stoped with therapy everything that reminded me of my anxiety, afhter that I learned cooking, guitar playing , played nintendo/gamecube ,my favorite games zelda which was really distracting and the more I did that the more my thoughts changed to happy thoughs and non-anxious thoughts.. the more I did my hobbies the more I forgot about my anxiety and pushed my slowly to do more things till the point your life is so filled with fun distractin activities that your anxiety become 2nd place and you forget to be anxious.

Im doing this now for the last 4-5 months and the change is almost dramatically im finding my own self again , the more confident one.
Im now doing things that would caused me panic attacks and now I feel almost no anxiety left, sometimes I feel my heart pounding fast and then I think oh its just anxiety and just laugh about it.
Months ago I though I gonna die in such silly situation.
Im much more confident now and im still growing.

I like this quote :“The way you overcome shyness is to become so wrapped up in something that you forget to be afraid” - Claudia Lady Bird Johnson.

I don't know your experiece with therapy etc. but looking back I think it made more anxious constant reminding myself about my anxiety talking about made more focused on my breathing and how I was feeling in certain situations and I think find almost comfort in my helpless situation by searching forums like these and research anxiety for not facing the world.
And what someone really needs is just distraction (challgence/fun) everyday almost all day long and just slowly move on with life ( I would advice to just do things you like to do that cllegence your mind enough to not think about your anxiety , like complex games zelda, or learning music etc.etc fill your day with these activities for the next 1-2 weeks so you got happy thoughts and then slowly introduce yourself to the things like a job etc. and stick with your activites) so that you push your negative anxiety/depressed thoughts out of your life.

I hope this is helpfull for some people , I can only say it worked for me.

---------------

Do any of you believe this is true? I downloaded CBT therapy from the internet and have been using it off and on for a couple weeks. Sometimes it really works for me. But I feel like the more I 'think' about controlling my anxiety, the more anxious I will get? When something bad/wrong happens I go crazy and think things are hopeless and this CBT is a bunch of B.S...Very frustrating.

So as far as hobbies? I used to play the flute. ^_^ I haven't played that much since middle school though. I still have it too. People thought I was good and I was ranked 1rst chair in my middle school band one time! This was all before my anxiety spiraled out of control. I was gonna play in high school but my mom talked me out of it because she thought it would be 'too much' for my first year. And the funny part about it is that I actually auditioned and they accepted me! I'm very angry she did that to me now :mad:. Oh well, right?:rolleyes:

Anyway I am about to be a second semester sophomore in college now. They have a marching band, jazz ensemble, wind ensemble, and all that stuffs here. Since I hadn't been playing my flute in a long time, I just decided not to try out for anything. I'm overweight and I think the marching band would have been too much for me to handle. (I'm exercising and eating healthy now though-lost 40 pounds!)

I have really bad SA and AvPD, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I have trouble studying and keeping up with my work. And this ALL come from my anxiety. Do you think I should start playing my flute again? When I used to play it was like a stress-reliever for me and I felt really good sometimes. Should I stop my CBT? Should I just STOP 'thinking' about my anxiety period and just concentrate on activities and my work? Like this guy said, the more he involved himself in activities/hobbies, the less he thought about his anxiety and the less nervous he was.

I really want to know how everyone feels about this. I don't know if I should quit my CBT all-together, but this kind of makes since. So please don't just read & leave lol. Thanks.

just wanna b normal

haha im thinking about joining that site SAS it looks alot more sophisticated & professional. wait thats what i said im tired of going to these sites! but yeah i think that guy might be rite! cuzz he sounds like he knows what hes talking about. but yeah im going to try that. thanks lovelyamor & pok!

Last edited:

LovelyAmor

haha im thinking about joining that site SAS it looks alot more sophisticated & professional.

Hahaha! :D It actually does! I like the section "Coping With Social Anxiety" because there are always active posts-something I can click on and read, instead of waiting like I do on here. The most active thread on here is "Post your picture thread". Wasn't this site created to help us overcome social phobia? I see people talking about a lot of (not meaning to be rude..) pointless gibbberish and rambling about a lot of random mumbo jumbo...:confused: :rolleyes: LOL

SAS is A LOT better, butt I was here first and I always look here before I do SAS. ;) It's still helpful

Hahaha! :D It actually does! I like the section "Coping With Social Anxiety" because there are always active posts-something I can click on and read, instead of waiting like I do on here. The most active thread on here is "Post your picture thread". Wasn't this site created to help us overcome social phobia? I see people talking about a lot of (not meaning to be rude..) pointless gibbberish and rambling about a lot of random mumbo jumbo...:confused: :rolleyes: LOL

SAS is A LOT better, butt I was here first and I always look here before I do SAS. ;) It's still helpful

This is supposed to be a support site where people with SA can feel safe and secure to post without judgement.

Do you really think is fair to comment on some people's posts as..."pointless gibberish and rambling about a lot of random mumbo jumbo"..... :(

Some people come here for the sense of community/friendship as well as advice.

LovelyAmor

This is supposed to be a support site where people with SA can feel safe and secure to post without judgement.

Do you really think is fair to comment on some people's posts as..."pointless gibberish and rambling about a lot of random mumbo jumbo"..... :(

Some people come here for the sense of community/friendship as well as advice.

I did not mean to offend you when I said that. And saying that, I am referring to threads such as "Counting to infinity", where all you are doing is posting numbers? I do not mean real threads or real posts, (not just "some people's posts" in general) actually talking about issues, where people are actually looking for advice and help. Those are the ones that get ignored with hardly ANY views, which I think is extremely unfair.

I think it is unfair that a lot of the people on here are having "small talk" in certain threads instead of replying to the threads where people actually need help. You did not even comment on anything that I have said, only on this harmless statement that didn't need to be taken that seriously.

The first person that replied only said "CBT is flawed, ACT is better." That didn't really help much. Again I apologize if I offended you or anyone else but I am standing behind that.

Last edited:

LovelyAmor

Can someone please express their opinion on my topic please? That would be very helpful...:confused:

Last edited:

just wanna b normal

I did not mean to offend you when I said that. And saying that, I am referring to threads such as "Counting to infinity", where all you are doing is posting numbers? I do not mean real threads or real posts, (not just "some people's posts" in general) actually talking about issues, where people are actually looking for advice and help. Those are the ones that get ignored which I think is extremely unfair.

I think it is unfair that a lot of the people on here are having "small talk" in certain threads instead of replying to the threads where people actually need help. You did not even comment on anything that I have said, only on this harmless statement that didn't need to be taken that seriously.

exactly! you would see that confuseddd has made it a thread & turn what you were talking about into a question. on the thread, "dont read this one its pretty pointless" lol im glad someone had the guts to say it becuzz its true!:)
but yeah i know what you mean they mostly comment on the one thats pretty pointless instead of the ones thats important.:confused:

UnOccupied

I think that guy makes a good point. But, i have heard things like this before, and yes, they may work temporarily to give you a shot of energy, and newfound motivation, but in the end, points of view like this can just make you feel worse when they stop working.

I believe being cured is different for everyone, and maybe this may work to fully cure someone, but for others such as myself, CBT has prooven to be very effective.

I have come so far from where i was in just 5 months from CBT. I hope everyone could find something that works for them to overcome their SA, but in the end, it is up to each individual person. CBT may work for some, ACT for others, therapy for others, or completely forgetting about it like this guy. But, i did notice many of his thoughts are ones i used to have, that i have been able to manage from CBT.

You can't fight your feelings, and i know from experience that from experience. The more i tried to ignore my shyness, and anxiety, and the more i tried to just live my life, the more the SA slowly developed. You need to deal with your emoitons and feelings, and learn to manage them, in my opinion.

I hope this doesn't deter anyone from doing the original posters suggestion, its just my point of view, everyone's entitled to their own :)

just wanna b normal

You can't fight your feelings, and i know from experience that from experience. The more i tried to ignore my shyness, and anxiety, and the more i tried to just live my life, the more the SA slowly developed. You need to deal with your emoitons and feelings, and learn to manage them, in my opinion.

no! i notice that too i mean the whole reason how i found out about social anxiety it becuzz i was acting weird. i didnt know what the heck was wrong with me!:confused:

LovelyAmor

I think that guy makes a good point. But, i have heard things like this before, and yes, they may work temporarily to give you a shot of energy, and newfound motivation, but in the end, points of view like this can just make you feel worse when they stop working.

I believe being cured is different for everyone, and maybe this may work to fully cure someone, but for others such as myself, CBT has prooven to be very effective.

I have come so far from where i was in just 5 months from CBT. I hope everyone could find something that works for them to overcome their SA, but in the end, it is up to each individual person. CBT may work for some, ACT for others, therapy for others, or completely forgetting about it like this guy. But, i did notice many of his thoughts are ones i used to have, that i have been able to manage from CBT.

I hope this doesn't deter anyone from doing the original posters suggestion, its just my point of view, everyone's entitled to their own :)

First, thank you for actually replying to my topic! :D:rolleyes: And yes, I agree with this. I have tried it before but it will not exactly remove my anxiety for good. I just wanted another point of view :)

That's true. I think that has to do will all things in life. You cannot just ignore your problems, you have to face them. I have a hard time with my emotions and feelings because I grew up in a emotionally cold environment, but I do feel like I am getting better. I'm doing CBT, not consistently like I should, but im trying. I think I need to feel it out more and get the hang of it you know?

I believe that I can still involve myself in activities AND continue to do CBT! ^_^

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
This reminds me of a quote by Ghandi that I read years ago: “There would be nothing to fear if you refused to be afraid.” It was an interesting idea, and one that I tried my damnedest to put to use to try and jump-start a new attitude towards my phobias and anxiety.

But like most novel-sounding ideas concerning overcoming SA, the effects only lasted as long as my willpower did. It’s something nice to reach for as a short term fix, maybe when you need that extra little “jolt" to get you through a bad day, or some event that’s going to be particularly tough, but as far as a solution in the long term, it just won’t cut it.

I’ve long since given up hope on a "lightening bolt / epiphany / spiritual rebirth" moment where all my introverted, anxious ways will suddenly be wiped away. Maybe when you’re young these kinds of things can happen, and these kinds of tips and tales can have great effect, but once you get to be up around 25 or so I’d say, the anxiety hook is gonna be pretty-well set.

These are just my opinions of course, based on my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt and keep that in mind.

this is all well and good, but is getting wrapped up in your hobbies actually putting your social anxiety to the test? sure i bet your general anxiety is down and you feel alot better becuase your not constantly placing emphasis on your SA but has it really gone away? untill you get out into the general public and do somthing that normally trigures your anxiety in a social setting and notice thats its greatly reduced then you've only showed us that not thinking about it has improved your mood thats all..

(this is directed to the person who wrote this post btw not to you, i only realised you didn't write it till later)

Last edited:

Kiwong

"Get busy living, or get busy dieing"

That line from the film Shawshank Redemption is my motto, and I put it into practice every day. Having said that living with anxiety is hard, and trying to live more can create difficulties.

To be honest playing lots of nintendo/gamecube would not be my idea of getting out and living more.

I've been to the other forum you mention, but I prefer it here.

UnOccupied

But like most novel-sounding ideas concerning overcoming SA, the effects only lasted as long as my willpower did. It’s something nice to reach for as a short term fix, maybe when you need that extra little “jolt" to get you through a bad day, or some event that’s going to be particularly tough, but as far as a solution in the long term, it just won’t cut it.

Couldn't agree with you more my friend. I find good things to do and exercises all the time, that only work temporarily. But, they only last until my willpower goes out on me.

I am not saying CBT is perfect. But, for all the good it has done to me, i just don't see how anyone can knock it. I have been slowly(over 5 months) putting rational thoughts into my head. And yes, at times i get VERY down on myself for still having some SA and getting depressed a few times throughout a day. With that said, if i had to measure, i would say my life has doubled in joy(as weird as that sounds) since i started CBT. I now feel i have a base, or a backbone that i can rely on when i need it. Whereas before CBT, i felt lost, confused, and helpless.