Things to ask/say to strangers?

kuhtreen

I want to challenge myself to talk to strangers when I go places. Baby steps are better than nothing, right? I just want to ask about simple things...like what time it is, how someone's day is going, or just simply saying hello. Maybe also complimenting people just to conversate a little bit, like "Your shirt is so cute, where did you get it?"

Anyway, my point is..can you help me think of other things that I could say?
I want to have a lot of options so I don't get bored with it day after day. I can't think of anything else other than the ones I've already mentioned.

lonelypothead

haha I thought I was the only one who did this. I usually just ask where some nearby building is and try to start a conversation from that.

BlackKids

Get the Hell outta My way!!! lol
Most people here just ask how your doing? comment on the weather.
Just ask people if they have change for a dollar, directions , if you can use their phone etc

The stranger the strange

There's tons of stuff you can ask random strangers. I don't like it when people ask me where I get stuff, because I've given answers like "the trash can" or "the lost and found". I'm sure that's just me being an idiot though.

Well I think there are two basic types of questions you can ask. There is the Yes/no questions, which can end on answer. There's also more specific questions where each person would have a different answer. You would have to get more creative with these ones, not the basic useless conversation question.

I used to sometimes say things to random strangers, but it was always like yelling really weird things, and from super far away. I would totally do it all the time if they couldn't see me!!!

Tiercel

Wear a watch with a dial and hands when you go out. When you see a hottie, ask him if he could tell you what time it is. You know how those watches can be. Maybe you pulled the crown out without knowing it about 45 minutes ago. Or maybe you think the battery is getting low. Just make sure that your cell phone (if you have one) won't ring and blow your cover.

Ask about bands t-shirts. Even if you don't know the band, ask about it if you think it might be one. "What kind of music do they play?" You could even end the conversation with something like, "well, if you like them enough to wear their shirt, maybe I should check them out." Just smile with that one, or they might think you're just being a jerk.

Speaking of shirts, if you recognize brands of things like guitars, amps, and drums, you could ask people what they play. That could give you the option of asking follow up questions. "Are you in a band?" or "What types of music do you like to play?" Of course if you actually know about (or play) the gear in question you could get into particulars.

If you see a guy who needs to shave you could compliment his beard. Or even a guy who has a beard and isn't just too lazy to shave. Same goes for any hair styles that catch your eye.

If you're in a park, ask a passerby about some bird you just saw or heard. If they don't know the difference between a duck and a goose, no worries. If they do know, you might learn something new.

If you're into sports you could always talk about that. But a pretty girl with an interest in sports is most guys' dream, so be careful with this one.

I_Walk_Alone

Wear a watch with a dial and hands when you go out. When you see a hottie, ask him if he could tell you what time it is. You know how those watches can be. Maybe you pulled the crown out without knowing it about 45 minutes ago. Or maybe you think the battery is getting low. Just make sure that your cell phone (if you have one) won't ring and blow your cover.

Ask about bands t-shirts. Even if you don't know the band, ask about it if you think it might be one. "What kind of music do they play?" You could even end the conversation with something like, "well, if you like them enough to wear their shirt, maybe I should check them out." Just smile with that one, or they might think you're just being a jerk.

Speaking of shirts, if you recognize brands of things like guitars, amps, and drums, you could ask people what they play. That could give you the option of asking follow up questions. "Are you in a band?" or "What types of music do you like to play?" Of course if you actually know about (or play) the gear in question you could get into particulars.

If you see a guy who needs to shave you could compliment his beard. Or even a guy who has a beard and isn't just too lazy to shave. Same goes for any hair styles that catch your eye.

If you're in a park, ask a passerby about some bird you just saw or heard. If they don't know the difference between a duck and a goose, no worries. If they do know, you might learn something new.

If you're into sports you could always talk about that. But a pretty girl with an interest in sports is most guys' dream, so be careful with this one.

May I ask why you think men NEED to shave? ;)

ramirez

I have also tried this. I was walking the street and telling everybody "hi" or "hello". Scary but funny too :)
You can also go into the shop and start a conversation with a clerk, pretending you want to buy something, asking for an opinion. I sometimes talk with people waiting with me in supermarket queue.

SammyT

walking down the street

" Salutations! "

serving suggestion : big grin + wave

or

how about this

"Salve citizen!"

hahah, make someone laugh at least!

I_Walk_Alone

dont get it sorry

what does salve mean?

Anyway, i'd either say "Hows it goin', mate" or "hgdsyugfiuwhsfgiuherqughipuerahguharsuieghiuaerhguiphaieu"

SammyT

lol, you ever seen Rome, the tv series? thats how the romans greet each other , Salve (sal-way) means hello I think.

i sound like some latin nerd now, but thats good, im happy with that