There must be something more to social anxiety..

dancingintherain

You may think this question/thread may be pointless and not worth pondering..but ah, hell, I'm gonna go ahead.

There must be something more to social anxiety, right? Not only we feel anxious in social situations, but you feel you cannot connect with people. And we are sort of alike by the way we think and what we avoid in our characteristics. It's like Aspergers Syndrome, something some people are born with. - (Although some get social anxiety later in their life)

I remember when I was in nursery, it was story-time and I sat paces away from the closed together group. I felt like (and still feel like) I don't belong on this world.

jaim38

I feel the same way. I also feel very different from the people around me, as if I was never meant to belong in the first place. When I sit around people, I am scared of making weird noises, farting, etc.

Steppen-Wolf

I think some of us take solace in the idea that there may be something a little mystical about our problem. That we're somehow different not only due to a mundane mental condition, but that somehow we see the world in a way we're not supposed to.

But after so many years and a lot experiences I no longer believe in this. We're not really different from "normal" people except for the fact that our brains are conditioned to react in ways that are less than common. This conditioning can be reversed in many cases and then we would be just like anyone else.

Gadfly

I can connect just fine...I just think most people aren't worth the effort and/or aren't trustworthy. If you're sufficiently different from the norm and aren't able/willing to conform, alienation ensues predictably. It's a sick society. I'm not the problem.