The Universe and Social Phobia

EvilFlyingCow

To those of us who live in the country and not in the city, we can only see a tiny fraction of the 100+ billion stars in our Milky Way galaxy. Our sun is just one of those stars.

From Earth, we can see an approximate radius of 28 billion light years away. This view includes other galaxies, clusters of galaxies and super-clusters of galaxies, many stars of whom contain other solar systems of planets. What would we see if we traveled, say, 14 billion light years from Earth. Probably trillions and trillions of other stars. Given this probability, it is highly likely that there are other planets similar to Earth in our universe.

So if you were able to travel to other Earth-like planets, would you still have Social Phobia? Or would you readily share information about your home-planet Earth to other humanoids and begin to view your fellow Earthling as mere brothers and sisters?

Sorry, I'm on drugs.

Silentknight

I really like this question allthough I unfortunatly have no answers for you I really don't know how I would react in a situation such as that.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
If I have social phobia around imaginary people, I bet I'd get it in front of any humanoid too. Maybe if the aliens weren't anthropomorphic, i'd feel safer :p

Depends on the nature of the aliens more than their forms I guess. If they're the type that follows a dog-eat-dog philosophy, then I'd be even more terrified. But if they're generally a more noble version of humanity... representing the best of us... I'd be more comfortable.

Silentknight

Depends on the nature of the aliens more than their forms I guess. If they're the type that follows a dog-eat-dog philosophy, then I'd be even more terrified. But if they're generally a more noble version of humanity... representing the best of us... I'd be more comfortable.

I second this

Square_Eyes

You wouldn't want me up there, representing us all. I don't think I make a very good first impression.

You wouldn't want me up there, representing us all. I don't think I make a very good first impression.

I'm sure you'll do great! :) Just don't follow the guy below... (kidding :p)

farside_alien.jpg

Last edited:

Liberty

Banned
To those of us who live in the country and not in the city, we can only see a tiny fraction of the 100+ billion stars in our Milky Way galaxy. Our sun is just one of those stars.

From Earth, we can see an approximate radius of 28 billion light years away. This view includes other galaxies, clusters of galaxies and super-clusters of galaxies, many stars of whom contain other solar systems of planets. What would we see if we traveled, say, 14 billion light years from Earth. Probably trillions and trillions of other stars. Given this probability, it is highly likely that there are other planets similar to Earth in our universe.

So if you were able to travel to other Earth-like planets, would you still have Social Phobia? Or would you readily share information about your home-planet Earth to other humanoids and begin to view your fellow Earthling as mere brothers and sisters?

Sorry, I'm on drugs.

Good question. In general I tend to react exactly the same almost anything that is alive. Adults, kids, babies, animals, myself in the mirror. It's all the same. I'm sure aliens would fit in that category as well.