The social thing you don't have problem with

GIOLANDA

Actually,every social interaction brings some normal anxiety,so I mean social things that don't cause SA specifically and that you're generally OK with it,or even good at it. This is mine: I have no problem of talking in public. I used to be a presenter at school events and everyone told me how beautiful I spoke. I also had large poems in front of so many eyes. And I had no problem of talking in class-I really loved reading aloud. If I was judged only by talking,who would believe I have SA? What about you?

nedkelly

I feel not to bad speaking on the phone, and sometimes strangers in public, who i know i will unlikely see again.
But yet i can't go outside my front door..phobic of neighbours :? :x

Reholla

Interesting question....

I am actually the opposite of you Giolanda. Deep down I would love to talk, and be outspoken. But the one thing I hated about high school was oral presentations. I would be completely anxious all day when I had a report to give at the very end of the day. My friends would try to reassure me and tell me "Dont worry I get so nervous too"...But i knew something about how I felt was different. Even when I was a kid, if wed go over to extended family's house for a party or something, I would love when my mom spoke FOR me....cause that meant I just had to stand there, look pretty and smile, and all my aunts would think I was cute. Haha...anyways..so I'm not big on talking. My anixety probably stems from that.

But what is kinda ironic is that I have no problem performing or having people watch me. As long as it requires no talking. I feel like I would freeze if I had to speak in front a large crowd. I did dance team all in high school and I LOVED performing at basketball games...or for crowds as large as 2,000 people. So pretty much anything that doesnt require talking is good for me. But thankfully now its slowly getting better! I'm not to the point where I could just give up and give a presentation and feel confident...but one day I am GOING to!

Morgs

CaptainQuirk said:
I felt like somebody then. I felt needed and appreciated .

Any time i am in this possition my sp dissapears untill i am in a differant situation, then the sp comes strait back

cLavain

I'm not good at anything social. I do stuff, but I'm usually nervous and don't excel in anything involving other people. Sorry... :oops:

Morgs

cLavain said:
I'm not good at anything social. I do stuff, but I'm usually nervous and don't excel in anything involving other people. Sorry... :oops:

Please dont be sorry

u are u so dont apoligize to anyone, :( Please

cLavain

Morgs said:
cLavain said:

Please dont be sorry

u are u so dont apoligize to anyone, :( Please
Oh, that's okay, really! I'm just sorry about bringing down the average in this thread! :wink:

Quixote

I'm not good at anything social. I do stuff, but I'm usually nervous and don't excel in anything involving other people. Sorry...

Same here...let's drag the average further down in the abyss! This thread is somewhat depressing anyway... :)

I attended an exam today, I was so anxious that some 70% of what I had studied simply disappeared from my mind the moment the first question came (it was an oral exam). Still I managed to pass, with a lower grade than I deserved. I then proceeded to sign the necessary paperwork with a trembling hand, picked up my backpack in a somewhat clumsy manner, and finally made it for the exit with a handful of people staring at this strange awkard guy, who suddently appeared to take an exam, hardly ever seen before since he hardly attended any lectures and never speaks to anyone.
I'm not feeling very optimistic today about my life prospects :), but hopefully it will pass.

SongOfSongs

I don't know if this counts as "social", but I don't have a problem with writing in front of others, which is sometimes a symptom of SAD.

boodizm

Interesting question, I suppose I always focussed on the things I couldn't do well.
I actually enjoy talking to people one on one and getting to know them even if I find it a little hard initiating a conversation. For some reason I see this as a challenge rather than something I fear which I wish I could adapt to other areas I have trouble with.
However when it comes to talking among or to a group of people I get quite intimidated which I've worked on not letting it show but it just clams me up. As for presentations/public speaking then i'm all but a lost cause.

Septor

cLavain said:

Your are not the only one.You just described me.There goes that average again. :wink:

stormygrey

Quixote said:
I attended an exam today, I was so anxious that some 70% of what I had studied simply disappeared from my mind the moment the first question came (it was an oral exam). Still I managed to pass, with a lower grade than I deserved. I then proceeded to sign the necessary paperwork with a trembling hand, picked up my backpack in a somewhat clumsy manner, and finally made it for the exit with a handful of people staring at this strange awkard guy, who suddently appeared to take an exam, hardly ever seen before since he hardly attended any lectures and never speaks to anyone.
I'm not feeling very optimistic today about my life prospects :), but hopefully it will pass.

I totally know what that feels like. I've been writing exams for the past 3 years in the same way... I just nearly flunked my final 12th grade exams (where I live, they are called the A levels). And just a few days back I wrote another test.. I could have done better if it hadn't been for the fact that, I was just staring at the question without any idea of what i should write (though I know I knew the answers) and all I could think of right then was how I looked, and how the whole thing was freaking me out. arg... sorry I suck at explaining things.. haha

stormygrey

As for being good at anything social.... I'm not really good at anything social, even if it's online. Well, talking online is marginally better than face-to-face. But even so, I just can't get myself to connect with people, even if I know I can. I tried rash attempts over the past few years to come out of my phobia to talk to my friends - but it just doesn't go right, I still can't connect with them, it just feels worse than before.

GIOLANDA

jinxed said:
Hi Giolanda, great post.
I just have a question though, if you don't have a problem w/ 'speaking' in public And so many ppl 'looking' at you, then what left of SA/SP do you have?
Just wondering. It's ok if you don't want to answer.
Thank you! Do you want to know my list? Look at this:
Afraid of: eating,walking in front of ppl, making eye-contact, talking to neighbours,entering a public place,being watched while doing sth,shopping,having a relationship,having friends,going to the beach,driving,mania of hiding-closing doors and many others I don't remember now. What do you think of that? :wink:
Also,cLavain and septor,don't care about the average,there are hundreds of SA ppl all over the world after all,so nobody knows the average. Except for this,you may have sth social you're good at and simply never have considered it. If you still aren't convinced by all this,then just be proud of being original SA ppl!

TailsAlone

Eye contact. I always look people in the eye because it's the one lesson about communication I managed to hold onto. The eyes are windows into the soul, or so they say, but when I look at most people I don't see much. And eye contact doesn't help much in any way I can see. It just makes whatever message you have more direct and personal, and I don't have a lot of messages I'm willing to send. Honestly, if people knew half of what went on in my head I would probably be locked up already. ^^

I was also good in school if I tried, because I could sort out the information I needed and retain it in my head during the tests. If the tests had been given directly by the teacher and I had to answer verbally, that would have been harder.

Also, I don't believe your sig, Giolanda. If God is watching, he's watching me suffer and doing absolutely nothing.

EDIT: And I'm so absent-minded I just bumped a six-year-old thread. Oops.

Last edited:
To GIOLANDA: A bit off topic, and i certainly mean no offence, but it kinda unnerves me that your sig is "BE CAREFUL! GOD WATCHES YOU!". I feel like this statement is designed (by you?) to scare people, almost like it's some sort of threat. But most of christianity is about just that, scaring people into submission to the church (& god), making them terrified of going to Hell, etc. Okay, this is a wee bit of a drunken rant, so you should probably just ignore this post. But even drunklen rants have at least a bit of truth to them!. Nevermind .. just ignore this rant, lol

I would have to say i am a "master" at the social skill of pissing people off ( i don't even have to try - it just comes naturally to me!) :D ;)

Last edited:
Talking to a wall..::p:

Uhm, I think it will be.. Ordering a pizza and get it from the door.

Oh well, I think it will be talking to my family/girlfriend. I trust these people so well that I practically can sing without thinking around them. And sing in their showers.

Only when it's friends or strangers, I'm nervous.