The plus side of SP..

Johno

I was just thinking about the positives of having SP.......I came up with a few, as follows..... More caring, loving, sensitive, stubborn, perceptive, aware, mostly right, intelligent (mostly), unique, articulate, nice, patient, good listener, spatial awareness, ability to read body language, a good friend to most, the kinda people you want to know, etc..... Think about it....

Paahi

Yeah I totally agree! I guess it can be a good thing sometimes. But the negatives probably outweigh the positives?

Silvox Black

I would not say that there are "positives" to SP, however I would say that it does make us more emotionally aware as well as empathetic. Whether or not it brings higher intelligence can be debated, but I understand what you are trying to say. I would agree that there are beneficial qualities that SP leaves us.

lunaticbinge

How so? I would enjoy hearing your take on the matter.

My social phobia doesn't make me have any of these other qualities. It's just a disability that keeps me from doing what I want to do. I don't know, sometimes I think I might be a sociopath because of how selfish and uncaring I am.

KiaKaha

Banned
This is what I was trying to say with a thread I started the other day. Although I dont think I made myself particularly clear judging by a few responses. I agree that there may be some positives, but I dont think people may notice them due to the anxiety/shyness that we all face.

Hmmm...with eyes to the ground avoiding stranger's glares, SP people avoid more doggy donuts and find more money and other lost stuff?? :D

Johno

This is what I was trying to say with a thread I started the other day. Although I dont think I made myself particularly clear judging by a few responses. I agree that there may be some positives, but I dont think people may notice them due to the anxiety/shyness that we all face.

I agree that the anxiety/shyness mostly dulls our awareness of the positives of having SP. However, following a decent treatment program, maybe some of you will see there is light on the other side.....I suggest first stop, see your local doctor (GP)... My improvement (not cure) came from Aropax (40mg), a workshop and group therapy mostly covering CBT.... Also lots of homework (regarding CBT)...ETC

EscapeArtist

I think there are tons of positive sides to SA. But It's hard to compare when you have not been without SA. I cannot say that I would not be as truthful, because I would not know.

I feel as if SA gives the gifts of greater awareness, which comes with our sensitivity, one of the most valuable things. Awareness makes us more in tune with our bodies. We are able to feel the little things that bother us, both physically and mentally. As long as one knows of it, one can change it.

We seem to be a lot more in tune with our emotional selves, as well. I suspect because we have had time to introspect a lot more than one would if constantly surrounded by a group of friends.

We seem to be misled less often, because we are naturally unsure, we must find proof, and this often leads us to valuing truth more than the average society-getter. I find a lot of SAs seem to have a deep connection to simplicity or nature, because of all of these factors put together. Nature is a healer, and I think those who learn to value it because of the solitude, truth, simplicity and balance (probably attracted mainly by the peace) are lucky. We seem to be led there more often.

I posted this in a similar thread but I think the best thing that comes from SA is the self improvement we are forced to go through when we heal from SA. We have to learn to really not care what others think about us, at all, normally because we are extremely sensitive. (Like exposure therapy, I know a LOT of people who would fear some of the things suggested in exposure therapy. Most people who don't even have SA. And yet we overcome these minor fears that the general population still has).

Because we are outcasts we learn to develop individual opinions and identities as well.

philly2bits

I hate getting into personal dramas, so being free of relationships is good in that regards. Other then that I see no upside to having SA.

My social phobia doesn't make me have any of these other qualities. It's just a disability that keeps me from doing what I want to do. I don't know, sometimes I think I might be a sociopath because of how selfish and uncaring I am.

I agree with you there. It's more a disability and a hindrance then anything else. Any positive traits attributed to SA could easily have been there the whole time. It does sound doom and gloom to think about it that way and not see any positives but years of stagnated progress and depression will do that.

philly2bits

I once made this exact same thread.

Thread topics get repeated all the time here. Don't feel bad if someone made a topic instead of replying to yours. Sometimes people don't feel like searching and if they do find a topic the last post may have been a few days ago (or longer) and they may feel odd about posting anything after such a long time.

lunaticbinge

Thread topics get repeated all the time here. Don't feel bad if someone made a topic instead of replying to yours. Sometimes people don't feel like searching and if they do find a topic the last post may have been a few days ago (or longer) and they may feel odd about posting anything after such a long time.

Always good to get some fresh perspective too.

arsenalwa

Yeah I know. I wouldn't feel bad, I was just like saying. And anyway vj just revived my old thread when he read that and now both threads are right near each other at the front page :D

I think without social phobia I might have mannerisms that I (in my current state of mind/life/dimension) despise in others. Then again, if I wouldn't have had social phobia, I might have found myself how I am now despicable. :3

I dunno, for the most part I like how I am, so that's a good thing about it I guess.

MaliceInWickedland

Very much agreed. I noticed that I've become more perceptive to the world around me and I have more compassion ad respect for others. I was very quick to judge people before my SA but since I've had it I've learned not to judge others after being treated like an insect rather than a human being by people who haven't even taken the time of day to get to know me. I also noticed that I'm not bullied as much since I'm so aloof and pretty much invisible to others, except when my facial muscles tense up and I look like I'm about to kill someone ::p: