The magic of public transportation

Capsaicin

Have you ever considered an exposure exercise like taking the bus to work and seeing who you can strike up a conversation with or who wants to talk to you? It's something I'm considering doing... I could use a change of pace.

An exposure exercise is a good idea within the context of what would be normal, so if where you live, people on the bus normally strike up conversations and chat, then try it - if they don't then you're risking coming off as strange or annoying

SoScared

I do almost daily exposure practice on buses but not in the context that you mention. I have in the past still to a degree, experience hypervigilance.

On buses I use the noting word ‘commuter, commuter’ when anybody boards or alights or basically risks coming to my awareness I will say the noting words to myself. By saying the noting word and diminishing my attention into the noting word the chances of gaze being drawn to my fellow passengers is significantly reduced.

This basic Vipassana Meditation technique is very effective and over time such continuous practice becomes second nature and allows for a pleasant anxiety free journey.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Have you ever considered an exposure exercise like taking the bus to work and seeing who you can strike up a conversation with or who wants to talk to you? It's something I'm considering doing... I could use a change of pace.

Yeah, I tried that once. Ended up with a stalker. I suppose it was a change of pace...

MollyBeGood

I just took a cab for the first time in yrs-does that count? Anyways I was so happy when the cabby was not social at all-gave him a big tip LoL it's funny when I am around someone who is more quiet than me I end up talking more and seeming social, something about two quiet people that seems so odd I have to break the silence.

Last edited: