The great internet

SelfHater

Back in my worst days the internet was not yet around. I cant help but to think that if I could have accessed a site like this how much help that would have been for me. How ever with all the fake stuff like Facebook would have it been worst? Do you guys think it is better now or years ago?

jonas89

I think Im definitely better now then a few years back, because I have gained a lot of knowledge through me therapist and of course SPW so I know what Im doing wrong and how I can fix it or some of it.
As far with social networks like FB I don't thing it affects my SAD problem much, as for that Im really young and I have had a Fb account couple of years before the anxiety and and panic disorder started to involve. So I haven't noticed if social networking have made any difference to me as it have always been around while I struggle much or not.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Definitely better. The net provides a lot of options that did not exist before, and you can choose to opt out of any of them. You can even choose to opt out of fakery on facebook and use it productively.

SelfHater

I apologize, I should have done a search first. I see there was a similar thread already started.

I admit for the info you can now get it would have been better for me to know that I was not the freak I thought I was. Could have possibly found a similar girl to date from my area. I always wanted to date girls from other schools anyhow so if things went wrong I would not have to see them everyday at school.

However the gossip and head games were bad enough at school. Not sure how I would have been able to handle more games on Facebook. Internet is 24/7. Thanks to the internet even long distance relationships could backfire on you. Worry about people emailing embarrassing stuff, info, picture ect.

Aletheia

on the internet no one knows you're a dog

I admit for the info you can now get it would have been better for me to know that I was not the freak I thought I was.

The internet gives you access to a MUCH wider pool of people, so you're much more likely to find people like you, no matter how rare they are. And it lowers the barrier to getting to know them because it's anonymous.

I wish I'd found a site like this (and indeed, had access to the then non-existent web in my teens and early twenties). It would have made me feel much less alone and much less of a freak, and may have given me the confidence to be myself rather than relentlessly comparing myself to other people. Maybe it would have eased the constant self-flagellation.

However the gossip and head games were bad enough at school. Not sure how I would have been able to handle more games on Facebook.

I don't go near Facebook these days.

coyote

Not sure how I would have been able to handle more games on Facebook.

apparently, if you sell enough virtual corn on the black market, you can hire a ninja to assassinate your neighbor's goat with a magic rocket launcher

SelfHater

apparently, if you sell enough virtual corn on the black market, you can hire a ninja to assassinate your neighbor's goat with a magic rocket launcher

Yeah facebook games sure are a waste if you put it that way.

Seriously though it has been in the news that people have decided to act on negative stuff that was posted on facebook, web chat, ect.

Perhaps it may have helped a bit, not sure how much though as even 10-15 yrs ago i was well set in my ways. But at least the possibility would have existed to improve.

I get many good ideas from socialphobiaworld, and also by googling similar stuff (often prompted by a spw post or thread). And over time i feel spw is helping my quest to ever-so-slowly progress/improve.

lonely_drummer

Well, it really depends on the outlook. I thinks it's better now because I use it to my advantage. I'm a knowledgoholic so I use it to expand my mind and also the existence of this site makes today better. But then there's the people who use it for all the wrong reasons, so they should probably join an Internet Anonymous group that builds a time machine and send them back to the 1800s

LOL! I put my FB on hiatus when I realized I was playing Mafia Wars way too much and that it was starting to take over my life. I had to get on at certain times to collect guns and ammo and special rewards. One day I just said, "**** it!" and deleted the game from my apps. I feel like a weight has been lifted. I no longer have to be a thug. I don't have to run fish fighting rings in Bangkok or make Don Giovanni's day in Italy. I can just be me, boring old law-abiding me in Illinois. :D