The day I understood.......

Johno

this may sound really gay and corny, however it is a true account of my subjective experience to a situation 2 weeks ago. I was meant to meet my friend at a certain time at a certain place.... It didn't work out to well, I missed my mate and was just sitting and waiting for him to appear. I had waited long enough and decided to walk up the street whilst rather furious that things aren't working out. I was really angry that I was stood up until I stumbled across a man with no legs smoking away in front of the hospital... There were many other people (nurses, patients, etc) having a smoke in front of the hospital... A new law had been introduced that only allowed smoking within a /////// arc of the hospital..... At this exact moment of seeing the man with no legs smoking, my mood changed to a gratefull one............. I was ashamed of myself for my attitude. What did I have to complain about??? Nothing, was the answer. I consider this a spiritual intervention ( at least that is how it felt, Shoooooosh)....

inconspicuous name

without trying to cause offence, i'd hardly count seeing a man outside a hospital with no legs spiritual intervention....... a hospital is probably the most likely place to see a man with no legs.
then if you take into account the limited activies that you can do if you have no legs i'd probably smoke too if i was him.

while i'd say it's good that this made you re-consider your position and realise others always have it worse off than yourself, seems more like a logical series of incidents rather than spiritual intervention.

but, interpret it whichever way you choose i suppose :)

Johno

this may sound really gay and corny, however it is a true account of my subjective experience to a situation 2 weeks ago. I was meant to meet my friend at a certain time at a certain place.... It didn't work out to well, I missed my mate and was just sitting and waiting for him to appear. I had waited long enough and decided to walk up the street whilst rather furious that things aren't working out. I was really angry that I was stood up until I stumbled across a man with no legs smoking away in front of the hospital... There were many other people (nurses, patients, etc) having a smoke in front of the hospital... A new law had been introduced that only allowed smoking within a /////// arc of the hospital..... At this exact moment of seeing the man with no legs smoking, my mood changed to a gratefull one............. I was ashamed of myself for my attitude. What did I have to complain about??? Nothing, was the answer. I consider this a spiritual intervention ( at least that is how it felt, Shoooooosh)....

mmmm

I wonder what sort of person that man was. I mean, for all we know, he could be a charismatic life-of-the-party type who would feel sorry for us if he knew what our struggles were. If I could choose my handicap, I wonder if I would choose SA? I wonder if that man would choose for his legs to grow back if a side effect for that sort of operation would be SA. I wonder...

Johno

without trying to cause offence, i'd hardly count seeing a man outside a hospital with no legs spiritual intervention....... a hospital is probably the most likely place to see a man with no legs.
then if you take into account the limited activies that you can do if you have no legs i'd probably smoke too if i was him.

while i'd say it's good that this made you re-consider your position and realise others always have it worse off than yourself, seems more like a logical series of incidents rather than spiritual intervention.

but, interpret it whichever way you choose i suppose :)

I get your point....But it wasn't so much seeing the man, it was more a case of becomimng extremely aware of how trivial my problems really were (in the greater context of things) at that point in my life.... This intervention and acknowledgement was instantaneous.

Kiwong

I call it getting perspective on things.

I recently read about the fall of Stalingrad, how that of the 100,000 german soldiers taken prisoner, only 6000 survived the war. In comparison to those 94,000 I know how lucky I am.

JamesSmith

Yeah, some people have it worse than us, but as for me that doesn't make anything easier. I still fell depressed and lonely a lot, and knowing that someone else has no legs doesn't stop me from feeling lonely. Loneliness is a natural human emotion, and can't always be ignored. The truth is we have it worse than most people even if some people have it worse than us. I know that's a negative way of looking at things, but it's the truth.

Johno

I call it getting perspective on things.

I recently read about the fall of Stalingrad, how that of the 100,000 german soldiers taken prisoner, only 6000 survived the war. In comparison to those 94,000 I know how lucky I am.

Well I guess I am lucky too.... My mother survived the Battle of Britain as a young girllll.... Re: Stalingrad ... have you seen the movie Enemy at the gates?? I recommend it... Enemy at the Gates (2001) - IMDb

Johno

Yeah, some people have it worse than us, but as for me that doesn't make anything easier. I still fell depressed and lonely a lot, and knowing that someone else has no legs doesn't stop me from feeling lonely. Loneliness is a natural human emotion, and can't always be ignored. The truth is we have it worse than most people even if some people have it worse than us. I know that's a negative way of looking at things, but it's the truth.

knowing that someone else has no legs doesn't stop me from feeling lonely.

But I bet it makes you appreciate those legs that you have...
The way you feel is your choice... to an extent... There are positives in being a loner.... Just ask Elizabeth Taylor....LOLLL...I am not married, yet all of my siblings are... I love my nieces and nephews, but at the same time realise how, in some respects I am a very lucky guy....

If you feel Lonely then first love yourself indiscriminately until you feel sick....

Then just pursue your hobbies, always internally loving yourself..... You'll be amazed at what can happen..................

JamesSmith

There are positives in being a loner

Yes, but there are more positives in not being a loner. People need other people, it's been like that for years and won't change any time soon. It's not good being a loner for years at a time, it's bad for your spiritual health. I think what you are trying to do is find a positive in a negative so you feel better about yourself. That's okay, but being a loner is not something that just be accepted. If you do, you are basically denying the way you are programmed. Loners always have lower quality of lives than non-loners, we have less job opportunities and personal relationships which are the two most important things for people to live decent lives.

And please don't compare us to Elizabeth Taylor or any other pro actor or pro athlete, I will never feel sorry for stars like that make the big bucks. Let me guess, she claims to be a loner? lol, yeah right. Elizabeth Taylor had 8 marriages! I've had one g/f that lasted 2 months and you are trying to compare me to some actress that is rich, successful, everyone knows her, and has had relationships with the opposite sex throughout her entire life? Just....no. Don't do that. The comparison between us and her is a joke.