The blush and stutter

Agent_Violet

just wanted to share a little thing that happened to me today...

I went to get some green tea at the coffee/tea shop down the street. Today happens to be a dress up day for me...heels,skirt,nice shirt. So I'm waiting for my tea when a woman walks up to me and starts giving profuse compliments on my bag and my shoes.

Immediately I feel the blush creeping into my skin...my whole face,ears,neck,chest. And I can't even look this kind person in the eye when i stutter thank you.

It really made me sad that I couldnt smile confidently and say thank you in a warm,receptive way.

Then when I was walking to my car, a man caught up to me and said, "I saw you inside and wanted to tell you that you are really beautiful, i hope you have a great afternoon!"

Same thing...freaking blush and stutter. I even stumbled a bit in my stupid shoes to get away from him.

I feel like i just took a giant leap in the wrong direction.

DeadmanWalking

It's not a leap in the wrong direction Agent V.:). Honestly, that was really cute of you;). Even if you didn't do the standard smile and "thank you", the fact that you blushed and stuttered showed that you took their words to heart and appreciate them. There are many different ways to show gratitude, so don't be bound by just one. Just, next time, if you really feel like you want to show appreciation, nod and (if you're up to it) smile.

Phoenixx

Awww, so much attention in one day. That would make me uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I like getting compliments and I do appreciate them, but me being the nervous person that I am I would've been the same way. Even when I don't get compliments, I still blush and stutter a lot whenever I'm trying to speak to someone.

I know it's hard to not kick yourself for reacting the way you did. I constantly go over how I spoke, how I acted, how I probably came across, how I probably looked, etc. etc. The best thing you can do though is appreciate the compliments you received today. Not everyone takes time out of their day to speak their mind and compliment a random person. Plus, you got it from two people. That's something to be happy about. :)

Srijita52

Awww, so much attention in one day. That would make me uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I like getting compliments and I do appreciate them, but me being the nervous person that I am I would've been the same way. Even when I don't get compliments, I still blush and stutter a lot whenever I'm trying to speak to someone.

I know it's hard to not kick yourself for reacting the way you did. I constantly go over how I spoke, how I acted, how I probably came across, how I probably looked, etc. etc. The best thing you can do though is appreciate the compliments you received today. Not everyone takes time out of their day to speak their mind and compliment a random person. Plus, you got it from two people. That's something to be happy about. :)
I agree completely, try not to beat yourself too much Agent V.

I do the same thing. Something so small as a friend saying hi to me with make my face RED. Also I can never seem to call people by their first names. It's always "Hey" or "Hi".

Reaching-Zen

My life story LOL. I spend alot of my life avoiding blushing or situations that may put me in the blushing hot seat.

I've been posting in the blushing forum lately. Posted some of my thoughts there tonight.... ;)

LOOK

You know, (please take this the right way), if you didn't focus so much on you, and focussed more on others, two things would have happened. One, you'd have looked at the person to see if they were really being sincere, or if they were an acquaintance who was being funny, or if they were a lowlife who was trying to distract your attention for some nefarious reason. And second, you wouldn't have blushed.

But then, always focussing on ourselves is the problem, isn't it. I have the same problem that you have. And what's worse, I see other peoples' reactions to me in their faces, (it's like an awkward, uncomfortable gaze, as if they're thinking, "What's going on here?") But sometimes, just sometimes, when I can force my mind to actually turn its attention towards what the other person is actually saying, and actually LISTEN to them, I see a different expression altogether. And it's wonderful to see it.

Bottom line: LOOK at other people, not at yourself.

Oh, by the way, I think you probably have a better reason to blush than the rest of us. If strange men are approaching you just to tell you how beautiful you are, it's little wonder that you're a tad self-conscious! :)

Last edited:

Sacrament

One of the tricks is to not let it bother you too much. If you do, you'll fear it, and it'll keep happening. Shift your focus to the compliments you got, and give less importance to your specific reactions.

Maybe you need some hypnotic audio or subliminal audio playing all the time. I have one classmate he never talk to any girls until the age of 16. Here in Asia our school class will divide according to grades. Good student with good grades will be in good class vice versa.
My friend start to change when he mix arround with his naughty classmates who chasing girl all around. Sometimes we just need the environment to change us. Maybe you should date guy more.

laure15

This is why I don't doll myself up in public and try to dress low-key. A good shirt with some pants and a sweater is what I usually wear outside. I want to blend in and not draw attention to myself, because if people started paying attention to me, I fear I will break down.