that critic voice

PheonixBomb

The one that always says "I'm weird" or "she'd never talk to me", "she thinks I'm ugly". **** I hate that stupid voice. I beat myself up constantly in my head...:sad:

Anyone else have it? What helps?
I was getting into elevator with a girl who lives on my floor, and I could tell she wanted to get the **** out of my vicinity ASAP. Meh...

Kiwong

Well see if there's another voice in there, a helpful voice. A voice of encouragement, advice, logic. Like an out of tune radio you probably need to tune to that frequency

Nooms

I have a voice like that in my head all the time, and I cannot give you much advice about suppressing it other than keeping yourself occupied (but then that does not apply to situations like these, I'm just thinking of the times where I'm alone and I think of social encounters I've had).

Anyway, what I can say from my experiences in elevators: everyone feels awkward, most would love to get out of that tiny space as soon as possible. So maybe keep that in mind next time you step into an elevator. That, or take the stairs! (always so peaceful and quiet in those staircases, mmmmhm).

:)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
There was a time not so far away when I would wake up every morning thinking "I'm so mediocre". I finally got fired and then spent the next 6 months (on employment insurance) trying to do things that would make me feel good about myself. The voice switched to something more positive.

Well see if there's another voice in there, a helpful voice. A voice of encouragement, advice, logic. Like an out of tune radio you probably need to tune to that frequency

Good advice

jaim38

Definitely. Today I had an oral presentation in front of 30+ people and nervous as h*ll! I have this negative voice that tells me "you're nervous, you're shy, your dress looks bad, blah blah". It just makes me even more nervous. So I try to tell myself, "youre not nervous, you're calm and stable." It sorta helped, but once I actually got on there, anxiety took me over like h*ll. But in the long run, being positive is the greatest weapon against negativity.

PheonixBomb

Do you talk back to that voice? Dwell on what it says?

Sometimes (and this will probably be weird) I talk back to it in my head like its one of those people that likes to poke fun at everyone.

Other times, yes, I dwell on it, if not for hours, then for days.

Capsaicin

Sometimes (and this will probably be weird) I talk back to it in my head like its one of those people that likes to poke fun at everyone.

Other times, yes, I dwell on it, if not for hours, then for days.

That's probably making it worse, honestly. I was able to stop a large portion of it just by not entering that negative feedback loop in the first place. I can't control the fact that those criticisms are there in the first place, but I can control how much mental energy I willingly devote to them. It still exists, but it doesn't rule my thoughts.

BlueWeepingRose

Yes I tend to get that voice in my head whenever I'm trying to talk to others. Whenever I have bad anxiety it tends to happen quite a bit. When I do meet new people, I always get bad thoughts about myself, that they won't like me, that I'm weird or stupid, they'll make fun of me, I'm a weak person and the list goes on and on.

Wish I could give you advice on what to do, cause I dwell on things just the same. Right now I'm just trying to learn to love myself and try to over think the entire situation before I continue to beat myself up about it.