Terrified of my test results.

SickCycleCarousel

I had to get my blood drawn yesterday because I am having problems with my hormones.
It has been five years since the last time I had sex. We always used a condom and it was always really brief (never longer than 20-30 seconds lol). But since it's been over I have been terrified of the possibility that I may have an STD or HIV. I will sometimes wipe too hard and too much and I will cut myself. It won't bother me until the next time I pee and when I do I freak out thinking I have herpes because it burns. I've looked it and I do not exhibit any of the symptoms of herpes but I cannot stop freaking out.
I also have to have a urine analysis and I have a yeast infection and that's making me freak out. I keep thinking it's going to show up in my eyes and mouth and scalp; I am itching everywhere.
I am working myself into a panic attack over this. One part of me knows I don't have an STD but my OCD-irrational side keeps telling me I do have it. I am terrified of every itch and bump. I think I shall die if they call me back and tell me I have an STD or HIV. I cannot talk to my mum because I am so embarrassed. I don't know what to do. I'm going to be freaking out for the next six/eight weeks.

/dies.

Feathers

Many STDs and HIV can be treated with meds these days..

I think it's a good thing you got tested.

A friend of mine who is fairly promiscuous (though she says she 'chooses her men well') got tested and she didn't have anything...

A lot od people have yeast infections.. I think those can get treated too, read up on it.. Maybe changing your nutrition a bit could help too (read up on that too, I think it's good to stay away from sugar)..

The itches can also be allergy to food or stress or soap/laundry detergents or fabric softeners or such.. See if you made any recent changes..

Also read up on OCD, there are things that can help, maybe try to do some CBT... or EFT or TAT...

Emma03

Are you specifically getting tested for HIV/STDs? Because if you don't ask for the test, they won't do it automatically. Also, 6-8 weeks sounds pretty long for a blood test result...it should only be a week or two at most I think.

I don't think you have to be so worried about having an STD (I know it's hard though!) You said you always wore condoms, which greatly reduces your risk of getting an STD, HIV included. Herpes can be spread even when a condom is used...but nothing you said particularly suggests this. I'm not sure what you are getting tested for, but if this will continue to bother you, get a full spectrum of tests (HIV, chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis,) to put your mind at ease. There is no screening test for Herpes...usually a sore has to be present for a culture to be done. There is a blood test, but there are a few different reasons doctors don't like to use that, especially if symptoms aren't present.

I'm not an expert, but did some research about this when I was paranoid (found out that an ex was not who I thought he was). I completely understand your worry though... good luck!

Emma03

I just wanted to clarify what I said about STDs and condoms...herpes can be transmitted even if a condom is used, but the risk is definitely reduced. Wearing condoms also greatly reduces the chance you will get other STDs (but there is always some risk..)

Felgen

HIV is transfered almost exclusively by anal sex. Apart from HIV, most STDs are curable.

coyote

In the 18-24 year old age group in the US, you have a statistically greater chance of being killed in a car accident on the way to the doctor's office than you do of contracting HIV - particularly considering you haven't had sex in 5 years.

Try not to worry about things you have no control of.

Emma03

HIV is transfered almost exclusively by anal sex.

This isn't true. You can also get HIV from vaginal sex, even though the risk of getting HIV from unprotected anal sex is higher than unprotected vaginal sex. There still is risk though.

Felgen

This isn't true. You can also get HIV from vaginal sex, even though the risk of getting HIV from unprotected anal sex is higher than unprotected vaginal sex. There still is risk though.

I never said that HIV couldn't be transfered via vaginal sex, but it isn't common. It can also be transfered via oral sex or even by kissing. However, anal sex is much more risky when it comes to HIV, hence the myth that HIV is caused by homosexuality.

Emma03

I never said that HIV couldn't be transfered via vaginal sex, but it isn't common. It can also be transfered via oral sex or even by kissing. However, anal sex is much more risky when it comes to HIV, hence the myth that HIV is caused by homosexuality.

I don't think there are any studies suggesting that HIV has been transmitted through kissing. I did want to clarify about vaginal sex, because sometimes people do get the impression that anal sex is the only route of transmission.

This is a good link, if anybody is interested.
Basic Information about HIV and AIDS | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

SickCycleCarousel

I'm getting tested because my period has lasted three years almost non-stop. (I've been off for a couple weeks but I'm expecting it any day now).
I have always been deathly afraid of contracting herpes. I don't want to be a statistic. But as it has been five years and as I have not shown any symptoms thus far I really hope I am in the clear. (I've gotten boils there before but I've gotten them since I was 12 and I definitely lost my virginity when I was 20... but I am still worried..)

What I am really freaking myself out about right now is the yeast infection. I can't wash my hands enough. I don't want to touch food that's being served to anyone else. I'm driving myself crazy thinking it's in my mouth because I licked my finger after wiping (yes I washed my hands!) the day before I found out I had the infection and now my mouth feels weird and my spit is bubbly.
I've looked up yeast infections of the mouth (Thrush) and my mouth definitely looks normal but...I'm losing my mind over this.
I am treating the infection...only five days to go. I hope I don't lose my head by then. :S I just want to be normal again.

Thanks for listening. Writing this out is really a big help.

Emma03

What I am really freaking myself out about right now is the yeast infection. I can't wash my hands enough. I don't want to touch food that's being served to anyone else. I'm driving myself crazy thinking it's in my mouth because I licked my finger after wiping (yes I washed my hands!) the day before I found out I had the infection and now my mouth feels weird and my spit is bubbly.
I've looked up yeast infections of the mouth (Thrush) and my mouth definitely looks normal but...I'm losing my mind over this.
I am treating the infection...only five days to go. I hope I don't lose my head by then. :S I just want to be normal again.

I don't think you have to worry about transferring the yeast infection to your mouth. It's not likely that you will do that. And, if you do have a yeast infection...it's not a big deal! You will either get some cream or a pill to clear it up.

Since you are getting hormonal tests done because of your period, I would double check to make sure they are doing whatever STD testing you wanted as well.

Feathers

Well, my doctor said everyone has Candida, just to a smaller extent.. (?)
Another site says 9 out of 10 women get it in a larger amount some time in their lives (?)
If your immune system is disrupted due to stress or nutritional/environmental causes, then you may get more... Do research it.. Can you talk to your Doc about it?
Ideally, you'd manage to find a way to relax.. as it helps you heal better too..

Have you talked to other family members or people who live with you yet? Maybe they have it too, and you don't have to worry about it??

What is your nutrition like? Have you eaten a lot of sweet food/white bread/pastries and such? Have you tried to limit it yet?
Also might want clothes and underwear made of natural fibres and so your skin can 'breathe'..

I can relate to not wanting to infect others.. Can you wear gloves in certain situations maybe?

That's odd about boils, have you asked the doc/s or people who tested you about it?

I've heard of someone else who also had such continuous periods, not sure what the cause was, hope they find it.. Maybe it's a hormonal imbalance or something like that?
Have they looked for any cysts or such too? (sometimes they can be harmless and still cause some problems..)

Hoping that things calm down soon!!

SickCycleCarousel

I don't think you have to worry about transferring the yeast infection to your mouth. It's not likely that you will do that. And, if you do have a yeast infection...it's not a big deal! You will either get some cream or a pill to clear it up.

Since you are getting hormonal tests done because of your period, I would double check to make sure they are doing whatever STD testing you wanted as well.

This isn't my first infection so I don't know why I am freaking out. Probably to get my mind off the blood test results. I don't know. I didn't ask for them to check for STDs I just assumed they would. I haven't had a medical exam since I was a kid, how am I supposed to know what they check for these days? lol

Huh, no words. Quite bit amount of information. I'll just duck out the door that I came in.

SickCycleCarousel, like the avatar. Forget which video that's from.

Emma03

This isn't my first infection so I don't know why I am freaking out. Probably to get my mind off the blood test results. I don't know. I didn't ask for them to check for STDs I just assumed they would. I haven't had a medical exam since I was a kid, how am I supposed to know what they check for these days? lol

HIV/STD testing is not usually part of routine blood testing. You could always call your doc to find out.