Terrified of meeting with tutor tomorrow morning

catrin87

Hi all. I am just looking for some words of comfort with regards to something I have to do tomorrow. My university tutor has emailed me requesting I come and see her tomorrow for a meeting to discuss my 'work and progress on the course' after I didn't turn up to an assessment presentation and therefore failed my most recent module.

I am basically completely unknown on my course despite this being my 3rd year... the tutors don't know who I am and neither do my fellow coursemates and all because of my SA. So you can understand how much this meeting is terrifying me!! I am pretty sure she is going to say that I should leave and start my 3rd year again next year. I am worried I will burst into tears, have a panic attack, or just sit there with a red face trembling. I really want to be able to tell her what it is like for me but I know I won't be able to find the words. I am so so so so scared and normally this is the exact type of situation I would run a mile from but this time I actually don't have that option. Can anyone offer any words of encouragement? pleeeaase help me!! :(

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I know how you feel, and I have no advice to give you about how to not cry or turn red and have a panic attack. But just remember that whatever happen, it's ok and you are doing your best. If these things happen, it will just be easier for your tutor to get what the problem is. And don't beat yourself up afterwards, the fact that you have trouble controlling your emotions, that you have anxiety and that you are over-sensitive doesn't make you a bad person or a loser in any way.

Talk to tutor, explain social anxiety (in a letter which you present to her if need be.. or an e-mail beforehand) talk to disability service, get concessions.[/B]

I agree with that. They might suggest a writing composition or presentation in front of the teacher only instead of the entire class, things like that.

So just remember that the purpose of this meeting is to help you, try to breath and bring a letter in case you're speechless. And come back to tell us how it went if you don't mind. :thumbup:

lonelee1

Hi all. I am just looking for some words of comfort with regards to something I have to do tomorrow. My university tutor has emailed me requesting I come and see her tomorrow for a meeting to discuss my 'work and progress on the course' after I didn't turn up to an assessment presentation and therefore failed my most recent module.

I am basically completely unknown on my course despite this being my 3rd year... the tutors don't know who I am and neither do my fellow coursemates and all because of my SA. So you can understand how much this meeting is terrifying me!! I am pretty sure she is going to say that I should leave and start my 3rd year again next year. I am worried I will burst into tears, have a panic attack, or just sit there with a red face trembling. I really want to be able to tell her what it is like for me but I know I won't be able to find the words. I am so so so so scared and normally this is the exact type of situation I would run a mile from but this time I actually don't have that option. Can anyone offer any words of encouragement? pleeeaase help me!! :(

just breathe. she's there to help you. i used to have the same kind of encounters during my college career. just stay calm and be honest with her and it will be ok.

catrin87

It wasn't so bad in the end! I took a double dose of propranolol before I went (I don't condone this behaviour though) so I was feeling quite calm and my tutor was actually really approachable and nice about everything. We have agreed an action plan to get me back on course and she said that I shouldn't feel forced into any situation which I think isn't good for me but at the same time I am going to struggle if I continue the way I am (not involving myself in any workshops/seminars etc) Overall I am feeling positive and the whole thing has given me a much-needed little confidence boost. Onwards and upwards!