Terrified of getting close to people

Emmaa

I'm very similar, although I do have a few close friends that I can talk to the best but I think that's because I've known them since I was really small.
For me, I think the problem is that I don't want people to depend one me. I don't want to be the person that people come to when they have a problem because I just know that I would not be able to help them. Also, I have the problem that I don't want people to know me too well, even my best friends don't know everything about me, although they think they do. The real me seems to be hidden behind loads of layers!

StrandedTangle

"The real me seems to be hidden behind loads of layers!"

I can so relate to what you are saying; especially about the layers. I used to think I had grown a shield and then armor. Now it is more like many layers of armor, just to survive and function.
I have great difficulty and fear of getting close to people. I feel so different that I can't relate. I am way overly complex and I'm afraid I find most people shallow. I know that is judgmental of me, but it is the best way I can relate here, partly why I cannot relate in the scary world.

Stranded.

TheRadicalAnxiousLefty

There are certain people I can interact with on a superficial level, but I have a very strong aversion to forming deep, connective friendships with others.

I assume, automatically, that the longer they know me, the longer they spend time with me, the more they will see the "real" me.

takethislife

I think it's more comfortable with people you don't know as well because they don't know you either. They don't know who you really are so you can fool them until some point.