tall members only!

dottie

do you find being tall exacerbates your anxiety?

yes or yes? sometimes i feel like people expect me to have leadership qualities, like they expect me to be take-charge and confident because i'm tall. are they disappointed when they realize i am not as confident as they expected? there is also the staring factor. YES LOOK AT ME I STAND OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!!! it is rare when i see women as tall as me so whenever i do i want to give them the tall peoples' secret honor handshake. haha i'm a nerd but whatevs. these are the things that go through my mind.

cricket

i'm not super tall or anything, but i'm 5'8, and i'm taller than most girls that i know, and probably every girl that i work with.

for me the problem is i feel like some kind of ogre, and when i'm around shorter girls it makes me feel less feminine. since i'm not very comfortable around girls anyway, it definitely does make me anxious.

i hope this doesn't sound too crazy ::p:

EasySkankin

yes or yes? sometimes i feel like people expect me to have leadership qualities, like they expect me to be take-charge and confident because i'm tall. are they disappointed when they realize i am not as confident as they expected? there is also the staring factor. YES LOOK AT ME I STAND OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB!!! it is rare when i see women as tall as me so whenever i do i want to give them the tall peoples' secret honor handshake. haha i'm a nerd but whatevs. these are the things that go through my mind.

Lol... that's funny. I can't relate though, I'm only 5'7'' :cool: Never thought I'd be glad to be short, but you never know! ::p:

Eam

Yes.

It's difficult to be convinced people aren't looking at you when you do, as you put it 'stand out like a sore thumb'. I do wish people wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

It definitely exacerbates my anxiety and I find I'm quick to take up a seat so that my height isn't on show.

Last edited:

Luna1740

I'm 6'3"-6'4" ish and i think that it helps my anxiety, just because I don't really get intimidated by people (now whether that is from the height or not idk)

My height has been known to exacerbate my social anxiety, but I normally enjoy being very tall. I'm learning to love my lanky frame, too.

Pookah

I'm about 6ft tall and a girl so I often feel very awkward as far as my gait and I'm clumsy. Its considered unfeminine. People ask me to get stuff off shelves for them and such. I find it harder to bend too much. Blood rushes to my head. Makes for weird situations.

agoraphobickatie

I'm 5'8 which isn't too tall. But around here, the females are about 5'0" - 5'2"
I feel like a tower!
It doesn't really help when you hear about guys liking petite girls.

I'm too self conscious to wear any heels :( I Love heels!
I'm stuck with sandals and sneakers.

Sometimes I can walk with confidence, sometimes it doesn't cross my mind, and other times I feel like a giant! It depends on the day, really.
But then again, I'm not that tall.. so . . lol.

Now, I'm just rambling ;p

ugh, i'm the exact same!!! i'm around 5'7" and taller than all the girls i know except one.. and most of the guys i know are 5'6-5'10... i don't know why, guys just don't get too tall around here, i guess? it definitely makes me more uncomfortable around the opposite sex....

and ugh! i love heels!!! i have a few really cute wedge heels in my closet that i never wear because i feel like such a giant around other people when i wear them ::(: i wish i could at least be 5'4! haha

agoraphobickatie

Its not only where you're at! The guys here are miniature sized. I haven't seen a 6ft man in quite a while. *Sigh*
I really wouldn't mind dating a man shorter than me, but they just refuse! Its some macho man thing where the female has to be shorter than the male -- or so thats what someone told me, lol.

There are these Alexander McQueen heels that I wanna wear SO BAD. lol

see, i feel really insecure with guys shorter than me =/ i feel like the macho one and i hate it! i avoid shorter guys at all costs... i know it's terrible, and i have nothing against shorter guys, it's my own insecurity that sucks! lol i have this one guy friend that i kind of dated a few years ago who is 6'3 and freakin' gorgeous but he's just all over the place and kind of a 'bad boy' ..i'm like dammit, can't you just straighten your life out so we can be real here!! hahaha :) i've always been completely smitten with him and we've always still talked to eachother even when we had another boyfriend/girlfriend, there's something there, i'm just waiting on him.. haha

and loooooooove alexander mcqueen!!! <3 i have some steve madden wedges that i adore and sit at the front of my closet, i see them every day and i'm just like ...dammit! haha!

edit- and holy crap if i could afford some yves saint laurent platform pumps i would be all over those!!! lol!

EasySkankin

Are you kidding me??.... :eek:

Tall females are hot... those long legs (mmmm). I don't think it's entirely true that guys like petite girls, to be honest I think it's quite the oppsite... there's just so much advertisement and such that say otherwise... but I really don't think it's true.

gsmax5

Yeah. I'm tall so I'm more clumsy and therefore often the center of negative attention. I really hate being in the middle of an airplane row and having to step and fall over everyone when I get out.

spect01

I'm 6' 5" and I'm satisfied with it. Yes I think people assume me to be a leader or something. At times I can feel out of place because everyone else is shorter or there are people my age way shorter. When I am in a store people ask me if I work there or for assistance to get something high up on a shelf. Everyone think I'm an employee of the place. Crazy.

It's hard to get into a small car as well.

Tiercel

I know that anyone posting on here doesn't need another reason to feel awkward, but try not to get too down on yourselves, tall people! Yes, standing out makes it easier for others to see your flaws (whether real or perceived); but it also makes it easier for them to see what's good about you. ;)

Concerning taller men and shorter women, I think that's just something we've come to expect. Just look at other mammals and tell me how many species are sexually dimorphic with males being larger than females. And while it can be difficult to go contrary to thousands of years of evolution and societal preferences, not everyone is locked into those silly notions.

And taller women being unfeminine, ogreish, tower-like, or any other less than flattering adjectives is just plain crap. I've cared for girls who were both shorter and taller than me, and never once did I judge any of them based on their respective heights. Maybe I'm weird, but a woman has qualities much more worthy of respect and admiration than the length of her inseam or the size of her shadow. And if a man can't love you because you're too tall, then he doesn't deserve you.

Having said that, I'll say that I'm 5'11" tall. So neither too tall nor not tall enough. And since I got my username from a male raptor that's physically smaller than a female, maybe that's what I need. I'll start looking for a woman who's at least 6'4" and smarter, stronger, faster, and just plain better than me. Since I seem to have issues with feeling inferior to others, perhaps acknowledging the fact that I'm obviously inferior could be a stress free start to a beautiful relationship.

:D

dottie

see, all the men are saying it doesn't affect their anxiety while the women are saying it does. gender does carry different social expectations in our culture. girls are expected to be more talkative and friendly vs guys who are expected to be more reserved, intimidating. so if you are a tall guy, it serves you well to keep people at bay (easing SA) whereas if you are a tall girl it draws attention as an open invitation to be looked at and talked to (exacerbating SA).

I'm 5'8 which isn't too tall. But around here, the females are about 5'0" - 5'2"
I feel like a tower!
It doesn't really help when you hear about guys liking petite girls.

I'm too self conscious to wear any heels :( I Love heels!
I'm stuck with sandals and sneakers.

Sometimes I can walk with confidence, sometimes it doesn't cross my mind, and other times I feel like a giant! It depends on the day, really.
But then again, I'm not that tall.. so . . lol.

Now, I'm just rambling ;p

haha yes! the reason i started this thread was because i wore heels yesterday (some awesome wood wedges!) and was feeling more self conscious than usual when i went out shopping. it made me at least 6'2" but flats get boring and i want to feel pretty, too, sometimes god damn it.

dottie

i dated a short guy once. i won't do it again. nothing against short people, it's just preference.

Last edited:

Silentknight

I've never felt anxiety because of my height (6'0) but I do feel strange when I think of some of the people I look up to such as band members I idolize or even celebrities if I ever met them I would tower over them lol.

Tiercel

.... so if you are a tall guy, it serves you well to keep people at bay (easing SA) whereas if you are a tall girl it draws attention as an open invitation to be looked at and talked to (exacerbating SA).

I'll try not to talk to tall women anymore. ;)

Uh, then again, one of my problems is that I don't talk to enough women. So I guess I'll just keep being myself?

:D