Super Serious In Groups

ridicule

I have this problem that, in a group of people, I cannot have fun. Well, it's contextual, sometimes it's a problem, and sometimes I'm glad that I have that reaction. Being around people, in particularly groups, always brings out that serious factor in me. I can have fun, but it's mainly just one on one.

Anyone have that problem?

IGotSeoul

Have you fully determined that the seriousness is evoked from being in a group? If so, in what way do you feel that groups draw out your serious side?

I feel I'm much more serious when I'm in a group and there's strangers involved. But if it's a small group of friends I'm usually much more laid back.

ridicule

Have you fully determined that the seriousness is evoked from being in a group? If so, in what way do you feel that groups draw out your serious side?

I feel I'm much more serious when I'm in a group and there's strangers involved. But if it's a small group of friends I'm usually much more laid back.

Not directly from the group, I suppose, but the tone of the group, and not only physical groups, but things like chatrooms cause this too. I'm not in a serious career, so the only reason I would have to be around large groups of people, and enough to hear conversation, is purely leisure. For instance, if I was in a group/chatroom where the people were talking about different sets of congressional policies, economic, domestic, etc. I probably wouldn't have this reaction.

I think it might be the goofiness, come to think of it.

TheSanctuarian

for me it depends on what we are doing as a group. if we are not doing anything in particular then I get easily bored and lose the fun-factor.

Phoenixx

I'm really serious in groups too. Don't get me wrong, I want to have fun, but I'm afraid to have fun with a bunch of people, even if those people are a few good friends. I can only goof around if I'm only with one friend, or if I'm with my family.

ek2611

I feel the same way. It's like I can connect to people at a personal level but in groups I feel like I don't fit in at all.

Phoenixx

what do you mean by "afraid"? what could possibly happen if you have too much fun?
^ I've been teased and mocked most of my life. And because of that, I'm afraid to be more outgoing and just put myself out there more. So in a group, I'm just super serious, quiet, and I hardly ever joke around or anything. I basically just come off as a stiff, boring person. :/