Summer Jobs?

Hello all! First post on here so I guess I'm a newbie :)

I'm a 19-year-old college student and I only recently, within the past two or so years, recognized that my sweating was actually a problem, and realized that I was suffering from hyperhidrosis. I have it nearly everywhere but it's the worst on my hands.

It's that time of year to start scrambling around looking for a summer job. As you can imagine, this is already no easy feat as a college student with limited experience, but it's even more difficult when you have severe hyperhidrosis. I have had temporary office jobs in the past but most of those were gotten through friends and I simply got lucky (it's not going to happen again.) I currently work at my campus library but once again, I got that quite easily because I'm eligible for work study.

Last summer I applied nearly everywhere I could find to no avail and ended up not being able to find anything. I shook it off and came to terms with it but this summer I am really desperate to find something.

The only thing is that I do not want to put myself in a position where I'll be miserable. I know that any job that a college student would most likely be looking for - restaurant server, cashier, etc. - will be very difficult to perform comfortably and successfully with palmar hyperhidrosis.

Not sure if anyone is going to have any ideas but I just figured there was no harm in asking. I've never met anyone with hyperhidrosis and only very recently told my mother about how I've been suffering - but she didn't even know it was an actual disease and didn't seem to take me very seriously.

Anyways, I really am desperate for money. Do you guys have any ideas for part-time, summer employment I could look into? Has anyone been in a similar situation and, if so, what has worked for you?

ukchick

Hi
I completely understand,it's such a difficult situation to be in.
When I was younger I worked in a vets...cleaning cages and assisting the vet(wearing gloves mostly). I then worked in retail but did the stock side so I didn't interact with people that much,this worked well for me.
My daughter,who is 15, is currently doing the same..working in a store on the stock filling side. She's been on Robinul for 6 months and finds an improvement in her hand sweating but it varies day to day.
I would suggest looking at a job that involves wearing gloves ie.food prep,kitchen,deli,cleaning etc or maybe hotel work.
I hope you find something you're comfortable with,life is so hard with HH.
Good luck x

Thanks for the suggestions, ukchick. I really appreciate it. Haven't seen too many open positions for cleaning or hotels or anything like that (most of what I've been seeing is cashier and waitress) but I'll keep my eye out. Thanks again! :)

jaim38 - I would love to volunteer but unfortunately I need the money as I'll be studying abroad next semester and that will involve a lot of extra expenses. I'm only looking for a summer job, anyway, so volunteering in order to secure a future paid position wouldn't really help me. Thanks though! Appreciate the response.

hyp-hi

I used to deliver pizzas during the summers and had no problem with it conflicting with my palmar hh. I suppose any kind of driving job would be ok since you are usually by yourself and don't have to interact with people too much.

Hofmann

Hi everyone, I'm new here and couldn't find a place to introduce myself, so... well, this is me, 18 years old brazillian man with palmar HH who has incredibly solved his problems with Driclor.

@Thread

I know it's kind of a dumb question but... Have you ever tried any of these products people talk about here? Driclor (Worked for me, but be careful, some people are selling non authentic Driclors out there), Odaban and others..?

I had a job when I was 17 which would require me to use the computer and stuff so everything I had to do was to keep a real thin cloth (a bandage usually is a good idea) near my hands so I could dry it almost everytime. Of course this was not the perfect solution but since I did not know those products I had to do it. I'd lose like 2~3 seconds every time to dry my hands, but I'd always make it up to the job by overspeeding my work.
Since I've discovered Driclor my life changed in an incredibly way. It may even sound like I'm a ad guy who works for Driclor but, hell no. I just want people to have a decent life like I do now.

Anyway, if you're going to buy to try, choose the 20ml version. I still haven't found a 75ml which actually works. Even the smell is different and it doesn't work at all.

The best of luck for you!

PS: Also about the job, if you REALLY can't find anything, think about the online jobs around there. They seem to be pretty decent when you live in the USA/Canada or UK.

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
First ever jobs as a student:

Back to hometown. Must have seen a newspaper ad. In a big regency house, meeting 10-15 people to learn to do door-to-door sales carrying a huge, heavy portfolio of paintings. In this town, there were / are plenty of people interested in paintings, and the kind of people who live in exquisite houses / cottages in the countryside, who have Ferraris and Lamborghinis, etc...

I gave up in the second day. Willing to put in the effort although it was very draining. No result at all. I would say now that the customers simply wouldn't like me - a subjective matter I couldn't think through. I based my decision on a scientist at school using basic maths & experiment, rather than emotional. My head was awash with my Cybernetics BSc :bigsmile:

Best ever student job was pizza delivery, which I wouldn't have if it wasn't for my best student mate who recommended it. Using a moped was my idea of mechanics, control systems in the fog and biting cold at night, independently from my boss, with my dream career hope to be on an oil rig, Navy or cruise ship, or train builder. Wondering what kind of social interactivity would be needed in serious technical environments in grease and grit - eg. the Armed Forces. I'll say: impossible chance in a trillion of being independent from people involvement. I do wish someone had told me that pure fact when I was at school. My family could have, and drilled it into me. They've failed me

A vet job would be nigh on 99.9% perfect

I want to work for my garage mechanic who is fully independent from all the franchised chained setups, as they slowly go out of business. I cannot communicate properly with him. I can tell that he and his wife and staff see me as the dysfunctional, gibbering person

ukchick

Thanks for the suggestions, ukchick. I really appreciate it. Haven't seen too many open positions for cleaning or hotels or anything like that (most of what I've been seeing is cashier and waitress) but I'll keep my eye out. Thanks again! :)

jaim38 - I would love to volunteer but unfortunately I need the money as I'll be studying abroad next semester and that will involve a lot of extra expenses. I'm only looking for a summer job, anyway, so volunteering in order to secure a future paid position wouldn't really help me. Thanks though! Appreciate the response.
Might be worth popping into some local hotels and ask about jobs.I've always got jobs that way rather than looking for advertised jobs.
I hope you find something soon..would give your confidence a massive boost x

aries86

I would recommend jobs where you can be as comfortable as possible in the environment. I know that sounds silly but that is what I have always done when looking for a job. Basically you just avoid jobs that require a lot of handshaking. That is what I've always done and it has worked well for me. Of course most jobs require you to shake hands with others or things of that nature at times, many jobs require it very little. I just examine the job descriptions and try to figure out how often I would have to use my hands in ways that are not idea for an HH sufferer.

Englishman

I would recommend jobs where you can be as comfortable as possible in the environment. I know that sounds silly but that is what I have always done when looking for a job. Basically you just avoid jobs that require a lot of handshaking. That is what I've always done and it has worked well for me. Of course most jobs require you to shake hands with others or things of that nature at times, many jobs require it very little. I just examine the job descriptions and try to figure out how often I would have to use my hands in ways that are not idea for an HH sufferer.

It seems so silly that we should do this as HH sufferers, but I know exactly what you mean.. I do this too.

@Diend - Like I've said previously, I will be studying abroad next semester and desperately need to make some money.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Unfortunately it's very difficult to pick and choose jobs that don't require me to use my hands a lot when most of the jobs within my reach involve handling money, food, etc. But I will certainly keep looking :)

Silatuyok

If there is a zoo or some sort of amusement park in your area, I would definitely look into that, as they are always hiring summer workers, and usually in outdoor areas where maybe the HH won't be as noticeable? Also check with landscaping companies, or look into lifeguarding or similar types of jobs.