studying abroad.

jonas89

Okay so I got really keened today when a teacher and a student from my friend country Denmark came to my school today and informing us about studying in the uni over there. I have never been that much of a fan of Denmark to by honest, but what I heard about like living and social life there is really great and how much different the school system works unlike here.
I have really thought about it today whether I should do my university studies there next year or not, the only thing that scars me is the language,, that is probably why I'm not a huge fan of DK I always have find it really hard to speak even tho its obligatory to learn here.

Have anyone done this moved to another country ?? and how did you like it and how did it work out ?

Kinetik

i've always liked studying a broad

LOL, legendary. :D

Anyway, I'm from Europe but went to college in the States for 4 years. I enjoyed it until the anxiety kicked in and forced me to drop out. But I had some good times, I went out more, and I met my first wife there. It changed my life completely, actually.

jonas89

i've always liked studying a broad
HAHA :D
LOL, legendary. :D

Anyway, I'm from Europe but went to college in the States for 4 years. I enjoyed it until the anxiety kicked in and forced me to drop out. But I had some good times, I went out more, and I met my first wife there. It changed my life completely, actually.

That's great,, of course not the anxiety, I have wanted lately to try to go out and live somewhere else for a change, so I was really eager by this today.

TheWickedOne

I have to say, doing a semester abroad in Germany and then moving there for a year after graduation was perhaps the highlight of my life. It was so much fun, if you can do it, I would highly advise you to do so.

jonas89

I have to say, doing a semester abroad in Germany and then moving there for a year after graduation was perhaps the highlight of my life. It was so much fun, if you can do it, I would highly advise you to do so.
yes I have been thinking a lot about it. the more I think about it the more I get excited :p
I wanted to study abroad in europe, but was too scared to go. Still am mi afraid :(

yeah Im not now, but Im sure if I do go, and when that day comes or week before leaving I think I would start to panic a little bit haha

coyote

I studied in the Far East, Middle East, and Central America

1982-1988 - United States Marine Corps

coyote

Okay so I got really keened today when a teacher and a student from my friend country Denmark came to my school today and informing us about studying in the uni over there. I have never been that much of a fan of Denmark to by honest, but what I heard about like living and social life there is really great and how much different the school system works unlike here.
I have really thought about it today whether I should do my university studies there next year or not, the only thing that scars me is the language,, that is probably why I'm not a huge fan of DK I always have find it really hard to speak even tho its obligatory to learn here.

Have anyone done this moved to another country ?? and how did you like it and how did it work out ?

my ex-wife studied a semester at the University of Copenhagen in 1988

she really enjoyed living there

she didn't speak a word of Danish - everyone spoke English

AsTimeBurns

That's something I hope to do in the near-ish future. Probably somewhere like Sweden or Switzerland, where the course is taught in English, but so I can still learn the language to blend in and live there more easily.

Blablabla

I'd love to study abroad somewhere in Europe for a semester or two, unfortunately I have no slightest clue where I would even begin to go about it.

jonas89

my ex-wife studied a semester at the University of Copenhagen in 1988

she really enjoyed living there

she didn't speak a word of Danish - everyone spoke English
The courses that Im thinking about are taught in English and some in Danish.
I'd love to study abroad somewhere in Europe for a semester or two, unfortunately I have no slightest clue where I would even begin to go about it.
I think most uni here in Europe are great just depends what country you like and what you're aiming for, and do a research on it how other people liked it :)

sullyS25

I have studied abroad twice and four months ago I moved from the States to Spain. I would recommend it to anyone....Experiencing the way of life in another country is a lifetime experience and you will remember it forever. Don't let silly things like the language hold you back. It can be frustrating but if you know English I guarantee you will be able to speak that with other people. What you learn in school will be cool but you also learn a lot about life with an experience like this. I know I did and I would recommend it to anyone....Social anxiety or not. I wouldn't think twice about pursuing this if you have the opportunity. Seriously it is such an amazing experience.

PhantomPod

I studied abroad for three months in Sweden and it was the most amazing three months of my life. I was there with a group of 18 other students and we all lived together in apartments and it was like having built in friends lol. It was great! My classes were in English and many, many people in Sweden speak English anyway, so language was not an issue in this case.

I also studied abroad for three months in Spain. This trip was a language immersion program, so there was a group of about 11 of us and we all lived in separate homes with host families. The language barrier and living with a host family was definitely more nerve-wracking, but it was still worth it.

I was very shy in college and practically made no friends, but on those two study abroad trips I actually felt like a normal human being, believe it or not, who could converse with others and make friends and have fun. I would definitely recommend studying abroad!

HumanZ

My friend left to exchange to the USA two years ago. I was too scared to go. The States is atleast a country where I wouldn't be so confused because of english. That's the only language I can get along with somehow. There are also so many places I'd like to visit in there.

It would be awesome to travel far from here. There are no interesting places in Europe, particularly in Finland and I've visited almost in every country in Europe. I'd like to see Australia or America. So long distance so less money to travel. ::(:

Well can't wait to go to Europe very soon :D
The reason this is good is because you're moving away from everything and everyone and it's like starting a new life and learn new things.

jonas89

My friend left to exchange to the USA two years ago. I was too scared to go. The States is atleast a country where I wouldn't be so confused because of english. That's the only language I can get along with somehow. There are also so many places I'd like to visit in there.

It would be awesome to travel far from here. There are no interesting places in Europe, particularly in Finland and I've visited almost in every country in Europe. I'd like to see Australia or America. So long distance so less money to travel. ::(:
Well that's the one positive thing about Iceland it's rather cheap to fly to USA or Europe,, I would be more concerned if I were moving to Finland tho,,, it's one of the hardest language I have tried to understand.. only word I remember is Kiitos for your input haha ;)
Well can't wait to go to Europe very soon :D
The reason this is good is because you're moving away from everything and everyone and it's like starting a new life and learn new things.

Exactly :D

HumanZ

Well that's the one positive thing about Iceland it's rather cheap to fly to USA or Europe,, I would be more concerned if I were moving to Finland tho,,, it's one of the hardest language I have tried to understand.. only word I remember is Kiitos for your input haha ;)

Yea I know it's hard language. :D

For example if you want to say: On the table, you just change the preposition (in, on, at, under etc.) to change the meaning of the phrase in english. :)

But in finnish, the word's grammatical case changes everytime on every word with different forms.

Table = Pöytä

Pöydällä = On the table
Pöytään = To the table
Pöydältä = From the table
Pöydän alla = Under the table

So yeah, not the best example but hope you understood the point. :D

jonas89

Yea I know it's hard language. :D

For example if you want to say: On the table, you just change the preposition (in, on, at, under etc.) to change the meaning of the phrase in english. :)

But in finnish, the word's grammatical case changes everytime on every word with different forms.

Table = Pöytä

Pöydällä = On the table
Pöytään = To the table
Pöydältä = From the table
Pöydän alla = Under the table

So yeah, not the best example but hope you understood the point. :D
yeah that is what makes it confusing,, finnish isn't taught here or just occasionally in the university,, Still want to learn a little bit tho just for the challenge :D

Last edited: