Stuck inside college dorm room, leading to starvation

rfacklam

I'm not sure if this really counts as agoraphobia, but I read one definition that said "fear of leaving safe place".

I am able to leave my room to go to classes, and also to use the bathroom and showers down the hall. Yesterday I was even brave enough to go to the bookstore and pick up my textbook rentals. When I arrived on campus on Thursday, I was brave enough to go for a walk, but now, I think of going outside for a walk and the fear takes hold of me.

The problem is, I'm hungry. I have a box of instant oatmeal and a chocolate bar. Also, several bottles of water. But my point is, I am too afraid to go pick up my student ID which I need to buy food. I am too afraid to go to the dining hall to get food. I ate a chocolate bar yesterday but for the past 24 hours, I have eaten nothing. Food is practically all I can think about, yet this fear is preventing me from obtaining it.

If something doesn't happen soon, I am going to get sick and I could even die of starvation. I really don't want that to happen. I need to be brave. I just don't know how.

lonely_drummer

Hi :) when I was in university, I had the exact same issues. My dorm was my safe zone. I rarely left, just for classes, showering and smoking. Eating was the most difficult for me. I hated meal hall. Too many people! And I hated eating around people, I still do! Sometimes I would go DAYS without eating, it was horrible. I recall getting ready to go to meal hall but most of the time, I found myself standing in front of my door with my hand on the handle but I would freeze. I'd try to breathe and tell myself to just ****ing GO! I still have some issues with this. I find it still takes so much effort to just start my day and get out of the house, like today I need to go grocery shopping but I've been dwelling on it for hours now. But I will go, I know this! I know this sounds like awful advice but from my experience, I just had to buck down and just do it! This is your health in the balance and without that, the rest of your life will be affected as well. Being in school and dealing with this is so difficult. You're basically just dropped into the shark tank. Being surrounded by all these social creatures that baffle your mind, wondering how the **** do they do it!? Unfortunately I dont really have concrete advice for you, which I do apologize for but just take it one battle at a time. Set small goals for yourself everyday. It doesn't even have to be big, something small. Going for walks by myself was really good for me but I understand that you've been having difficulties with this lately. I used to go for walks at the craziest hours so I wouldn't risk running into someone. I'd go out for the sunrise or walk around at 3am after a brutal assignment. Small goals, that's all I can say. I hope you can conquer this soon because I know exactly how it feels. I hope today is a better day for you

Metal_isthe_Answer

I've never lived in a dorm, is it typical for them to have showers in the hallway? Cause I wouldnt be showering

....ok I typed that weird now that I see it, what I mean is, is it typical for them to have public style showers (i.e. not confined to your dorm room)?

Last edited:

Kiwong

Is there a counsellor on college, maybe you could get someone to speak to them about the issue you have, if you are too afraid to do so yourself? Maybe they could bring the student ID to you, if you can't do it yourself. Maybe they could do the same with food? You need to eat.

I remember using the shared dorm kitchen late at night when there was nobody there. I don't remember using the showers often, perhaps I waited until I went home and could use my fathers shower. I never went to the dining hall, I often ate takeaway alone in my room.

Last edited:

TBH_ZU

Don't make the same mistake I did. I was in the same situation a few months ago. I didn't want to leave my house and I had no food. I ended up not eating for 4 days and lost ten pounds, leading me to be 105. When I finally had a ride, we went somewhere to eat but instead had to drive to the hospital because I passed out. The whole thing ended up costing me 1,100 bucks which drained my savings and I also started getting panic attacks afterwards. Whenever I started getting hungry, my body would remember what happened when I passed out and I would freak out again. Not a fun way to live.

Sacrament

Ask yourself why exactly you're so afraid, and eventually you'll realize that there's really nothing to be scared of: it's just your student ID, it's just a bookstore, it's just you getting some food. There is no danger whatsoever involved in any of those things. Take a deep breath, think of how proud you'll be for facing those giant fears over small things, and go for it.