Strange mental state - advice needed!

JJB

Hello all,

First of all hope you are all well. Secondly I need some advice concerning a strange mind state I every so often go into which as never made much sense to me. Now I've had spells of depression and severe low moods, but this is a strange state that seems in an odd sort of way natural. My hope is that others know of it and can maybe shed some light on why it happens.

Generally it comes upon me randomly, how long it lasts varies from fifteen or so minutes to a few hours. I find myself close in mentally, and a need to stare at some intently. When I do stare at something it soothes me and calms my mind. I sometimes feel like I'm not me, as much a separate being and don't take any notice of what is going on around me or who is speaking to me. I'm in my own little world and I have a strange calm when I have these states. It's difficult for me to describe, one other trait of these is that it feels as if blood is rushing to my head. Which might be a factor of the calming feeling.

Strangely I don't mind them, they just trouble me when they occur. When I have these states people seem to pick up on them, I can barely say more then one word responses in conversations or to questions usually and even then I mumble the word. It's just weird and as baffled me for as long as they have occurred. Wondering if anyone else as similar states, like I said I've had some mental difficulties over the years so maybe it's just a factor of that. But they can come when I'm in a pretty good mood to so who knows.

Much appreciated. :)

Rawz

When you say, "I sometimes feel like I'm not me, as much a separate being" it sounds like depersonalization.

Wondering if anyone else as similar states, like I said I've had some mental difficulties over the years so maybe it's just a factor of that. But they can come when I'm in a pretty good mood to so who knows.

It could be. It seems that, for some people, the longer you have mental problems and do not seek help (therapy, meds, etc), the more weird things can pop up, or the worse you can get.

JJB

Can't say I've ever heard of that Rawz. I know it would probably do me some good to get some better advice on mental well-being and all that, but I scare out of it at the last minute. A few times I've meant to bring the subject up with my local doctor but always give in at the last minute.

Thanks.

Hoppy

Generally it comes upon me randomly, how long it lasts varies from fifteen or so minutes to a few hours.

A few hours is a very long time, but I should think it is a physical thing in the brain that causes it, maybe a mild form of epilepsy? I've got the idea in my mind that I've read about it before as a medical problem, but that was before internet.

You need to talk to a doctor about it.

Silatuyok

Perhaps it is just your mind's way of zoning out. If it calms you and doesn't disrupt your life, then is it a bad thing? When I was younger I used to stare a lot. I would just let my gaze relax into the distance, looking past objects that were in front of me. Later in my life those Mind's Eye posters became really popular, and I found it really relaxing to just stare through them for a while and not really think of anything. Perhaps it is merely some form of self-hypnosis that helps you to meditate.