Spouse with a SAD

Sakai

It doesn't make sense to people who haven't experienced it themselves, but sometimes the situation gets energy intensive to us that the only way to cope with it is to shut down completely. To the point where I've been sitting in front of someone screaming abuse at me and not being able to hear or remember a single thing he has said/screamed to me. All I remember from it is the unpleasantness.

On a bit of an unrelated note, how much time do he have alone? I tend to communicate better when I've been alone for a few hours.(Sleeping don't count)

He drives a lot for work, so he has time by himself in the work van at least a few hours a day, and as a hobby he plays music by himself and reads sometimes. I'm a very independent person, and we are not one of those glued-together couples.

We have tried e-mailing. I've given him written letters, too. I e-mail him sometimes, when I know it just kills him for me to verbally question him on any level about a touchy subject.

And what you said about shutting down completely is the only way to cope, is exactly what mhy boyfriend is doing. he has told me his way of coping is to shut down and not care. to the point where he doesn't care that he doesn't care.

I only came across AvPD for the first time when I was reading people's posts on this forum, maybe a few days ago. I looked it up afterwards to see if my boyfriend fit the bill. I'm not one to make a diagnosis or even hint at him that he may have this. The description doesn't seem to fit him too well, though. He's not a self-loathing person. When we are talking about our hobbies he seems like a normal, albeit shy and mumbly, person.

Sakai

I came up with a question....for those who said they have similar problems or have done similar things in the situations.

How severe do you view your SA to be? How much functionality do you have outside your home? My boyfriend functions fine at work, though he is nervous with strangers, having to make small talks etc, but I don't think he ever shuts down outside our house. His colleagues like him very much as he is good at his job and is really, just a shy nice guy. I know being watched while working, making phone calls etc is nerve wracking for him, but honestly, he is the worst at home.

I think that, this may imply that I am not the right kind of person for him. and because I am the total opposite in nature/personality, I may be bringing out the worst of him.

When are your SAs at their worst? Between talking to a teller at a bank and talking to a spouse about something deep and personal, are there distinctly different degrees of uncomfortableness?

My boyfriend has very few friends, and will not voluntarily talk to any of his family about what he is going through, or any other difficulty in his life that would involve coming clean with his emotions. he and I agree that if he is confide in someone, it is me. But of course, he has trouble talking to me.

I almost feel like, he is Jekyl and Hyde - not that I think he does this intentionally or maliciously at all, but I get the eerie feeling that he is passable as normal outside yet is so dysfunctional at home.

coyote

^see the thing is, what many of us fear the most is rejection and/or negative judgment

being scrutinized by your boss or judged by a bank teller is one thing

but facing the potential rejection of the woman you love is altogether different

and infinitely more frightening

at home he is able to hide and avoid his fear - while at work or in public he has to work with them in order to function

unfortunately, in the avoidant way of thinking, it is easier and more acceptable to hurt the person you love by avoiding than it is to face the possible rejection from that person

we're often most frightened by the things we care the most about - and the thought that we might be losing them makes us even more frightened

he probably avoids the things he cares about the most - in this case you and your relationship

Hoppy

How severe do you view your SA to be?

Moderate to severe . I am basically unable to keep up a relationship with anybody. Immediate family so-so, but to normal people the family are dysfunctional.

How much functionality do you have outside your home?

A lot. I work as production manager. Managing people is easy as long as it is about work and I work from a position of strength. Personal problems get ignored (I didn't say I was a good manager). I also go to shows alone, movies alone, and if I ever have the opportunity a holiday alone. I never had a relationship. One so-so friend from primary school, and a very mixed up female I keep on texting since she is the only person ever to invite me to her birthday.

When are your SAs at their worst?

From spending too much time lurking on this site I believe that every Social Phobic has got his/hers own little hell.

Some love spending time with family, I am extremely uncomfortable with family.
some never go out, I do not mind.
Some don't mind talking on a phone, my stomach turn at the sound of a phone ringing.

eerie feeling that he is passable as normal outside yet is so dysfunctional at home.

I understand that as well. When I get home I sometimes collapses completely.

If the AvPD does not fit him, it probably is not. Every thing you wrote about him resonated so much with me and that is why I am writing this much.

1BlackSheep

It sounds like he's had the same issues since you met him (btw - how did you meet?), so how did things progress to the point where you now own a home together? I'm really not trying to be judgmental - believe me, I would likely have done the same with someone I was in love with! What is now making you start to have second thoughts about the relationship?

Years ago, I dated a guy who I met at work. We worked in different departments but had occasional interaction. He seemed like a quiet but very kind person, which appealed to me because I'm a quiet, homebody type. I had no idea he had any interest in me until another co-worker mentioned he'd asked if I was seeing anyone. I also had no idea he suffered from severe depression until I saw how he was at home (drank excessively and cut himself) after we started dating. It was tough dealing with this because it was something I'd never been exposed to. But, I fell very hard for him (he was good at saying all the right things!), only to discover that we were very different personality types. I ended up getting my heart broken (which I think was the root cause of my beginning to have panic attacks), but in retrospect I thank my lucky stars that the relationship ended because I think it would have been a rocky, unhappy road. And it wasn't because of his depression per se, but because we really had very different personalities. Sometimes it's just easier to hang onto a relationship that's not working than to have to start over, but in the end it may be in your best interest for long-term happiness.

SelfHater

Sounds like you could be talking about me. Long drive to work does not give alone time to relax. Just more time to think about a zillion things. I know when I am getting worse when I arrive and realize that there is only static on the radio. I function great at work... get the promotions ect. It is all a scam though. My smile, my personality is all fake and it drains me. You say he is not a self loather.... Well I am one big time but I do not let anybody I know see that side of me. It is too embarrassing. I have been like this for about 30 years. Even my wife of many years does not know this. The funny thing about self loathing is that it forces you to go after perfection. Chasing perfection only makes me more dysfunctional. That is why to some people it may look like I have it all. I know my feelings are not normal....what ever that is. I know though that standing in a line at walmart I should not feel like I am going to die. So I logically learned to hide and reject these feelings. So when I get confronted by my wife it becomes a battle in my own mind as to what I am feeling and what is logical. Even though I know what many of my problems are correcting them is a constant struggle. Nobody is more judgemental on me then myself. I over think everything. There is nothing my wife says to me that I have not already thought myself. But like I said before knowing and changing is two different things. Sorry I can not help and give you a solution. Just a little insight IF he is like me.

1BlackSheep

I function great at work... get the promotions ect. It is all a scam though. My smile, my personality is all fake and it drains me. You say he is not a self loather.... Well I am one big time but I do not let anybody I know see that side of me. It is too embarrassing.
I know the feeling all too well!

coyote

Sounds like you could be talking about me. Long drive to work does not give alone time to relax. Just more time to think about a zillion things. I know when I am getting worse when I arrive and realize that there is only static on the radio. I function great at work... get the promotions ect. It is all a scam though. My smile, my personality is all fake and it drains me. You say he is not a self loather.... Well I am one big time but I do not let anybody I know see that side of me. It is too embarrassing. I have been like this for about 30 years. Even my wife of many years does not know this. The funny thing about self loathing is that it forces you to go after perfection. Chasing perfection only makes me more dysfunctional. That is why to some people it may look like I have it all. I know my feelings are not normal....what ever that is. I know though that standing in a line at walmart I should not feel like I am going to die. So I logically learned to hide and reject these feelings. So when I get confronted by my wife it becomes a battle in my own mind as to what I am feeling and what is logical. Even though I know what many of my problems are correcting them is a constant struggle. Nobody is more judgemental on me then myself. I over think everything. There is nothing my wife says to me that I have not already thought myself. But like I said before knowing and changing is two different things. Sorry I can not help and give you a solution. Just a little insight IF he is like me.

We sound alot alike.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

this_portrait

How severe do you view your SA to be? How much functionality do you have outside your home?

Mine is pretty severe, though I've managed to push through a lot of things that many people at my level of SA would never be able to push through. I can go to school, I can work, I can talk on the phone, etc. I can go out and perform basic errands and whatnot; it's just interacting and relating to my peers that I have a hard time with.

Sakai said:
When are your SAs at their worst? Between talking to a teller at a bank and talking to a spouse about something deep and personal, are there distinctly different degrees of uncomfortableness?

My SA is at its worst when dealing with interpersonal relationships of any kind. It takes me a long time to fully warm up to someone, and some people I may never warm up to.

Waybuloo

It sounds as though your bf has difficulty experiencing emotions, including love and concern for you, especially when you are upset and emotionla. Or he doesn't really care about you that much to show love and concern. You won't know at this rate if you don't get him to talk to a psychiatrist or therapist, or get both of you to a relationship counsellor. It's fine if he knows he has a problem and wants to change it because he cares about you and the relationship, but if he is unwilling to share with you his concern and problems then it's a dead end. You really need to get through to him and understand his side of the story for the sake of your relationship as well as your sanity. If you are not able to achieve it then I feel that this relationship is dragging you down emotionally and mentally and that ultimately it will destroy you.

SelfHater

Thanks coyote. I have been lurking here for a while. So I know that I am not alone. Wish something like this was around back in my school days.

Sakai

Yeah at the very beginning I didn't know that he had such problems; even he couldn't put a name to it - he was just uncomfortable in social situations. I didn't learn the reason behind his first girlfriend leaving him at the beginning. He was awkward on our dates. I just thought he was extremely shy and it was apparent that he hadn't had much experience with women, with which I was fine.

I guess his problems became more and more visible because the tension around our family/in-law issues magnified in the last 6 months, and his inability to fend off personal attacks on me from his people is really weighing me down. And I have no problems standing my ground, it's just that it gets...old and tiring.

His family doesn't know the whole extent of his problems, and has no idea that he does nothing for my family. So they push and try to hang out with us both, to which I object and boycott, because some time in the past I decided, there is no way I carry all this weight and put up with the people I dislike, with my boyfriend not doing F all for me. Disordered or not. There is no way I should sit on my ass and eat this.

I've told him on a few different occasions how he could try to connect with my family, who don't ask for much. Greeting cards, gifts, pictures and videos and such, if he can't verbally express himself, there are many other ways to do it that doesn't entail vocalization, being rushed or feeling cornered. But he hasn't done anything for 3 years. If he doesn't know what to write on cards, all he needs to do is open his mouth and ask me. But he won't. He probably can't.

Actually I would be able to wait for him for much longer if there's to be no personal attacks and family visits at all in the meantime. because what hurts me the most is the feeling that I am alone in this. And the betrayal from my boyfriend, who can't protect me, even if he wanted, with all his heart.

And what you said about shutting down completely is the only way to cope, is exactly what mhy boyfriend is doing. he has told me his way of coping is to shut down and not care. to the point where he doesn't care that he doesn't care.

Actually I would be able to wait for him for much longer if there's to be no personal attacks and family visits at all in the meantime. because what hurts me the most is the feeling that I am alone in this. And the betrayal from my boyfriend, who can't protect me, even if he wanted, with all his heart.

You said in your first post that he says he just can't handle going to therapy anymore then twice a month.

Imo these behaviours that seem the hardest for you to cope with seem deep-rooted and are his life long ways of doing things. They don't seem to be behaviours that can be overcome with only 2 visits to therapy a month.

Is there anyway you could help him to see the need to have therapy on a more regular basis?

Sakai

You said in your first post that he says he just can't handle going to therapy anymore then twice a month.

Is there anyway you could help him to see the need to have therapy on a more regular basis?

I don't know. If it's the financial side of things that he is stuck with, I can help pay for the sessions. I also have much more extensive and better extented healthcare than he does, and as long as they can change the name on the receipts I can claim it with my insurer. But I think why he needs more time (which the psychologist did say at first, usually sessions are had on a weekly basis but some people do need more time) is that he feels that in a week's time he can't put enough thoughts together to discuss in the session. I think the sessions are done in a way he comes up with an area on which he wants to work, and the shrink provides guidance as to how to combat irrational thoughts he may have, and he records the thoughts that come through his mind and emotions he may experience. And for him, to do this is tough just with a week's time. In my experience with him, even when something substantial happens, it takes him long to process what really happened and form an opinion of it. When we talk about how he can't have my back in the presence of some people who may attack me, he says that he is not immediately cognizant of the offenses being made, so he can't counter the comments. When something happens during the week, he's not sure how to feel about the incidence even after a week.

He has a session coming up in the new year, and has agreed to pursue medications, or at least inquire about the steps to getting the prescription (ie. getting a referral to a psychiatrist). I don't know if he'll have to go see the "medical" shrink to get the scripts, or the psychologist has a psychiatrist that she affiliates with who will just prescribe with her requests only.

I think you need to tell his family what he has and how it hurts you. It seems that what is bothering you the most is not him as much as his family - deal with his family ;).

I think the sessions are done in a way he comes up with an area on which he wants to work, and the shrink provides guidance as to how to combat irrational thoughts he may have, and he records the thoughts that come through his mind and emotions he may experience. And for him, to do this is tough just with a week's time.

yeah, really - he just isn't pushing himself. He needs to!

I'm really committed to beating S/A and I do CBT on my own, and everyday I change thoughts and I'm having amazing results. Yes the going is tough but very rewarding. It's a lot like weightlifting, you have to push yourself to go to the gym, do the work and endure the pain. But if you run away at the thought of "pain", you're not going to get anywhere.

But then again, I don't have a wonderful wife supporting me and a job where people like me and appreciate me - so I'm more "inspired" to work on it.

I remember being like him when I was 14 - not doing anything about it because my parents were supporting me, so I could spend all day on the computer without worrying about anything.

He really just needs to push himself more if he wants to overcome this. Overcoming this from severe social anxiety requires an immense amount of work and dedication - and it's seems like he's doing nothing about it....

I wish him and you the best of luck, this is a horrible disorder...

Sakai

I think you need to tell his family what he has and how it hurts you. It seems that what is bothering you the most is not him as much as his family - deal with his family ;).

It is the de-facto betrayal that I cannot forget and forgive. I don't like his family but I can disregard what they say. I don't live with them. I don't see them very often.

But when someone puts me down, and he does nothing, he is silently agreeing with the negative remark being made of me. I feel so, and I'm sure it appears that way on the outside also.

Sakai

But Easy, thank you for your input. It's encouraging to hear from people who's going through this and see that overcoming SA is achievable....and I'm glad that you treasure your life enough you know you have to work hard to conquer your difficulties....

Hoppy

do the work and endure the pain.

Extremely hard work and intense pain sometimes. The difficult thing is that it is just like fitness. You have to work at it every day, otherwise you are going to become weak again.

Makes me depressed sometimes.

Correction: I am always depressed, this makes me more depressed.