spontaneity in conversation !

ikbenrifi

whenever i'm a situation that needs me talking, i loose spontaneity ! my head goes blank and i run out of ides to talk about !!!!!!!!!
Does any of you guys have tips to get over this ?!

ImNotMyIllness

That sounds normal. I think everyone experiences that. It's a lot of pressure to have on one person to keep the conversation flowing. I experience this too from time to time. Nothing to worry about. Although, if you're really intent on improving your skills, knowing more information on popular topics helps. (i.e sports etc).

Srijita52

^I agree and also practice practice and practice, eventually it will get better. Don't try to filter too much, and force yourself to talk more and more often.

ikbenrifi

what i'm talking about is not normail at all !
to have a blank, absolutely blank head is not normal, it feels bad either for me and the one i'm talking about, it's just awkward and no one will enjoy being around me !!

thanks for replying :)

jaim38

^I experience the same thing too. It's like my brain freezes and I have nothing to contribute to the conversation. Sometimes I wonder how people can just yak on and on and have so much to say. Maybe their brain is cluttered with lots of thoughts and ideas.

ikbenrifi

jaim38 : i wonder how is it that some people just don't stop talking too ! they just can talk for hours, i know this can be annoying to some but i really wish if i had 1 percent of their spontaneity !!

ImNotMyIllness

jaim38 : i wonder how is it that some people just don't stop talking too ! they just can talk for hours, i know this can be annoying to some but i really wish if i had 1 percent of their spontaneity !!

That's called having the "gift of gab"......It's a gift! Although, some people are just annoying.

razzle dazzle rose

^ haha, yeah, some people can go on forever on very little. It is amazing.

I get stuck in conversations as well. Sometimes I just don't want to talk. Though if I want to keep the conversation going, I find asking questions works well. I also try not to overthink it and just say whatever comes to mind. Definitely something that would get easier with practice. Also depends on who you are talking to of course; the other person has to do their share as well.

Srijita52

what i'm talking about is not normail at all !
to have a blank, absolutely blank head is not normal, it feels bad either for me and the one i'm talking about, it's just awkward and no one will enjoy being around me !!

thanks for replying :)

I used to be exactly same, drawing complete blank everytime I talk to people, I still get them often. But the more you put yourself out there and talk more to people, it does get better. The more you talk, the more you know what to say.

Lamb

^ haha, yeah, some people can go on forever on very little. It is amazing.

I get stuck in conversations as well. Sometimes I just don't want to talk. Though if I want to keep the conversation going, I find asking questions works well. I also try not to overthink it and just say whatever comes to mind. Definitely something that would get easier with practice. Also depends on who you are talking to of course; the other person has to do their share as well.

From my experience, asking questions has usually resulted in the other person realizing I'm asking too many questions and then reflecting them back onto me, which is what I'm avoiding in the first place, haha.

As far as learning more about certain topics go, I lose the interest when I have the time. :idontknow: I sympathize with you ikbenrifi. Sometimes throwing out random things helps..or being able to make others laugh.

ikbenrifi

I used to be exactly same, drawing complete blank everytime I talk to people, I still get them often. But the more you put yourself out there and talk more to people, it does get better. The more you talk, the more you know what to say.

I will definitley try to talk more , talk talk talk on every ocasion :thumbup:

humor is my secret.. keep em laughing at something else, and then the convo flows, they like you, and you can keep them from laughing at you.. see?

kotulakj2

I have the exact same problem as you Ikbenrifi. My problem is let's say I met someone new, I would probably be able to have a good to great conversation for the first time even though initially for the first couple of minutes I met them I would be a little nervous and quiet. However, every subsequent times thereafter that I met them my head would draw a blank, because I would have used all my material that I would want to talk about in the first meeting I have with that person. I have trouble maintaining a conversation from one meeting with the same person to another. Sadly this is what is going to be my downfall when I meet with this girl sometime next week. She'll probably like me on the first date, but with her nature being to only want to date someone who is outgoing and not really quiet it kind of puts me at a disadvantage. In fact while I never would advise this I almost feel I will have to lie about things just so I don't look like a fool and can actually not be boring. I'm an introvert so my strategy of dealing with this is to try and make friends online. Unfortunately I wish there was a website I could think of to do this, because let's face it for me personally I don't think I'll ever be motivated to do clubs or such to make new friends, but only through online friends.

Sad part about me is that I don't have a ton of interests and many of things I did have interest in the past I no longer have the same level of interest anymore. I just feel once I've done something numerous times in the past it's no longer fun for me so I can't ever seem to be motivated to force myself to have fun. I mean I don't hate fun, I just feel all the fun things in life existed in the 90s for me and that the glory days are over and we are in an era where I feel things as far as entertainment goes have taken a turn for the worst. However despite all this, I just feel I have to force myself out otherwise I'll never be able to practice on my social skills.

Last edited:
It does tend to be a problem, like with my coworkers.. the ones who I hardly see.. They always want to talk and I hate small talk so I have burned up all I know.. Humor then does not really work cause they are not into humor.. it all just depends on the situation and person..

laure15

I have the exact same problem as you Ikbenrifi. My problem is let's say I met someone new, I would probably be able to have a good to great conversation for the first time even though initially for the first couple of minutes I met them I would be a little nervous and quiet. However, every subsequent times thereafter that I met them my head would draw a blank, because I would have used all my material that I would want to talk about in the first meeting I have with that person.

I experienced the same situation with my friend. When I first met her, we have so much to talk about and so much to ask. But in later meetings, we started to get...bored. I ran out of questions to ask, she as well. I have to resort to asking questions about stuff that I'm not very interested in, just to keep the convo flowing. And we didn't do anything productive in our meetings.