Speaking Clearly

DekKO

I'm always asked to repeat myself like half of the time I speak. I've always thought it was how I talked until I was alone with a friend and he said he couldn't understand me. My mom even said I speak too loud sometimes so it has to be my way of speaking not my volume. Anyone else have this problem and do you know any tips on how to speak more clearly?

Not really with my clarity, but more in the way in which I speak. To them I don't make much sense, and vice versa. I try (and only know how) to speak efficiently, while they're more 'chatty'.

It can be quite frustrating. :/

Minty

Well, your writing style is perfectly clear.

I get told to repeat myself often, even when I enunciate and speak loudly. It's annoying. I have noticed that I have better hearing than most people, though. And my siblings who are younger understand me just fine. It's my parents who are always like, "...WHA-WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

I'm certain that everyone, no matter how perfect their voice is, gets asked to repeat themselves often. Human hearing/attention span isn't always great.

lunaticbinge

I loathe speaking. Often times i'll say things completely different from what i meant to say or i'll mess up the order of words and the result is a garbled mess of noise. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier pretending to be mute.

Rembrandt Broam

Originally Posted by Pookah
I have problems with volume and stuttering over words when I am nervous.
Ditto. I've managed to overcome these problems to a large degree, though...

I tend to mumble a bit at times. Also, I often speak too quietly when acknowledging someone, and then I get paranoid that they didn't hear me and will think I'm rude or aloof or something. ::(:

Felgen

How'd you do it? Practice?

Practice is important here. The first times, I had to focus hard not to stumble when speaking at nervous settings. Also, you need to learn to relax when speaking. Focus on overcoming the worst aspects of the anxiety first, then it will be easier.

Minty

I loathe speaking. Often times i'll say things completely different from what i meant to say or i'll mess up the order of words and the result is a garbled mess of noise. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier pretending to be mute.

Same. Sometimes I feel resentful towards others for forcing me to speak.

And I don't wonder--I actually WISH I had been born mute. It's pretty messed up, lol.

Minty

Practice is important here. The first times, I had to focus hard not to stumble when speaking at nervous settings. Also, you need to learn to relax when speaking. Focus on overcoming the worst aspects of the anxiety first, then it will be easier.
It's weird because with some people, the pace of our conversation is so natural and it just flows of its own accord. I don't have to worry about how fast I should express myself and there's no pressure. Other people, I get the sense that they just want me to finish my thought ASAP so they can say what they want to say. They're only interested in what they have to contribute to the conversation. With them, I tend to stumble over words and lose my train of thought because of the pressure.

petrified eyes

I speak very quietly and mumble a lot when I'm nervous. I don't really stutter but I tend to "trip over" my words or mash them together.

Example:

Person: "How's this?"

Me: "Verynice, thatilworkverwell, thankya." (Very nice, that will work very well, thank you.)

Person: "Excuse me?"

Me: "Yetsgood." (Yeah, it's good.)

Person: "What?"

Me: "Fine!"

I speak very quietly and mumble a lot when I'm nervous. I don't really stutter but I tend to "trip over" my words or mash them together.

Example:

Person: "How's this?"

Me: "Verynice, thatilworkverwell, thankya." (Very nice, that will work very well, thank you.)

Person: "Excuse me?"

Me: "Yetsgood." (Yeah, it's good.)

Person: "What?"

Me: "Fine!"

I do the Yetsgood. Nobody complains, yet.

I will hang on words. Usually fist knocking on hard surface gets it out. Or something backwards, rearranged.

Seems to stem growth from the nourishment of nerves. Calm, better.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I mumble really bad. I love it when I'm "talking" to someone and they obviously didn't hear a word I said and just sort of nod at the end and go "yeah." In one of my classes the teacher was talking about talking clearing and said the two things to do is talk in a higher pitch and more nasal-y. He was a singer so I think he knew what he was talking about.

SilverFire

I tend to mumble, but that's only when I'm ordering something or I'm first meeting someone. I'm not sure how loud my voice is and I don't want to seem like a bossy person.