Some dialogue in a movie

*Amy*

I recently recalled a brief dialogue in the movie The painted veil, from 2006, with Edward Norton and Naomi Watts. It goes on like this:

Kitty Fane: It's raining cats and dogs.
Kitty Fane: I said it's raining cats and dogs.
Walter Fane: Yes, I heard you.
Kitty Fane: You might have answered.
Walter Fane: I suppose I'm not used to speaking unless I've something to say.
Kitty Fane: If people only spoke when they had something to say, the human race would soon lose the power of speech.

Does it happen to you that you speak only when you have something to say? I feel so identified with the character of Dr. Fane on that matter...

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I think I know what you mean, I remember that scene and for some reason it stayed in my mind too. But I think the point is that, even if you have nothing to say, you might want to FIND something to say to answer to this other human being who is obviously trying to communicate with you - sometimes people exchange some shallow words just to make a connection and aknowledge or "approve" each other presence.

Yes, but I also speak for the sake of amusement; a joke for example.

Initially speech is for passing on information anyway, so only speaking when you have something to say is just fine.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Yes, but I also speak for the sake of amusement; a joke for example.

Initially speech is for passing on information anyway, so only speaking when you have something to say is just fine.

Yep. But see, what's the real importance, is you being content. If you only speak when you have something to say and think nothing more of it, that's great. Sometimes I wish I felt that way. I knew someone who did.

I for example, am not content only speaking when I have something to say... because I feel like I have more to say, but my mind blanks, is slow, etc. etc. etc. or too hesitant to say something - or I feel like I SHOULD know whatever topic more.

But I also realize much of speech is experience. Can read all you want but if sheltered and avoid contact when you to interact you can't be expected to be Richard Brand. It's like cardio, workingout, etc.

BUT YEAH so much talk is "shallow" but telling silly jokes and stories and talking about "nothing" is ways we closer connect with eachother and stuff.

coyote

I think I know what you mean, I remember that scene and for some reason it stayed in my mind too. But I think the point is that, even if you have nothing to say, you might want to FIND something to say to answer to this other human being who is obviously trying to communicate with you - sometimes people exchange some shallow words just to make a connection and aknowledge or "approve" each other presence.

I agree

remaining mute in a conversation can be interpreted as "I don't care enough about you to think of anything to say or even acknowledge your presence."

"I don't have anything to say" can be interpreted as "I don't have anything to say TO YOU."

silence can inflict painful wounds - even if when it's not intended

just something to be aware of, I guess