So self-conscious about my voice

yesman

in medium-loud settings, I sound like Robert from Everybody Loves Raymond. However, I have this little story...

One time, in my loud school caf, I had to yell all the way across to one of my friends sitting at the other side of the room. So I had my Blackberry Playbook lying around, and I thought that I'd record myself, and see what I at least sound like when I'm yelling at full volume. The result was soo pleasing. I sounded not nasally at all, and a lot younger and lighter. My voice sounded NOTHING like what it usually sounds like.

But my friend who was there said that I don't sound different when I'm yelling. Who should I trust? My friend, or the playbook?

PS I did some experiments at home, where I yelled as loud as possible. I recorded it, and found that I was still not nasally or low.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
in medium-loud settings, I sound like Robert from Everybody Loves Raymond. However, I have this little story...

One time, in my loud school caf, I had to yell all the way across to one of my friends sitting at the other side of the room. So I had my Blackberry Playbook lying around, and I thought that I'd record myself, and see what I at least sound like when I'm yelling at full volume. The result was soo pleasing. I sounded not nasally at all, and a lot younger and lighter. My voice sounded NOTHING like what it usually sounds like.

But my friend who was there said that I don't sound different when I'm yelling. Who should I trust? My friend, or the playbook?

PS I did some experiments at home, where I yelled as loud as possible. I recorded it, and found that I was still not nasally or low.

We all sound different when our voices are recorded. Though, ah can relate tae feelin' self-conscious aboot yer voice, probably why ah don't talk much. And ah don't yell much since am quite low talker. Ah know... confidence issues.

And keep in mind, yer voice can sound different when amplified through a speaker.

MotherWolff

Banned
I don't like my voice at all. But it sounds even worse on a recording. I sound like a drug-induced cow or something.

planetweirdo

I'm really self-conscious about my voice too. I think it sounds weird and sometimes I fear that people would be annoyed by it.

Lou-s-Darkness

I'm not fond of the way my voice sounds..I hear it a little more high pitched in my head, but then I hear it in a recording and It sounds deeper than I expected. Yuck...

I find that when i get all excited and hyper and talk a lot my voice sounds ok (because it kind of sounds lighter and girlier in recordings somehow), as opposed to my usual tone.