So i joined a gym - hoping it will make me feel a bit better.

scruffpot

So I took a leap today and joined a gym, felt fed up and down with all my anxiety and how I felt etc and that I needed a boost, and that it was me who had to do it.

I have a weight set bench etc in the house but felt like i wasn't getting what I needed out of it. So it took me while to find a place that isn't a Muscle Mary/lots of people/large corporate gym (esporta etc) and signed up.
Felt really weird today though, but managed to zone out and ignore people (the few that were there) and work on getting fit, then went for a swim, that felt really strange. But I'm really glad I did it.
I usually go swimming in the sea as i surf a lot, away from most people, plus can wear a wet suit ;)

Hopefully it will make me feel better about myself, apart from trying to get buff (not that i am already hehehe). But am going to go as much as possible not push myself too hard. But glad I found a smallish place that never gets too busy.

Anyone else doing the same?

One of the reasons im doing this is that I got discharged from CBT, as my Therapist said i was too complicated and that apart from my social anxiety i have other underlying problems and that I need to be Psychiactrically (how ever it is spelt) evaluated and that I need a brain scan cause of my bike accident a few years ago - mental trauma and all that, however he decided that into the 3rd session, after i waited a year to get to the top of the CBT list grrrr. It peed me off so i thought I need something positive to work towards- as for me my physical effects my mental. As i took up painting again, and playing my bass guitar and sax, but needed something to get out of the house.Anyway I'm rambling now.. :)

scruffpot

dam chlorine in the pool makes it all fuzzy for the rest of the day :)
hopefully ill have no regrets as well

BlackKids

Great stuff man. I love going to the gym and the benefits are almost endless:
Improve your health, confidence, attractiveness etc etc etc
Great place to meet people too. I'm planning to ask a girl out who works at the gym, something I wouldnt of done 6mths but thanks to regular exercise I feel much more confident.

You'll properly feel like a lemon the first few times your there. I didnt know how to use the machines but everyone was very helpful :)

philly2bits

I workout at home. I still haven't gotten up enough nerve to join a gym. I don't think I could stand all the people looking at me. The benefits I get from exercising at home are enough for me right now anyway.

overcome.

Coming from somebody that's been gyms for around 3 years, you've made a very good move. The benefits are endless, your self confidence and self esteem will rise when your body starts to change for the better. I've met tonnes of different people from different walks of life, you can work on improving conversation/social skills with people too.

Richey

coming from someone who's worst fear is to work out in a gym in front of strangers in peak condition i must say i envy your courage, hope i can some day gain the nerve to do it, instead i play recreational sports and basketball and i have an indoor bike at home but the gym would be something i need to face some day.

mrb

go for it mate getting fit will make you feel better .. dont go mad at first just build up and enjoy ..