so confused! help?

awk711

hi guys!

so I've been seeing a therapist for a few months but I had stopped going because this therapist was very negative to me. There were times where I just wanted to walk out because I felt very intimidated by her, but besides that she recommended psychologists to see for anxiety/depression. I was all for it because I really want a change in my life. My mom and doctor on the other hand were not on board.

I am 21 years old and I'm a college student majoring in early childhood education. I started student teaching and my anxiety is SO BAD without any therapy. This makes it extra hard to get through the days.

so basically I'm so confused what to do. I should be looking for a new therapist (hopefully soon) but I also want to try meds. (but I'm also concerned about the side effects)

any advice from people who do take medication?

dottie

i tried CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) over medication. you can take medication for awhile but once you come off of it you are still the same person you were before. it's not going to cure you or change anything in the long run. this is why i suggest CBT to get to the heart of the matter and learn to cope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nanita

I was on antidepressives and anti anxiety meds. I wish I had never been on them, because it didn´t do me any good and there were horrible side effects, while I was on the meds and for a long time after I stopped taking them.
I have been seeing psychologists, psychiatrists and was in a CBT group.
But the only thing that has worked for me is seeing a psychotherapist who helps me analyze parts of my childhood, helps me get to know myself better, helps me find my own strenghts and talents. My therapist is educated in the field called psychodynamic therapy.

Amitush123

hi guys!

so I've been seeing a therapist for a few months but I had stopped going because this therapist was very negative to me. There were times where I just wanted to walk out because I felt very intimidated by her, but besides that she recommended psychologists to see for anxiety/depression. I was all for it because I really want a change in my life. My mom and doctor on the other hand were not on board.

I am 21 years old and I'm a college student majoring in early childhood education. I started student teaching and my anxiety is SO BAD without any therapy. This makes it extra hard to get through the days.

so basically I'm so confused what to do. I should be looking for a new therapist (hopefully soon) but I also want to try meds. (but I'm also concerned about the side effects)

any advice from people who do take medication?

Not on meds due to parents' objection, I would try a more positive therapist 1st, a good one can do wonders

awk711

thanks so much everyone!

my mom is against it and I was concerned about the side effects if I did choose meds but I'm definitely going to look for a new therapist.