Smiling

zlench

Today in work I got told to smile by the boss. It made me feel so uncomfortable I just cannot never seem to smile for anything. If I do smile I think that I look stupid.

mikestar

Banned
We had a family get together and we all had to smile for the camera...

Whats there to smile about??

Last edited:

Ren Koutaisou

My boss, managers, random customers, and even sometimes my own table try to force me to.

I just want to say " I DON'T WANNA SMILE!" but I do it anyway. My fake smile is slowly becoming a second smile.

doesit

whats so bad about smilling ?i always try to make others laugh and smile when im around people,and i really hate when someone is never smilling and is in a bad mood all the time.to put on a fake smile is really hard but if you appear sad or angry all the time people wont feel comfortable around you and vise versa :)

klytus

Just because I never smile, it doesn't mean I am in a bad mood. There is no sense in walking around smiling. If I think about stuff - and that's what I usually do - then I have no incentive whatsoever to smile. I like what I think about, but it's definitely not amusing.

I, personally, dislike people who smile all the time. For me it means that they fake it successfully, or successfully distract themselves from their everyday problems, which amounts to escapism. Only very few people can genuinely smile without cease. My impression has been proven right in sufficiently many cases such that I don't question it further.

Last edited:

this_portrait

I hate being forced to smile, because I always feel as if I look like such a dork whenever I do so. Natural smiles are way better.

Kinetik

I rarely seem to smile, and have been told I come across as intimidating, which doesn't surprise me as I'm tall and often catch myself looking serious. Anyway, a couple of days ago I had to attend a wedding, and at one point I went outside for a smoke, during which a really attractive woman walked past me. I forced myself to make eye contact and smile, and she did it back, which felt strangely but intensely rewarding. It was a minuscule incident in the grand scheme of things (and was probably aided by the fact that I was drunk) but it gave me a good feeling regardless. So it's probably worth it if you can push your comfort zone once in a while.

Last edited:
Today in work I got told to smile by the boss. It made me feel so uncomfortable I just cannot never seem to smile for anything. If I do smile I think that I look stupid.

Just say no i dont wanna, i mean wats he gonna do sack ya? he cant or you just sue him if he does.

klytus

I can't count the times that people have smiled in my face and then talked bad about me behind my back.
Indeed.

In my case, I think that people want me to smile so that I don't come across as a snob or inaccessible.
This is always the case. It's because people love similarity. They love to think of themselves as open, accessible individuals with a down-to-Earth personality, because that's "totally in" these days. People who come across as being serious, unapproachable are "out", in every sense of that word and are subject to shunning.

Reiji Moritsugu

I hardly smile, because I look even worse than usual when doing so.

I swear, I could be the joker in the next batman movie just by how my smile looks;
I actually prefer being seen as inaccessible than having people run away scared
or something like that.

See you around :)

Mikefly

Just because I never smile, it doesn't mean I am in a bad mood. There is no sense in walking around smiling. If I think about stuff - and that's what I usually do - then I have no incentive whatsoever to smile. I like what I think about, but it's definitely not amusing.

I, personally, dislike people who smile all the time. For me it means that they fake it successfully, or successfully distract themselves from their everyday problems, which amounts to escapism. Only very few people can genuinely smile without cease. My impression has been proven right in sufficiently many cases such that I don't question it further.

You personally dislike people who smile all the time? yeah they prob feel the same way about you not smiling. Maybe it's like their way to cope like you not smiling is your way to cope, that's an ignorant statement.

JCS008

I don't think you need to constantly walk around with a smile on your face, I mean very few people do this. I'd say more people walk around with frowns rather than smiles anways. Just walk around and present yourself the way you want to present yourself. But as far as attracting other people and people feeling more comfrotable with you, I think the positve approach works a little better. I mean you don't have to walk around with a cheesy grin on your face to be a positive person.

HidingOnThe4thFloor

It was a minuscule incident in the grand scheme of things (and was probably aided by the fact that I was drunk) but it gave me a good feeling regardless.
Dear Kinetik, please don't put this down to the power of alcohol. I have made the same mistake countless times. You did it because it is really YOU . . . and the drug helped you get over the inhibitions that plague so many of us. Hooray for having the good feeling! Now the hard part is trusting it.

klytus

Mikefly said:
Maybe it's like their way to cope like you not smiling is your way to cope, that's an ignorant statement.
Well, but this shows that I was right after all. For many of them, smiling is a coping mechanism, to snatch a piece of social acceptance, and to escape their daily downs. Hence it is not 'genuine'. I dislike hypocrisy. While not every single action of an individual is meant to help coping with some issue, most people I have met were smiling because it was socially expected of them, because they wanted said social acceptance. In reality, their lives were dark and unenjoyable.

I usually don't smile, because there's nothing I could genuinely smile about - if there is such a thing, then I smile, or even laugh. The only aspect of life I have to cope with is the foolery of my fellow human beings.

Last edited:

Satine

Maybe there isn't any need to smile per se. I don't tend to smile much either (I'm not entirely sure many people do, actually), but I find that, if I'm in a happy mood, my facial expression softens and I have an open, 'light' look. When I do that and I'm walking in town, I get asked for directions etc., more often.

It seems that it makes me approachable, which I suppose ultimately is what your boss wants. Might be worth a try?