Small survey my therapist asked me to do..

Greenthorn

Hey guys, so today my therapist set me some 'homework' and told me to ask as many people as I can this short little survey he made relating to going to interviews whilst having s.a. (a big issue for me) so, if any of you wouldn't mind answering a few questions I'd really appreciate it, and be as honest as you can. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
--------------------------
1) If an employer asked "Tell me about yourself?" what would you say?

2) Have you ever been stuck on a question in an interview? If yes, please give an example.

3) Have you ever messed up an interview? Give an example?

4) Before getting a new job how many interviews did you go for?

5) If you were giving an interview what would you think of someone who went blank on being asked a question?

knr9311

1) I'm a dedicated person to everything I do. My family's my number one priority in my life. I'm a very rule-oriented person, so no one ever has to worry about me breaking or bending the rules. I graduated high school & am looking forward to going back to college some day. I am looking for a job and I think that this is a great place for me to work because blah, blah, blah.

2) A question I get stuck on a lot in interviews, "Tell me about a time where you struggled with a situation and the steps you took to overcome it." Gets me every single time, except in the most recent interview I had!

3) I would say that the most I've ever messed-up in an interview is not being able to answer a question or two, like the one I always get stuck on.

4) I've had ones where I go & get hired on the spot. The longest I've gone through interviews until I got a new job is two. (Keep in mind that I haven't interviewed much & the places that I go aren't for graduated college students or anything that requires a college degree).

5) If I was giving an interview and someone went blank on a question, I think I'd understand. It also gives off the impression that they weren't prepared though.

emre43

1) I always stutter my words and end up coming out with just a sentence.

2) Yes, when going for a sales assistant role I was asked to explain to them the ntirate cycle. I also asked to build an electric circuit. I had no idea how to do either. My interviewers laughed to each other when I couldn't build the circuit.

3. See question 2.

4. I haven't been in paid employment yet. Been invited to 5 interviews I think. No degree and a lack of work experience means not many interviews.

5. I would think nerves affect everybody and as long as they answer the question it wouldn't bother me.

Flanscho

2) Have you ever been stuck on a question in an interview? If yes, please give an example.
5) If you were giving an interview what would you think of someone who went blank on being asked a question?

1) is not a question normally asked in job interviews in Germany. If asked, I'd give a short list of hobbies of mine.

2) Hmmm, no specific one I can remember.

3) Not that I can remember.

4) Between one and four. I guess it depends on the job and where you are looking for it. As a programmer in a large german city, I normally get a job quite easily.

5) depends on the question

Solitudes_Grace

I would talk about my formal education and about my job experience. I wouldn't talk about things like hobbies, personality traits, personal life, volunteer work, etc unless they directly pertain to the type of job I am being interviewed for. I think it is best to be direct and to the point.

I don't think I've ever been stuck.

No, I have not.

I've only ever had two jobs, and both were/are at grocery stores. I was only interviewed once for each job.

I'm not really sure. I guess it depends on the context, such as the nature of the question or the demeanor of the person I was asking. I think that if someone were to go blank on being asked a question, that person is most likely nervous. If I was an interviewer and the person went blank and seemed a little nervous, maybe I would try to rephrase the question to make it more clear or more specific. That might help the interviewee out.

akala

Hey guys, so today my therapist set me some 'homework' and told me to ask as many people as I can this short little survey he made relating to going to interviews whilst having s.a. (a big issue for me) so, if any of you wouldn't mind answering a few questions I'd really appreciate it, and be as honest as you can. Thanks in advance to any who respond.
--------------------------

What a wonderful therapist, mine never gives me homework even if i ask for it... he just says "no just think about how u feel, and i'll just sit here and listen to you next time while you complain and i nod my head" (maybe not the last part)

1) (depends on the work) I am a student who enjoys reading, writing and photography on my spare time, and I also enjoy playing the piano.

2)"what are is your weakness?" (i don't know how to answer this, afraid I might give away something that will make the employer think i'm inadequate for the job... but I've learned that you can say something but state that you're "working on it, and improving yourself in different ways and how ur doing it)

3) Yes I shook the person's hand willingly, :idontknow: i didn't know you were supposed to wait for the person to initiate it lol... and it's good to let the other person lead the conversation, i've talked too much (from being nervous)
and not given a direct answer to the question. so advice to avoid all this is just go with the flow.

4) I always got hired for the jobs I did apply for because i had connections and knew someone like the boss or an employee who referred me

5) I would think that the person must be trying to come up with the "right" answer, or they need to be asked the question in a different way, so that they can understand it better. Or they need time.