Should guns be banned ?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Tough question, there's a lot of different aspects to consider.

Here in Australia (compared to the US) it's much tougher to get hold of guns. Just for having a hand gun illegally sends you to prison for 5 years.
You will never stop gun related crime, no matter how tough gun laws are, but you can reduce it. If you aren't a farmer, in a gun club (shooting range only), a hunter or need it for work, you'll find it extremely tough to get a gun.

From an outsider looking in at the situation in the U.S, I really find it a complex problem. There is the real need for people wanting their children to be safe. Shootings at schools, mass shootings are just terrible. You think people in the U.S would say 'no more', but you have those with their own needs and power attached to it (such as many gun owners, and the national gun lobby) who claim the right to bear arms. In my mind they are putting their love of guns over their love for their children.

I understand that there have been more than 1 mass shooting per day so far this calendar year.

I think Trump (who'm I'm not a fan of nor against him) is in a tough situation. If he makes changes to gun laws to cut crime, he loses votes - and a lot of them. Thats the reality for him. You can't do anything as a politician if you aren't in power. Apparently Obama tried but failed.

A lot of people bring the argument down to two points, safety of people and gun related crime V's the right to bear arms. But there's another point I'd like to raise. I think the government understands that having an armed population makes it almost impossible for an invading force to be successful. And it's true, although the U.S government would never admit to this openly. I believe this is a factor for the U.S government, no matter who is in power there.

One thing is for certain though. As more mass shootings happen and it effects more people, voices grow louder and demand tighter restrictions.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Semi-automatic weapons yes. Farmers need guns, there is a place for responsible, regulated use. Its not about banning guns, it s about banning the type of guns that lead to mass shootings, and ensuring those who use guns are regulated. There is no way the public should have access to high powered automatic to semi-automatic weapons.