shoot for the moon

chibiXphantom

grew up hearing the saying "shoot for the moon. even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." always dismissed it as a cute saying, and never really thought much about it. but as you grow up, people tell those who dare to dream that they should be more realistic, that your chances of making it are only one in a million. you wont be a star. you'll never be a number one best seller. that field is super competitive. you'll be lost in the competition.

so ... should we dream and work toward those "unattainable" goals? or should we settle for what's realistic and ditch our dreams, no matter how far reached they may be?

while chances may be slim that we'll be the next superstar, big time CEO, president, or what have you, there is still a chance. we just have to have a fallback plan. shoot for that best seller and work toward that, even if you just end up selling a few books. i may never be a touring music artist and perform live in front of thousands of fans. i may never become an art director for the next big video game release. i may never become a music producer. but why should the slim odds keep me from trying? why should it keep you from trying to reach your goals?

yeah, you may fail, but if you never try, you put yourself in that failure automatically. if you do fail, at least you know you tried, and you wont be left with regret of never trying.

Sacrament

Dream as much as you want and build on your own potential to be as close your dreams as you can. Be realistic according to what you have right now and to what you'll give yourself the motivation and strength/courage to fight for. Do you dream of owning a massive property with a big *** house? Do your current conditions and efforts bring you anywhere close? If not, then tone it down a bit, and dream of owning independence and stability to begin with. Evaluate where you are now, and build on that.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I would say shoot for the stars. But I can't help but noticing that all the goals and dreams you mentioned are meant to earn loads of money and get recognition and social status, rather than being happy. Maybe it's worth some thought?

Hoppy

Small steps, baby steps. It is amazing what trying to improve a little every day can do.

By all means, dream big, but just concentrate on the next step.

chibiXphantom

I would say shoot for the stars. But I can't help but noticing that all the goals and dreams you mentioned are meant to earn loads of money and get recognition and social status, rather than being happy. Maybe it's worth some thought?

those arent really my goals, just some examples of big dreams i've had at times throughout my life that were shut down right away

i actually dont want to be famous at all. of course i'd like money. who doesnt?

happiness is something that can be achieved by just altering your personality and mindset, and you can be happy no matter what condition or state in life you're in. goals are a separate thing, in my opinion.

chibiXphantom

and this is more about people settling for less because they dont even think there's a chance
not even trying
thinking they'll never make it

not really saying to risk everything for something, but not to give up on dreams. obviously it takes small steps to get anywhere....