Self Help Books

Lostuzer

I'm looking for someway to help myself. Does anyone have any book ideas that might fill the bill? I've seen a posting about and researched The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Would this be something I'd be interested in? I must include, I'm not a believer in God.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Lost

Feathers

Dr David Burns: The feeling good handbook - introduces the basics of CBT too... how to find and challenge belief patterns etc. (It's not specifically for sa, generally anti-depression and bad mood...)

There are a lot of other good books out there...
It depends what you want help with? Maybe if you post some more details we can help better?

alanj

I highly recommend Eckhart Tolle books, especially A New Earth and The Power of Now. These books which may be described as Spiritual are in no ways Religious.

I found Stop Thinking Start Living by psychologist Dr. Richard Carlson really beneficial.

Lostuzer

I live in a motorhome in an RV park (for the last 2 months) which is more like what I thought a trailer park would be. I’m in west central Florida. I’m a 54 year old white, single, male. I’m currently on disability for depression. I’m taking 20mg Lexapro prescribed by a GP when I broke down in a sobbing fit while there for a physical problem (I was so overwhelmed at getting any help). I’ve had depression and SA since I was an early teen. These problems have negatively affected me in every aspect of my whole life. About a month ago I was unable to get my Lexapro and went so deep I thought the only relief I could get was in death. When I was able to connect the suicidal thoughts and lack of meds together I thought I’d give them a try again and see what happened. I’m not feeling as suicidal at this time but still wonder if I’ll be around next week or not. I’ve also started posting on a depression forum. It was at the depression forum that I found the term social phobia. I researched it and did learn something new. I’ve had something all of my adult life I’d never been able to tell a psychologist (when I had the resources to afford one) out of embarrassment and inability to put it into words.

Previously I could only rationalize that it was vanity, fear, or self-consciousness; things I had considered weaknesses.

I, in the late eighties, read many books on depression and about relationships when I was going through a divorce. I remember some books: The Road Less Traveled and another with the cover displaying superman’s cape in a trash can. I do believe I’ve read Dale Carnegie’s book if it is the one with compartmentalizing feelings. I gained much insight but little lasting relief.

I now believe I’ve ignored a huge problem out of ignorance.

Lostuzer

Thank you AlanJ. This is the information I was looking for. I saw The Power of Now on ebay for less than $5 and am going to order it now.

ShyChild

The Chemistry of Joy & The Chemistry of Calm by Henry Emmons, M.D.

I found both books incredibly helpful. Calm is the 2nd book, but I read it 1st as it is geared towards treating anxiety. These books blend Western Science with Eastern philosophy & have a lot of suggestions for treating anxiety/depression without medication. It explained the biochemistry of emotions/feelings so that I could actually understand it.

The Chemistry of Joy & The Chemistry of Calm by Henry Emmons, M.D.

I found both books incredibly helpful. Calm is the 2nd book, but I read it 1st as it is geared towards treating anxiety. These books blend Western Science with Eastern philosophy & have a lot of suggestions for treating anxiety/depression without medication. It explained the biochemistry of emotions/feelings so that I could actually understand it.

These look very interesing. I've had a quick browse of his blog and website and I like his concept of the seven roots of resilience

SevenRoots5001.jpg

panicsurvivor

The Linden method. It is hard work, but if you do it and stick with it, it will work.
It is kind of expensive for some though. But it is money well spent as far as I am concerned.

I read this book many many years ago so that I've forgot what was it all about. Commenting though because I once heard that the author himself has committed suicide.. is that true?

Probably an ongoing rumour
Is it true that Dale Carnegie committed suicide? - Yahoo! Answers

"Though it has been stated that Dale Carnegie died of uremia, (reneal failure) it is widely rumored that he died at age 66 by committing suicide. The rumor began because another author, Irving Tressler, wrote “How to Lose Friends and Alienate People” as an unauthorized parody of the classic Dale Carnegie book. Mr. Tressler later committed suicide and was confused with Dale Carnegie himself. So No, he didn't but the rumors continue"